Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2019, 05:23 PM

33,943 posts, read 22,366,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
Well, I'm a teacher and we would certainly not allow any of our students to strip down in front of others in school. So IMHO school age children should not strip at the beach.

The mom could have held up a towel for changing.
At the very least she could have held up a towel - but going into a nearby bathroom/changing room would be much preferable at that age.

Many children that age are becoming quite modest - they aren't two anymore running around naked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2019, 05:40 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,551,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I don't see why the fact that the child being overweight has anything to do with the title of the thread.

However, to answer the question, I personally don't think any child over the age of three should be naked in front of strangers. Yes, it is true that the great majority of people are NOT pedophiles and that, imo, many parents do tend to be much too protective of their kids these days, but I just don't see any reason to take any risks when it is not at all necessary.
I don't think you would ever wander on to a nude beach, you would have a heart attack...a lot of birthday suits....and you you image even pregnant women in the B-D suits....imagine that....getting a lot of Vit D and their baby's too.

Old 06-22-2019, 05:44 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,193,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I don't think you would ever wander on to a nude beach, you would have a heart attack...a lot of birthday suits....and you you image even pregnant women in the B-D suits....imagine that....getting a lot of Vit D and their baby's too.
Again, it was NOT a nude beach.

Weird you keep mentioning it.

Old 06-22-2019, 06:12 PM

749 posts, read 845,151 times
I don't think Americans are prudish, what we are is very aware, aware of the weirdos, aware of the cameras, video cams, filming drones swooping over the beaches, etc. We are in charge of protecting our kids from becoming victims mostly without any help from 'the system'.

Besides, skin cancer is real, more and more I'm seeing what I call 'baby burkas' - tiny kids covered head to toe for sun protection with older kids in long sleeved rash guards and long board shorts. Parents seem to try to keep the sun exposure down so no nude 3 year olds running around the beach like 25 years ago, again nothing to do with shy or prudish feelings.

Old 06-22-2019, 06:22 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,193,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdr22 View Post
I don't think Americans are prudish, what we are is very aware, aware of the weirdos, aware of the cameras, video cams, filming drones swooping over the beaches, etc. We are in charge of protecting our kids from becoming victims mostly without any help from 'the system'.

Besides, skin cancer is real, more and more I'm seeing what I call 'baby burkas' - tiny kids covered head to toe for sun protection with older kids in long sleeved rash guards and long board shorts. Parents seem to try to keep the sun exposure down so no nude 3 year olds running around the beach like 25 years ago, again nothing to do with shy or prudish feelings.
This.

Old 06-22-2019, 06:54 PM

19,480 posts, read 24,947,864 times
Quote:
Well said.
Quote:
Regarding skin cancer. I visited a relative in northern California in April. I'm sure that he slathered more skin screen on his 3 year old during just that one week than he ever wore during the entire summer when he was a preschooler 30 years ago. And his child NEVER left the house, even in the early morning or late afternoon, without wearing a large hat as protection from the sun.

Old 06-22-2019, 07:56 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,551,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Again, it was NOT a nude beach.

Weird you keep mentioning it.
I know it's not a nude beach, but many making a big deal about a mother changing a kid's swimsuit on the beach, give me a break. I'm just making an example of how they would be mortified at a nude beach....that's all. And yes Americans are quite prudish and victorian vs at least Europeans.

There are weirdos everywhere clothes or not. Wonder how many rapists are hanging around the beaches, I never saw any and I spent years at the beach.

Old 06-22-2019, 08:49 PM

6,033 posts, read 4,380,559 times
It depends, to my way of thinking, on the child. I was very shy, probably taught to be by my mother and grandmother, but my father would often take me to the beach, just the two of us, and there were no changing rooms. I saw other kids change now and then, both genders, and thought not much of it, but refused to be seen myself, so my father would open the car door and hold a large towel up and assure me no one could see and he wouldn't look and that was good enough for me to strip naked and change.

In spite of all that, I also think we're more prudish than we need to be and you definitely have the choice not to look at anyone showing more than you want to see. I imagine if you have your child in a state of undress in public, your radar would on full force to any creepy attention. As you probably do in a public place if they're fully dressed.

Old 06-22-2019, 08:57 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,410,738 times
Many folks here who are convinced there body is totally different then any one else....
It is not just the beach. They are prudish everywhere. Don't dare to talk about it.
You know what. Who tells his or her kids sex is great......

Old 06-22-2019, 09:42 PM

44,257 posts, read 64,046,055 times
People in this country make all nakedness about sex.
It's not healthy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting