U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2019, 08:58 PM

4,476 posts, read 3,314,870 times

Advertisements

I think school-age in general is, for most children, an appropriate age to expect them to follow society's politeness expectations in public in general, which would include rules against public nudity.

That said, being naked and being sexualised aren't the same thing, and to reflexively conflate them where a young kid is concerned is screwed-up too, IMO.

I can think of a few scenarios where getting the kid changed quickly would reasonably supercede concerns about modesty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2019, 09:35 PM

5,421 posts, read 2,336,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I know it's not a nude beach, but many making a big deal about a mother changing a kid's swimsuit on the beach, give me a break. I'm just making an example of how they would be mortified at a nude beach....that's all. And yes Americans are quite prudish and victorian vs at least Europeans.

There are weirdos everywhere clothes or not. Wonder how many rapists are hanging around the beaches, I never saw any and I spent years at the beach.
You never saw rapists?

Old 06-22-2019, 10:06 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,668,250 times
Even though one might not be comfortable to have their children be naked in public at that age, six to seven years old is still too young to pass judgment that the mother is being very immodest, or that all kids should be embarrassed by nudity at that age. There might also be cases or circumstances we don't know on why the mother made that choice. I personally would prefer to send my children to dress/undress privately by that age, but it won't raise any alarm bells to me if there are parents in the USA who think that it's still OK at that age

What I really don't understand with this thread is, granting we have different standards of modesty, what is there to be disgusted about a six-year-old girl changing clothes?

Old 06-23-2019, 04:58 AM

101 posts, read 69,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
How old is too old for children to be changing swimsuit into clothes at a public beach?
If the woman I saw the other day is the correct answer...About 79.

Old 06-23-2019, 05:05 AM

346 posts, read 256,125 times
Many people may think that there is nothing wrong with this young girl changing at the beach. That's fine. But I think the real issue here is that in this day and age with all the wackos out there better safe than sorry. It's really about safety to me.

Old 06-23-2019, 05:26 AM

5,460 posts, read 2,921,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
... And yes Americans are quite prudish and victorian vs at least Europeans.
Not sure why you are so up in arms about it.

So what--we don't have nudes on regular beaches in America. I find it a bit disrespectful that a parent would strip down a seven year old in front of people on a beach. It is not common in America--it just isn't. We are not in Europe.

I didn't go walking around in shorts in Egypt. I had some respect for the Culture. I didn't make fun of them. I just went along with the Culture. When in Rome, do as the Romans.

Old 06-23-2019, 05:43 AM

58 posts, read 10,806 times
At 6 to 7 years old, a child will know whether or not they want to be changed in public, so I would let them make that decision.

Old 06-23-2019, 08:36 AM

7,724 posts, read 9,021,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
Not sure why you are so up in arms about it.

So what--we don't have nudes on regular beaches in America. I find it a bit disrespectful that a parent would strip down a seven year old in front of people on a beach. It is not common in America--it just isn't. We are not in Europe.

I didn't go walking around in shorts in Egypt. I had some respect for the Culture. I didn't make fun of them. I just went along with the Culture. When in Rome, do as the Romans.
Bingo!

Old 06-23-2019, 08:36 AM

10,527 posts, read 12,733,337 times
The beach is not exactly "public". People are already so undressed at that point they are not even thinking about modesty.

Old 06-23-2019, 08:43 AM

1,420 posts, read 797,422 times
2 years, 7 months, 6 days, 5 hours and 33 minutes. Anything older than that is just plain sick.

Its her daughter so she's too old for that when she says she's too old for that. What a non-issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting