U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2019, 03:33 AM

12,164 posts, read 9,887,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
I'm not talking about taking 2 weeks off. Im talking about a few days here and there. And unless my child has a chronic illness, both illness and unexcused absences shouldnt be more than 10 days total. Also, visiting a place that is educational such as national parks, zoo's, aquariums, national monuments, historical sites, all have educational value in the visit without rigid learning. Children learn through interaction.
I'm going to go out there where no one would go on this thread. At 4, hanging out at Disney with Mamma and Dadda is educational.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2019, 09:48 AM

9,595 posts, read 5,804,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I'm going to go out there where no one would go on this thread. At 4, hanging out at Disney with Mamma and Dadda is educational.
Agreed!

Old 07-10-2019, 10:13 AM

324 posts, read 114,533 times
Quote:
We spent a week at Disneyworld 18 months ago when the boy was 3 1/2. He still talks about it constantly and it was an amazing experience. definitely worth the money at his age which a lot of people say it isnt

Old 07-10-2019, 11:32 AM

87,008 posts, read 102,606,536 times
Quote:
And that can be done when school is not in session. They're not mutually exclusive, that is, you don't have to give up going to Disney to attend school.

Old 07-10-2019, 11:43 AM

2,658 posts, read 1,551,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
And that can be done when school is not in session. They're not mutually exclusive, that is, you don't have to give up going to Disney to attend school.
Possibly but it depends on circumstances like parentsí work schedules, other family schedules of planning a bigger trip, etc. I wouldnít pull my child out for Disney unless it was a big family reunion but we do pull him out for other family vacations when it canít be planned around school. My husband and I both work full time and sometimes there are only a couple weeks a year that work for our schedules. So far Iíve only taken him out for several days at a time but if we were going somewhere overseas I wouldnít hesitate to pull him out for a week or more.

Old 07-10-2019, 12:01 PM

9,595 posts, read 5,804,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
At the age of 4? Would missing a week or even two of preschool really be an issue? Preschool is totally optional.

Last edited by MissTerri; 07-10-2019 at 12:15 PM..

Old 07-10-2019, 02:38 PM

4,995 posts, read 7,313,860 times
I remember as a child, my family would take a yearly vacation in January to escape the cold of the northeast. Usually would end up missing a week of school to go to the Caribbean and absolutely LOVED it far beyond what missing a week of school could ever provide.... It would usually be toward the end of Jan and they would let the school know in advance, so I would have a bit of homework to do, but as an adult I think back and am so grateful to my parents for this.

I learned so much more in that week than I would in a month of school. The sheer joy of being exposed to different climates, different cultures, different flora and fauna taught me more in a week than a year of geography in school taught me. These trips made me interested in maps in general. I would stare at a map for hours and study the places we would go...to the point that I knew all the countries around it and their climates. I loved the different plants and trees I was exposed to in the tropics and learned all about palm trees, tropical plants, fruits, flowers, etc. I snorkeled and learned all about coral reefs, tropical fish, the environment in general... Please, please do take your child out of school to travel. They are not missing a THING. Life is only once. School, while important, missing a week or two makes no difference. Your child will be richer for it.

Old 07-10-2019, 10:48 PM

1,193 posts, read 877,171 times
Some of this maydepend on public vs private school and how your state funds schools. If you are in private school, you are paying tuition whether you're kids are there or not, so I'm guessing they'll be more flexible.

Per student funding in my state is low compared to costs, and schools are given funding based on the number of students that attend x number of days they attend. Since public schools are chronically cash strapped here, absenteeism can really damage a schools budget, so while principals are understanding of illnesses and deaths in the family and the like, they really frown on people missing for more frivolous reasons. I remember some magnet schools that I toured stating the expectation was if you missed school for a vacation, you should make a "donation" to the school of equal to or greater than the amount the school lost in state funding. Another dual language school I toured said that if a student had more than a certain number of unexcused absences, and 5 is the number IIRC, a report would be filed with child protective service (again, unexcused absences, not excused absences).

That being said, I remember as an elementary student, we got invited to a space shuttle launch and went to Florida for a few days during the school year to watch. It would have been cool, but the launch was scrubbed for bad weather (we were later invited to another one during a summer break that did launch).

Old 07-11-2019, 09:07 AM

15,449 posts, read 7,885,774 times
I take my kids out of school when we go on vacations that are not centered around breaks. We did a week in Los Angeles for my daughter's 10th birthday, which was in September after school started. I didn't feel bad about it.

She also missed a couple days when we went on a vacation abroad for Spring Break, because our flight was Thursday before Spring Break started. My son came as well on that trip.

I think family time is more important than not missing days of school. Plus my kids are good students and are advanced in a lot of subjects and so they don't fall behind. When we have a planned trip, I ask for work for my youngest which she will do on planes or in cars on the way to attractions/events or in the evenings after we settle in for the day after exploring where we are. I especially don't see a big deal of taking a week off school for kids under grade 6. They are doing basic stuff for the most part that it won't hurt if they miss. My oldest is in high school and he worked out doing all his work he missed for those 2 days prior to leaving.

Some places I also do think are more educational than school. School for most kids are pretty boring and I'm a history/culture buff when I travel and so my kids learn a LOT about different people and places of the country and world when we travel. Way more than what they learn in school. I mostly travel to visit museums, archeological sites, historical archives, and libraries.

Old 07-11-2019, 09:11 AM

15,449 posts, read 7,885,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana123 View Post
Possibly but it depends on circumstances like parentsí work schedules, other family schedules of planning a bigger trip, etc. I wouldnít pull my child out for Disney unless it was a big family reunion but we do pull him out for other family vacations when it canít be planned around school. My husband and I both work full time and sometimes there are only a couple weeks a year that work for our schedules. So far Iíve only taken him out for several days at a time but if we were going somewhere overseas I wouldnít hesitate to pull him out for a week or more.
We went to Disney for my daughters 10th birthday lol. We also did some studio tours in Los Angeles and visited the children's science museum and did an historical black history tour (we are black and I always do a black history tour wherever I go in the US lol - even in Europe I've done some great black history tours). I also made her write a 5 paragraph essay about her trip. We had a great time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or