Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2019, 07:51 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,928,809 times

Advertisements

In theory, I do believe that kids can get more out of traveling and exposure to people, culture and diversity than they can get sitting in a classroom learning all of that from a book and a teacher. I also think that the logistics of travel are great for kids to learn how to manage - converting currency, public transportation, finding your way around a strange city...

However - practically speaking, missing school for days in a row is a very complicated thing for most kids. It isn't just the homework, quizzes and the tests that have to be made up it is also all of the content that builds upon itself so that missing bits and pieces here and there can lead to difficulties down the road. Additionally, there are complications for sports or music where if a child misses too many practices he can't play in the game or perform in the orchestra concert. Maybe home schooling is a better option that would allow you to supplement the curriculum with travel rather than having to oppose a system where travel might not be as valued.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2019, 07:52 AM

1,316 posts, read 747,009 times
I think travel is important, and I have pulled my kids out of school for it. FTR, they go to a public school, and I have never had pushback. Some teachers ask them to do a short report or presentation, some have just handed over homework to be done after we return.

We have done it less & less as they got older (my son just graduated from HS, my daughter is just going in to HS). I don't regret a single day of it.

Old 07-03-2019, 08:30 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,894,485 times
Travel is an incredibly enriching experience for kids if the family can afford it. One other thing to consider as your child gets older is his personality.

Out of my three, all were good students, but one In particular hated missing school and would get extreme anxiety at the thought of it.

In fact the day his baby brother was born, he looked at him and said, “Cute. Can Nana take me to school now?” He just didnt like the hassle of making up work or asking for what he missed.

Old 07-03-2019, 08:51 AM

1,860 posts, read 1,243,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Travel is an incredibly enriching experience for kids if the family can afford it. One other thing to consider as your child gets older is his personality.

Out of my three, all were good students, but one In particular hated missing school and would get extreme anxiety at the thought of it.

In fact the day his baby brother was born, he looked at him and said, “Cute. Can Nana take me to school now?” He just didnt like the hassle of making up work or asking for what he missed.
Yeah I think the children and their personalities absolutely affect the ability to travel. If he gives pushback about not wanting to travel for school, no problem. We will work around that. If he isn't a good traveler, we will adjust, if he wont sit and do his school work because paris is more fun than math, we will adjust. Life is just a series of adjustments anyway

Old 07-03-2019, 08:52 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,694,200 times
Yes. Our family did it every year.

Old 07-03-2019, 09:12 AM

1,013 posts, read 724,098 times
At age 4, I see no problem. At such a young age he probably won’t remember much. We traveled a lot with our sons during school vacations as well as occasionally during school. When they reached high school they said it was too difficult to miss classes and try to make up the work.

I agree that learning about our own country and other countries is valuable education.

Old 07-03-2019, 09:17 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,094,368 times
I honestly thank GOD that my parents insisted on taking us out of school in elementary, middle school, and high school to travel and see the world.

I don't remember a single test I missed, tennis match I didn't attend, swim meet and I didn't show up for but I remember standing on the beaches of Normandy with my family, Thanksgiving spent in London, driving across the US to see the Grand Canyon, etc.

I remember everything I saw, I remember every single memory I have traveling with my family but could not tell you what I missed.

When I'm old and on my deathbed, I'll remember kayaking in Lake Tahoe with my sister as kids.

Old 07-03-2019, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
I honestly thank GOD that my parents insisted on taking us out of school in elementary, middle school, and high school to travel and see the world.

I don't remember a single test I missed, tennis match I didn't attend, swim meet and I didn't show up for but I remember standing on the beaches of Normandy with my family, Thanksgiving spent in London, driving across the US to see the Grand Canyon, etc.

I remember everything I saw, I remember every single memory I have traveling with my family but could not tell you what I missed.

When I'm old and on my deathbed, I'll remember kayaking in Lake Tahoe with my sister as kids.

This is what I want. And your parents probably had great memories too!

Old 07-03-2019, 09:33 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,728,957 times
It’s easy to do in elementary but gets harder in middle in high school as the kids have to play catch up. You could always homeschool.

Old 07-03-2019, 10:02 AM

the only way to afford these trips is with my job. homeschool isn't an option
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting