U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-03-2019, 11:08 AM
 
Location: Fort Lauderdale, Florida
9,137 posts, read 8,279,007 times
Reputation: 19759

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
This is what I want. And your parents probably had great memories too!
They do and now that our kids are all over 30, our kids also have great family vaycay memories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-03-2019, 11:09 AM
 
6,165 posts, read 2,849,330 times
Reputation: 15643
Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
the only way to afford these trips is with my job. homeschool isn't an option
It's an option your choosing to dismiss.

Most schools would encourage an adult who takes their child to regions to create that educational notebook. From history to language. To yes even learning the geography. Blend it...incorporate it into the daily sightseeing.

This doesn't seem to be about keeping them educated so much as wishing to be away from home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2019, 11:34 AM
 
Location: Plainfield NJ
311 posts, read 109,071 times
Reputation: 1216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
It's an option your choosing to dismiss.

Most schools would encourage an adult who takes their child to regions to create that educational notebook. From history to language. To yes even learning the geography. Blend it...incorporate it into the daily sightseeing.

This doesn't seem to be about keeping them educated so much as wishing to be away from home.

What do you mean? I work full time year round. We take 1-3 vacations a year, which I hope to use as much as for education as for enjoyment. Quitting my job will mean I am home all year and take no trips as we would struggle to pay bills and have health insurance. So im not sure what the point youre making is? Im dismissing home school because its simply impossible and even if it weren't I don't think I could do it anyway, I feel like it would be a disservice to my children. Taking vacations is very much about being away from home, no one would deny that. However taking a trip away from home to a place that is not just enjoyable but is also educational is my goal. For example my son loves Harry Potter, so if we go to Scotland and England perhaps we will stay in a cool themed hotel and go on a tour. Its historical, geographical and literary. Plus he likes it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2019, 11:43 AM
 
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
11,537 posts, read 13,610,871 times
Reputation: 7747
Ignore that person. This thread isn't a relevant place to discuss that.

Yes, take your kid on vacation. We do it too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
It's an option your choosing to dismiss.
Homeschooling sucks. Pretty good reason to dismiss it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2019, 11:55 AM
Status: "Summer!" (set 14 days ago)
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
86,978 posts, read 102,527,356 times
Reputation: 33045
Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
Travel during those times is often much more expensive and crowded, as well as sometimes inconvenient (such as a large family and traveling at Christmas isn't necessarily feasible)


I don't want to be validated in my decision, I just wanted to open a discussion about educational value of travel vs being in school for the same time. Obviously its easier in elementary than high school and I wouldn't schedule travel during testing or test prep or important school things.
And yet, here you say:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
This is what I want. And your parents probably had great memories too!
in response to a post that says, "I honestly thank GOD that my parents insisted on taking us out of school in elementary, middle school, and high school to travel and see the world."

As far as travel at Christmas not being feasible, kids get two weeks, sometimes more for "winter break". There should be some time in there you could travel.

You got many opinions on the educational value of travel vs being in school. Put me in the group that says travel isn't always "better" than being in class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
I wasn't trying to get feedback on my child or what im doing specifically, just wanted to get some different opinions from different parents on how they feel about missing school for travel experiences. I know whether or not what Im doing is of value to my child, that's not an issue. But you are correct in the part about knowing if my child can study independently which is obviously something I will learn as my child grows and adjust accordingly. Also the week before and after easter is generally considered the spring holiday so tickets cost more and accomodations can be limited especially in places where Christianity is a large part of the population. Christmas is not a travelable holiday for us. Summer is hot and crowded in almost all of Europe, and where it isn't hot its definitely crowded.
Spring break isn't always at Easter. In my district it's the last full week of March, regardless of when Easter is.

So spring, summer and winter breaks aren't feasible for you for some reason. Maybe your district has a "fall break".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2019, 12:26 PM
 
634 posts, read 850,785 times
Reputation: 1458
I think that taking a child out of school for family time is worth it and not usually a problem unless it gets excessive. We have always taken our vacations during school year for many reasons and there have been no ill effects.


