U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2019, 07:30 PM

3,293 posts, read 1,556,250 times

Advertisements

You know,those trips when young are memorable at a certain age. Yeah it's hard to go on school holidays because of $$$$, but cutting of some days before or after school breaks is not that bad.

During the year,if attendance is great,cant see a bad thing about sneaking school days for leisure.

Anything over 12 days absent is excessive. Our sons school states 10 % of the year,but he has good grades. Never been left back for this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2019, 10:46 PM

786 posts, read 367,925 times
This is tricky because I can see the importance of traveling with children and having them experience new people and places, that a textbook wouldn't really do justice. However I do also see the importance of children being in school every day, and how far they fall behind when they are absent for an extended period.

For my family we choose to do the bulk of our traveling when the kids have breaks from school. Yes it is more expensive, and takes more advance planning to find the cheaper deals, but both of our kids are older, one in high school, and one in middle school, and it is a lot harder for them to miss a bunch of days of school and be able to make it up easily.

I feel like we do a good job of giving them the travel experiences they need when they are not in school, and they are getting all the book learning they need while they are in school. Our school does have a lot of three and four day weekends so that allows for more travel opportunities, than where we previously lived and there were much fewer long weekends.

Old 07-07-2019, 09:09 AM

2,886 posts, read 3,213,084 times
In elementary school, it's really not a big deal at all. Our kids always missed up to a week of school each year for trips and it was never an issue.

Once they get to middle and high school, we only traveled during scheduled breaks* - too much work to make up, and the concepts taught are more complex being there to understand them is important.

*Where we live, the kids get the week off in between Christmas and New Years, Thursday and Friday for Thanksgiving, a Friday off in October, a Friday off in February, and the Friday before/Monday after Easter. That's it.

Old 07-07-2019, 11:30 AM

16,083 posts, read 17,880,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
In elementary school, it's really not a big deal at all. Our kids always missed up to a week of school each year for trips and it was never an issue.

Once they get to middle and high school, we only traveled during scheduled breaks* - too much work to make up, and the concepts taught are more complex being there to understand them is important.

*Where we live, the kids get the week off in between Christmas and New Years, Thursday and Friday for Thanksgiving, a Friday off in October, a Friday off in February, and the Friday before/Monday after Easter. That's it.
You forgot summer break.

Old 07-07-2019, 11:54 AM

311 posts, read 109,071 times
Just as a consideration. I know that the 2 months of summer break is the ideal time to travel since there are no school schedules. However both of us work in construction which summer is the busiest time of year for work and it's much more difficult to get a week off than it is in November or march.

Old 07-07-2019, 11:55 AM

17,005 posts, read 17,327,635 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
You forgot summer break.
With those few days off during the school year I image that your children had an exceptionally long summer break. 12 weeks? 13 weeks? 14 weeks? I am glad that you used that time to take your family vacations instead of pulling them out of school.

Old 07-07-2019, 11:58 AM

43,156 posts, read 41,773,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
Just as a consideration. I know that the 2 months of summer break is the ideal time to travel since there are no school schedules. However both of us work in construction which summer is the busiest time of year for work and it's much more difficult to get a week off than it is in November or march.
This ^^ is just one of those factors that every single family has to take into consideration when planning vacations.

Your son is not even in school yet. One or both of you may change jobs by the time this is an actual decision you have to make.

Good companies figure out how to give their employees time off, even during the busy season. You just figure it out.

Old 07-07-2019, 12:12 PM

13,872 posts, read 7,381,208 times
Pulling a kid out of school for Disney or a beach resort or a Caribbean cruise? Nope. Do that during school vacations. It’s not like there aren’t a lot of weeks to pick from. Out of the country somewhere educational? Absolutely.

Old 07-07-2019, 01:28 PM

2,886 posts, read 3,213,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
You forgot summer break.
well, that goes without saying. I only brought that up because I have seen posts talking about multiple long weekends, fall break, spring break, two weeks at Christmas, etc. and that's really quite dependent on school district/part of the country.

Re: summer break- there are lots of places that you could not pay me to go to in the summer (e.g. Disney World). When our kids were little we pulled them out of school for four days in October to go to Disney and it was a blast! Cheaper, and no one melted No regrets.

Old 07-07-2019, 02:21 PM

86,981 posts, read 102,540,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
Absolutely. Travel is an education in itself.
Yes, indeed! (/s) See below:

Quote:
well, that goes without saying. I only brought that up because I have seen posts talking about multiple long weekends, fall break, spring break, two weeks at Christmas, etc. and that's really quite dependent on school district/part of the country.

Re: summer break- there are lots of places that you could not pay me to go to in the summer (e.g. Disney World). When our kids were little we pulled them out of school for four days in October to go to Disney and it was a blast! Cheaper, and no one melted No regrets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or