U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 09:21 AM

15,436 posts, read 7,876,323 times

Advertisements

My dad's mother died when he was 15. He admits he had a LOT of anger issues. He actually skipped school a lot - he said he probably missed 50 days the year his mom died, and he went back and spoke to his coach about it after his mom died because she wanted him to finish school and he wanted to do it so she'd be proud of him.

The coach basically brushed him off and told him he had too many issues and should "get over" losing his mom. His mom died of cancer in the 1970s and she died at home and he remembered her going from 150lbs to less than 80 lbs in 6 month and that is when he started staying away from home and skipping school and being what he says is "angry about the world."

As his teacher, I'd come to this student and tell him I cared about him and was concerned. I'd also let him know that having some anger issues related to his dad's death is normal and understandable and that you want to help him and if he doesn't mind, would he allow you to get the counselor involved to help him through some issues.

I'm thinking his mother may also be suffering if the father was her husband. Even if he was not, if they had a past relationship, I'm sure it would be hard dealing with his loss.

Unless this was typical of him prior to the loss of his dad, then the loss is probably the issue and not "genes" or anything biological. It is great you have taken an interest in him and are trying to help. I wish someone would have helped my dad who was also a great athlete and not a bad student until his mother got sick. He ended up dropping out of school and was an alcoholic and drug addict until his 30s. He went into counseling then and said that his therapist told him to visit his mother's grave as well as he had never visited her grave. He said he went there and cried on her grave for over an hour and that after doing that and working through is grief, he got better. He has been clean about 30 years now and is doing very well, but he does feel if he had a good support network back then, he may not have gone on the path he did with drug addiction/abuse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or