1. A lot of schools have all of their work online now. My kids took some time on our vacations to go online and do what work they could while away. This was usually during some of our down time on vacation or when travelling.


2. When they were young (grade school) it was never a problem. My kids weren't behind in school and when we returned they were able to catch up with what was missed.


3. As they got older, we always asked them if they thought they could leave school for x amount of time. We also checked with their schedules to see when it made the most sense to leave (not during midterms or major tests, etc). They were always part of the decision. There were some times when we decided that we couldn't go.


4. For the people that say go when school is out.....I could go to Florida in summer for vacation but I don't want to. It is too hot and there is a lot of crowds. The point of a vacation is to enjoy ourselves. It makes no sense to go somewhere if you are going to be miserable. I am sure that there are times and places where vacation works out when school is out, but I am not going to be tied to that schedule.


5. The point is that school is important but so is family. Missing a few days here and there shouldn't have a major impact on your child's school future. If you think that it will then don't take the time off. You know your kids so make the decision that works for all of you.


I don't regret any of the time that we pulled the kids out of school. The memories and experiences were worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2019, 12:40 PM
 
Location: Fort Lauderdale, Florida
9,137 posts, read 8,279,007 times
Reputation: 19759
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
And yet, here you say: in response to a post that says, "I honestly thank GOD that my parents insisted on taking us out of school in elementary, middle school, and high school to travel and see the world."

As far as travel at Christmas not being feasible, kids get two weeks, sometimes more for "winter break". There should be some time in there you could travel.

".
We did travel over breaks. However they always ran over school.

My dad was a world renown nuclear engineer and still has many patents. He would take us to Europe and Asia often for university lectures.

This wasn't a big deal at any of my schools because my friends parents also worked for the same company and did similar things.

My dad was the very first person sent to Three Mile Island.

Instead of reading about it, I got a first hand account and sat in his lectures about it. In Japan. In communist China.

Hey, he even lectured at Disney!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2019, 01:17 PM
 
Location: Denver, CO
1,699 posts, read 4,060,618 times
Reputation: 1260
Our school built in two 1-week blocks during the year where we could do educational travel, and the kids have to present a paper/project upon return as evidence of research done/knowledge acquired.


We also traveled extensively during breaks, they are more expensive than off-peak times but it's unavoidable. My kids like the structure of school so making up work is much more disruptive to them. As others have said, it shouldn't have to be one or the other, collectively they shape your child into who they are as adults.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2019, 01:20 PM
 
2,994 posts, read 6,481,074 times
Reputation: 5540
Dear School Teacher,

Please educate my child for me except for the days that I want to take him on a vacation because I think that is more valuable than sitting in your classroom. This isn't one vacation trip here or there, it is our family philosophy to travel during the school year because the places that we want to go to are less crowded and it doesn't interfere with our family holiday celebrations. In order for him to miss school for travel, we will need you to put together his work ahead of time and allow him time to make up other work when he returns. I know that you think that the classroom discussions regarding books or lessons are valuable, but we are satisfied to just have him complete the assigned tasks and miss out on that sort of learning.

And, no, I can't home school because that is simply impossible and would require too great of a financial sacrifice. I'd rather my child get a free education - but only on the days that it is convenient for us.

Signed,
Travel loving Parent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2019, 01:36 PM
 
Location: Brentwood, Tennessee
43,142 posts, read 41,752,473 times
Reputation: 82836
Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post

We take 1-3 vacations a year, which I hope to use as much as for education as for enjoyment. Quitting my job will mean I am home all year and take no trips as we would struggle to pay bills and have health insurance. .
Then you're just talking about what most every family tries to do.

This is just overthinking. Schools know that families travel, and they have policies in place for it. Your personal justifications for the trip really don't matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top