U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 12:46 PM

7,105 posts, read 13,429,814 times
Default Diaper rash

What is everyone using for diaper rash these days?

My son's friends were over with their year old son yesterday, his diaper rash is pretty bad. They're using Desitin (original) but I'm not sure if that's the best these days?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2008, 12:50 PM

9,444 posts, read 9,801,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
What is everyone using for diaper rash these days?

My son's friends were over with their year old son yesterday, his diaper rash is pretty bad. They're using Desitin (original) but I'm not sure if that's the best these days?
Desitin sort of helped. However, the best solution for Max's toosh was olive oil and coconut oil.
Also - she should look into what he is eating, sometimes it can mean that he is allergic to something.

Old 04-14-2008, 01:04 PM

7,105 posts, read 13,429,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
Desitin sort of helped. However, the best solution for Max's toosh was olive oil and coconut oil.
Also - she should look into what he is eating, sometimes it can mean that he is allergic to something.
Straight oil or coconut oil? My youngest is 15, it's been a while lol

Yeah, my thought was juices, pretty sure that's his main drink. I will mention to her about foods & allergies.

Old 04-14-2008, 01:08 PM
Status: "Books on my mind (and on my sofa, tables, etc.)" (set 24 days ago)

9,752 posts, read 13,410,741 times
Desitin in the purple box is much better - I use it instead of the regular formula and my daughter rarely gets a rash.

If it is a persistent rash, it may be fungal - in which case the baby should go to the doctor for a prescription formula cream. I agree with the previous poster; certain foods may cause irritation in the diaper.

Old 04-14-2008, 01:11 PM

1,363 posts, read 4,076,915 times
My daughter is 2 and we've been using Desitin and Balmex on her-whichever was in the diaper bag or changing table at the time. They both work fine for her.

Old 04-14-2008, 01:40 PM

110 posts, read 250,929 times
We had a REALLY bad diaper rush and the pharmacist recommended Triple Paste medicated ointment, worked wonders!!!

Old 04-14-2008, 02:45 PM

2,895 posts, read 4,082,579 times
In my experince things such as Desitin only worked if it was put on to prevent diaper rash and not at all if it was used after a rash started.
Personally I swear by Ammens Medicated Powder when it comes to clearing up rashes, unless it's a yeast infection, then you need a prescription. This is what I used at home with all my kids and we used all the time in a child care center infant room. it never failed to clear it up within about one day.

Other people swear by Boudreaux butt paste, though I never tried it mysefl. Or Burt's Bees diaper ointment.

There are some kids who have a nasty reaction to acid, which is typical of many juices. If they see it recurring the keeping a food log and timing when the rashes occur they can possibly eliminate the cause instead.

Old 04-14-2008, 03:13 PM

4,892 posts, read 11,825,656 times
two words--CORN STARCH
let me tell you, my little one had diaper rash so bad i could not change his diaper without him screaming and trying to get away--i tried medicated ointments given to me by doctors--3 to be exact--not 1 worked. one day of corn startch--all gone!
thanks to my parents, i know this trick

Old 04-14-2008, 06:14 PM

5,970 posts, read 12,077,284 times
A friend with a baby was over our house last night. She was using Eucerin for diaper rash. Now I used Eucerin to heal the burn on my breast resulting from radiation therapy and it worked pretty well. Eucerin has also been healing cracks on my heels. I guess then it's pretty effective for healing skin.

Old 04-14-2008, 06:30 PM

2,925 posts, read 4,484,216 times
Roselvr, I'm a Mom of 4 and Grandmom of 6 1/2. Around a year is common for diaper rashes with all of the changes in diet etc. (Our youngest g-baby has a problem with peaches )

I never, ever had any luck with Desitin, it always seemed to make things worse. The BEST thing we have found is Boudreaux's Butt Paste!! Takes just a tiny amount and you will see results overnight. I buy a tube for all of our kid's friends who are expecting and they love it too.

Hubby gets a "heat-rash" on his forehead where his cap sits every summer... we use it for that too! By morning it is almost gone... usually only takes one or two applications and it is all cleared up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting