U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2019, 08:52 AM

43,142 posts, read 41,752,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post

And 1972 was 47 years ago.
Way to be pedantic, as usual.

Your experiences aside, things HAVE changed, and schools have policies that specifically address absences like this. They don't include CPS.

Three or four days a year isn't exactly a philosophical crisis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2019, 11:20 AM

141 posts, read 28,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
We are planning on traveling a lot in the next few years with my son. He is now 4 and will travel overseas for the first time next year. (we are going on a cruise to mexico in nov this year but that's not really overseas travel). Scotland first, then hopefully Iceland, Germany, England, Ireland, Italy, Mexico, Peru over the next few years. We want to continue this travel through his school years, going further and more daring locations as he gets older.

I think that a week/ week and half abroad is well worth its educational value and therefore I don't feel guilty taking him out of school in the spring or around the holidays to travel.

Do you think that educational traveling is worth more than sitting in a class room?
Absolutely worth it. We traveled with all three of ours, taking them out of school regularly (my dh is a pilot). I believe they learn so much, including acceptance of differences, while being exposed to other cultures, people, and practices.

My recommendation is to make sure you let the school know, particularly teachers, so you can get any necessary classwork done on the road; this will help the child stay current, and reduce any related issues.

The schools always complain because they lose federal funding with EVERY absence, but don't let this deter you; this is an experience that can change your child forever.

Old 07-05-2019, 07:23 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,744 posts, read 54,373,866 times
I agree with Kim. A vacation to Britain, Rio, Dubai or Tokyo is an opportunity to learn more than in the classroom, and I would consider that perfectly acceptable. The teacher could simply require a report upon returning. Disneyland, the lake, or grandmother’s house not so much.

Old 07-05-2019, 07:56 PM

86,978 posts, read 102,527,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I agree with Kim. A vacation to Britain, Rio, Dubai or Tokyo is an opportunity to learn more than in the classroom, and I would consider that perfectly acceptable. The teacher could simply require a report upon returning. Disneyland, the lake, or grandmotherís house not so much.
Depends a lot on what one does in Britain, Rio, Dubai or Tokyo. By middle school, the student will be required to make up work missed. If in science they're studying volcanoes, the student will be required to learn the material, regardless of whether or not s/he visited Mt. Fuji in Japan.

Old 07-05-2019, 11:09 PM

7,721 posts, read 9,015,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
We are planning on traveling a lot in the next few years with my son. He is now 4 and will travel overseas for the first time next year. (we are going on a cruise to mexico in nov this year but that's not really overseas travel). Scotland first, then hopefully Iceland, Germany, England, Ireland, Italy, Mexico, Peru over the next few years. We want to continue this travel through his school years, going further and more daring locations as he gets older.

I think that a week/ week and half abroad is well worth its educational value and therefore I don't feel guilty taking him out of school in the spring or around the holidays to travel.

Do you think that educational traveling is worth more than sitting in a class room?
Take the damn time off in the summer or over Christmas. That's what it's there for. You can't replicate time in the classroom and that's a major burden on the teachers. He will fall behind by not being in the classroom.

Old 07-06-2019, 01:26 AM

15,842 posts, read 6,238,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Way to be pedantic, as usual.
I'll bypass the insult.

Quote:
Your experiences aside, things HAVE changed, and schools have policies that specifically address absences like this. They don't include CPS.
Actually absence from school is a "red flag" for a CPS report. And if CPS existed in 1972 I am quite sure that the teacher who I referenced in this thread, and one other (who blackballed me from AP history but I received a perfect score without taking the test) would have been liberal reporters. Remember teachers are mandated reporters so an unfounded report has zero consequences for them. For the children and families on the received end, the consequences can be devastating.

Quote:
Three or four days a year isn't exactly a philosophical crisis.
I agree but I didn't enjoy having my grades cut.

Old 07-06-2019, 06:13 AM

43,142 posts, read 41,752,473 times
Quote:

I'll bypass the insult.
It's not an insult. It's a fact. I actually knew you'd comment on the numeric discrepancy but chose to round up anyway, hoping you wouldn't derail the conversation even more. The comment is pedantic because it is not relevant to this discussion.

Quote:
Actually absence from school is a "red flag" for a CPS report.
EXCESSIVE absences are a red flag.

School systems all have their own policies about that, with a specific number that triggers a truancy report. In the previous systems I've worked for it was 29 days.

You're out of your depth here.

Old 07-06-2019, 06:52 AM

10,060 posts, read 4,015,956 times
In my observation, children who miss school because they're traveling to other countries tend to be the very successful students, and missing a little in elementary school doesn't put them at risk for failure, or falling behind.

The problem is, schools get their funding from students in the classroom per day, so some principals can be VERY hard core about taking children out, even for a couple days, especially the more successful, compliant kids.

I wonder if the principal would be as strict with the students who are extremely disruptive, and whose presence makes classroom dynamics a challenge.

Last edited by ClaraC; 07-06-2019 at 07:59 AM..

Old 07-06-2019, 07:01 AM

6,835 posts, read 3,708,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Take the damn time off in the summer or over Christmas. That's what it's there for. You can't replicate time in the classroom and that's a major burden on the teachers. He will fall behind by not being in the classroom.

There's seems to be a fundamental assumption that work will give time off when school is out. Why is that? This isn't the first time this discussion has come up and there always seems to be a discrepancy in belief about workers getting vacation time to match school schedules. That may have been the case 40 years ago, but is certainly not the case today, esp with two parents working at different job and different schedules. During the entire time my kids were in school, I was only a couple of times able to get vacation time that matched their schedules.

A kid's not going to fall behind from missing a couple days or a week. And they can make up what they missed in a couple hours at home.

Old 07-06-2019, 08:53 AM

3,492 posts, read 1,594,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
The problem is, schools get their funding from students in the classroom per day, so some principals can be VERY hard core about taking children out, even for a couple days, especially the more successful, compliant kids.
And that's why I have no respect for today's school system. The whole "Will somebody please think of the children!" dog-and-pony show is really about the money. And if schools get their income due to draconian attendance policies, why do they keep demanding obscene quantities of brand-specific supplies? I'm quite certain they're getting kickbacks from the manufacturers.

I know, I know; I'm "not a parent" . But the schools I remember 30 years ago did actual teaching. They were just starting to turn into circuses, but they weren't there yet. Today, schools are beyond all help, and the only way to fix them is to drain the swamp. At least I'm confident that I won't be putting an innocent child through that experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or