U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2019, 05:40 AM

1 posts, read 298 times

Advertisements

Can powder formula be given to babies under 2 months?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2019, 10:37 AM

16,105 posts, read 17,915,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floraudowell View Post
Can powder formula be given to babies under 2 months?
https://www.todaysparent.com/baby/ba...rmula-feeding/

Quote:
Because powdered formula is not sterile, babies under two months of age, or those who were born prematurely and not yet two months past their expected due date, and babies who have a compromised immune system should only be given concentrated liquid or ready-to-serve formula

Old 06-30-2019, 07:23 AM

11,097 posts, read 17,571,210 times
Our pediatrician gave us samples of powdered formula to feed our baby when she was one week old. She wouldn’t agree with that article at all.

Old 07-02-2019, 06:47 AM

338 posts, read 226,931 times
We've been feeding our twins, who were 5 weeks premature (now 10 months old) powdered formula since they left the NICU (2 weeks for one, 1 month for the other) with both the blessing of our level III NICU team and our pedi. They are both healthy as a horse, and it was one of the better decisions we've made as parents so far.

Old 07-03-2019, 12:35 AM

2,072 posts, read 862,380 times
I always had trouble getting the powder to dissolve properly. Then switched to the canned liquid concentrate. But, yeah, both my sister's used the powder very early like you.

Old 07-03-2019, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie1213 View Post
I always had trouble getting the powder to dissolve properly. Then switched to the canned liquid concentrate. But, yeah, both my sister's used the powder very early like you.
Gotta shake it up hard! This makes a lot of air bubbles which can lead to tummy upset, so I make 2-3 bottles at a time and store them in the refrigerator to let them settle. I warmed them up until my doctor said that is totally unnecessary and I realized my daughter likes them cold anyway.

Old 07-05-2019, 09:45 AM

338 posts, read 226,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Gotta shake it up hard! This makes a lot of air bubbles which can lead to tummy upset, so I make 2-3 bottles at a time and store them in the refrigerator to let them settle. I warmed them up until my doctor said that is totally unnecessary and I realized my daughter likes them cold anyway.
The Dr. Brown formula pitcher makes this a non-issue. It will mix up the thickest of formula with ease.

Old 07-05-2019, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLinderman View Post
The Dr. Brown formula pitcher makes this a non-issue. It will mix up the thickest of formula with ease.
Looks like a good product but I have enough baby junk on my counter as it is!

My method is working just fine. Take a bottle out, make a new one. Never an air bubble problem.

Old Today, 06:16 AM

3 posts, read 316 times
Always use the formula before the ‘use by’ or expiry date on the package. Never use the formula from a container with dents, bulges, or other damage. Do not make your own baby formula.

You can feed your baby ready-to-feed, concentrated liquid or powdered infant formula if your baby is healthy and born at full term, which is 37 weeks or more of pregnancy. If you use a powdered formula, prepare it carefully.

Babies are called ‘high risk’ if:

The baby is born before 37 weeks of pregnancy (premature) and is currently less than 2 months old.
The baby weighed less than 2500 grams at birth and is currently less than 2 months old.
The baby’s immune system is weak, meaning they are more likely to get sick if exposed to germs.
If you are unsure if your baby is ‘high risk’ talk to your health care provider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or