Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2019, 07:04 PM

3,156 posts, read 3,325,162 times

Advertisements

I was recently at a beach where it was very busy. While I was there, I saw a mom help change her daughter out of her swimsuit into dry clothes in full view of everyone around them. This young girl looked to be about 6-7 years old and was quite overweight. I had noticed the girl was starting to develop in her chest area.

At the beach there's nice changing stalls near the bathrooms for that purpose. Even if the kid didn't care about changing in front of everyone, I thought it was very inappropriate. The mom was there with 2 other ladies and children. She could of been more discreet about it. Never know if some weirdo may be lurking around the beach. I was a bit disgusted by it.

I think once the kids are out of diapers or pull-ups, kids shouldn't be changing in full view of everyone especially if they're starting to develop. I felt bad for the young girl being exposed like that in front of everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2019, 09:00 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,557,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
I was recently at a beach where it was very busy. While I was there, I saw a mom help change her daughter out of her swimsuit into dry clothes in full view of everyone around them. This young girl looked to be about 6-7 years old and was quite overweight. I had noticed the girl was starting to develop in her chest area.

At the beach there's nice changing stalls near the bathrooms for that purpose. Even if the kid didn't care about changing in front of everyone, I thought it was very inappropriate. The mom was there with 2 other ladies and children. She could of been more discreet about it. Never know if some weirdo may be lurking around the beach. I was a bit disgusted by it.

I think once the kids are out of diapers or pull-ups, kids shouldn't be changing in full view of everyone especially if they're starting to develop. I felt bad for the young girl being exposed like that in front of everyone.
I don't think there is anything wrong with what that mother did, don't look if that bothers you. Now an adult or older kid, yes a problem. Have you ever been to a nude beach? We Americans fear nudity. Many kids would not want their mother to do that anyway. Put a towel around the kid.

Old 06-21-2019, 10:42 PM

797 posts, read 234,727 times
Depending on the child, I think 6-7 is borderline too old.

Thinking back to my years when I was age 5 & 6, there's no way I would have stripped-down in front of anyone.

Just trying to think back to when my kids were that age and what I used to do. Little ones were in diapers, so I would change them on the towel before we left for home, as for the older ones (ages 4 through to around age 5), they did their own thing for the most part, undressing and dressing themselves with minimal help, though by age 5, I seem to remember my kids had grown shy and embarrassed over being caught in the nude.

Old 06-22-2019, 01:27 AM

1,142 posts, read 2,189,003 times
This shouldn't be an issue. Six to seven years old is pretty young. She's so many years from puberty, so that "development in her chest area" is probably just because of her overweight problem. It may be a problem for an older child closer to puberty.

Americans are such prudes. In Europe, so many people, including adults, change in public. Although the adults have towels, they aren't so particular and careful with its use that one can really catch glimpses here and there... No less than the German Chancellor Angela Merkel has been photographed while doing this and published on the British tabloids, and the Germans are condemning the paparazzi and not blaming their chancellor for not covering herself better with the towel.

Old 06-22-2019, 10:49 AM

10,230 posts, read 13,740,817 times
Seems strange someone that age would need help changing. Aside from that, I'll never understand parents not finding a private place. You don't know what kinds of weirdos are out there.

Old 06-22-2019, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
This shouldn't be an issue. Six to seven years old is pretty young. She's so many years from puberty, so that "development in her chest area" is probably just because of her overweight problem. It may be a problem for an older child closer to puberty.

Americans are such prudes. In Europe, so many people, including adults, change in public. Although the adults have towels, they aren't so particular and careful with its use that one can really catch glimpses here and there... No less than the German Chancellor Angela Merkel has been photographed while doing this and published on the British tabloids, and the Germans are condemning the paparazzi and not blaming their chancellor for not covering herself better with the towel.
Yes a lot of prudes.

Old 06-22-2019, 11:47 AM

1,479 posts, read 1,299,224 times
I don’t care if it’s prudish, I don’t want to see other people’s bare bottoms thank you. personally at that age, no big deal. Most likely by next year she will be dressing on her own.

Old 06-22-2019, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tottsieanna View Post
I don’t care if it’s prudish, I don’t want to see other people’s bare bottoms thank you. personally at that age, no big deal. Most likely by next year she will be dressing on her own.
Wear shades and you better never go to a nudist camp. Talk about freedom, that's when one is truly free. No judgements.

Old 06-22-2019, 12:30 PM

102,063 posts, read 106,896,974 times
I have vague memories of little girls at 4 and 5 wearing trunks for swimming, no top. I suppose 6-7 is out of the appropriate age range for that, though.

Developing, at 6-7?? I've heard some girls these days are showing signs of that at6 9, but 6-7---yikes!

Old 06-22-2019, 12:34 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,915,379 times
at our beaches, we have a lot of international visitors.
they change at all ages. "what age is too old?"
i guess when you can no longer do it yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting