Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2019, 08:01 AM

34,990 posts, read 16,956,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
I despise when people say small children get nothing from traveling and therefore its a waste. Children have as much ability to learn as anyone else, as evidenced by all the people saying missing school is the end of his schooling career. Either he is capable of learning i.e. needs school every hour its offered and therefore can also learn from a trip abroad OR he is not capable of learning from a trip abroad and therefore school is probably a waste at his age anyway
Exactly, see above, http://www.city-data.com/forum/55622917-post145.html.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2019, 08:14 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,685,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Weird bc
A. You'd think first grade math is something any parent could teach.

and

B. In my kids' lower grade classes, the math skills this early on are all over the place from student to student. Some are working on addition and subtraction of 1 digit numbers while others work on simplified algebra concepts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Most people, yes. "Teaching" first grade math is playing games of a certain sort with them!

Current math curriculum at this age is not mastery based (which is good)! Those topics will come back 'round and are nothing that cannot be done at home.
Good Grief! I (and others) give an example, and people are all over the example. Missing three weeks of school which I did in first grade with measles IS a big deal, no matter where I was with my math before I got sick or how it was taught!

And if it's so trivial that it can be done at home, why go to school?

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 07-09-2019 at 09:03 AM..

Old 07-09-2019, 08:34 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,728,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Good Grief! I (and others) give an example, and people are all over the example. Missing three weeks of school which I did in first grade with measles IS a big deal, no matter where I was with my math before I got sick or how it was taught!
It sounds like it was a big deal for you but that doesn’t mean it would be a big deal for others.

Old 07-09-2019, 09:13 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,685,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
It sounds like it was a big deal for you but that doesn’t mean it would be a big deal for others.
You are completely misinterpreting what I said. Why do we have schooling, if it's that unimportant? (Homeschooling or otherwise)

Old 07-09-2019, 09:18 AM

Quote:
You are completely misinterpreting what I said. Why do we have schooling, if it's that unimportant? (Homeschooling or otherwise)
How am I misinterpreting?

Old 07-09-2019, 09:18 AM

3,319 posts, read 1,813,701 times
Quote:
Most kids my age never went to kindergarten!
It's important now because it is DAYCARE which supports the two income family.

Old 07-09-2019, 09:32 AM

1,860 posts, read 1,243,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaIamela View Post
Most kids my age never went to kindergarten!
It's important now because it is DAYCARE which supports the two income family.

I don't think kindergarten is even required still. School is compulsory between age 6 and 16. I wouldn't skip kinder but you can go to kinder at daycares which aren't technically schools and it still counts.

Old 07-09-2019, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
I don't think kindergarten is even required still. School is compulsory between age 6 and 16. I wouldn't skip kinder but you can go to kinder at daycares which aren't technically schools and it still counts.
It’s not required where I live. One of my kids didn’t go to it nor did she go to preschool. She’s no worse for the wear for having started school in first grade at the age of 6.

Old 07-09-2019, 09:52 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,180,528 times
[quote=Katarina Witt;55623410]Good Grief! I (and others) give an example, and people are all over the example. Missing three weeks of school which I did in first grade with measles IS a big deal, no matter where I was with my math before I got sick or how it was taught!
[/quoe]
I am sorry that it was hard for you! I don't think three weeks in first grade is or would be a very big deal for most kids.

Quote:
And if it's so trivial that it can be done at home, why go to school?
So if 3 week absence is not a problem then school has no value. Is that how logic works for you?

Old 07-09-2019, 09:55 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,180,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
It’s not required where I live. One of my kids didn’t go to it nor did she go to preschool. She’s no worse for the wear for having started school in first grade at the age of 6.
Many years ago I was a child care provider. I had a lot of interaction with the early childhood educators at the local school as I had some disadvantage little ones in my care. ALL of them focused on the social/emotional skills (rightly) at this age. Three weeks away would have been problematic for some, depending on their home life, but not most.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting