U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2019, 02:14 PM

3,611 posts, read 3,171,567 times

Advertisements

I have three children pretty close together in age. We traveled when they were little, but only in a car. Mine are teens now, but we took along a portable VCR with their favorite shows they could watch. We stopped every couple of hours. We usually didn't travel more than six hours away. If we did, we broke it up and stayed in a hotel with a pool or went to McDonalds with a Playland etc., so there was something for them to do. Trips were centered around them and what they wanted to do and were capable of. I had a double stroller with one seat in front of the other. My middle child would stand on the back if my oldest child wanted to ride. I kept the underneath part packed with snacks, drinks and diapers. We did from an early age with them so they were acclimated to travel. If we needed to travel longer, we would leave at night and travel during their sleep hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2019, 11:04 AM

598 posts, read 262,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
Capital, I feel for you! Twins are hard enough, but twins with a 2 yr old, also? I wouldn't even be able to get out of the house! It gets easier (unless you have more too soon). Are you near either of the grandmothers? Maybe you could travel to a grandmother, and leave the twins with her while you and spouse and toddler do something fun together? Better yet, could grandparents come to you to take care of the kids, and YOU and spouse leave for a vacation? Normally, I would say just dump the baby on Grandma and Grandpa and go on a vacation together, but I'm afraid that caring for a 2 yr old and infant twins would kill an older person!
You know thanks for taking the time to provide all these wonderful suggestions. Most of our family is in NJ, their grandmother came for couple of weeks to help out. We just didn't take the opportunity to use that time for vacation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
I have three children pretty close together in age. We traveled when they were little, but only in a car. Mine are teens now, but we took along a portable VCR with their favorite shows they could watch. We stopped every couple of hours. We usually didn't travel more than six hours away. If we did, we broke it up and stayed in a hotel with a pool or went to McDonalds with a Playland etc., so there was something for them to do. Trips were centered around them and what they wanted to do and were capable of. I had a double stroller with one seat in front of the other. My middle child would stand on the back if my oldest child wanted to ride. I kept the underneath part packed with snacks, drinks and diapers. We did from an early age with them so they were acclimated to travel. If we needed to travel longer, we would leave at night and travel during their sleep hours.
That is what we did with out 2 year old but with twins and our sleep schedules. It gets very exhausting to even step out. I think we're just going to have to wait till they're at least 6 months till we plan something like this with all 3.

Old 07-08-2019, 01:43 PM

9,637 posts, read 10,348,727 times
We have two 6-year old boys, and a 20-month old boy. Vacations are...exhausting.

We just got back from the first of a few trips this summer and i'm still trying to catch up on sleep. We have three family vacations and two out-of-state weddings to attend and i'm just dreading it. The days are long and exhausting, and not being in your home environment keeps you on your toes. Just packing for the trip is something I dread.

I much prefer the staycation. Kids are in their home environment so the routine stays somewhat intact. You can pack as you needed for short trips to local amusment parks or activity centers and such, and generally break it up and are able to actually relax.

Wife and I have a weekend away in October...that will probably be our first true vacation this year even though we will be away a lot this summer.

I actually wish the wife said no to the two out-of-state weddings for 3rd cousins I've never met....but that's a whole different thread.

Old 07-08-2019, 01:52 PM

6,612 posts, read 2,384,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitalprophets View Post
From all the feedback I'm getting. I feel most of the parents rather stay home or hire baby sitters. Some people like myself are not too comfortable with hiring a baby sitters for toddlers. I guess flying to UK for a cousin's wedding is out the option even though it would have been nice for family to see the babies.

It really came as a surprise of how much one has to give up to take care of 3 little ones. Family, friends continue to do things even if you can't make it. It wouldn't be fair to them if they didn't anyway. Overall I am truly grateful and couldn't ask for anything better, kids are a true blessing. It's just a matter of time they grow up.

Could you afford to bring along an extra person? Someone that could help with the kids?

Old 07-08-2019, 02:18 PM

6,215 posts, read 2,874,385 times
veering a tad off topic: My son and his lovely wife ( whom I adore), had a challenging year on the medical front. They decided that this summer was a One on One vacation with their two daughters- Ages 6 and 2.
Basically they both took the one daughter to the shore.While the other child stayed behind at the grandparents. It was a win win I suppose. I'm old school and proud of it. So I tend to disagree with separating the kids during a family outing such as that. I do understand that times change ...and folks will re-invent the wheel. I just find that if my mom could slap 8 kids in a vw van, haul around the beach balls and boogie board to make our family stay together...then schlapping two kids around is not a noble peace prize challenge.

At my age (over 50), I have not the energy to attend to more then one toddler at a time so my hats off in that venture to the younger parents. I find that consistency in schedule when on holiday still is key. Be it their nap time or meal time. Diets stay the same with a few introduction to local foods if traveling.

yes a temp nanny service is a realistic idea to ponder.

Old 07-11-2019, 08:42 AM

147 posts, read 27,162 times
Yeah there’s no way I’d personally get on a plane in that situation. I didn’t fly with my 2 kids when they were 2 and 4 on a 3 hour flight. It wasn’t too bad. It was DH and I.

Old 07-12-2019, 09:44 AM

243 posts, read 74,696 times
BostonMike7, I'm exhausted just reading about your summer travel plans. Can you dial it back a bit?
My recommendation is to send the wife to the weddings and stay home with/without the kids. You will thank yourself (and me) later.
And, you're welcome!

Old Yesterday, 04:52 PM

38,233 posts, read 14,941,272 times
Vacations for Mamas are rarely relaxing. You do the same things you always do but without the conveniences of home.

Our niece just got back from a "vacation" that involved lengthy car rides. She's exhausted. Their toddler is hoarse from screaming for hours on end.

Staycations sound wonderful in theory. In practice, it is just being home. Even with catered dinners, and trips to museums, it is still just being home.

That said, we've done both. We've hauled our kids all over creation, and we've had staycations. The important thing is spending time with each other.

Old Yesterday, 04:59 PM

38,233 posts, read 14,941,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitalprophets View Post
Handling twins with a 2 year old running around is definitely not easy let alone going on a vacation with them. Was looking to see how some of you parents have come around motivating yourself to get out the house and making long trips and going on vacations.
I motivated myself by focusing on how important it was to visit relatives, so that the kids would know their grandparents, their cousins, their aunts and uncles.

I also loved the times that it was just our family. Loved when we could push the world away for a time and just play on the beach or walk in the woods.

It is fun showing them the world, seeing the world through their eyes.

e used to drive at night. Take the red eye flights so they would sleep a good part of the way.

The rest was just an endurance test.

Old Today, 10:19 AM

9,637 posts, read 10,348,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldPuss View Post
BostonMike7, I'm exhausted just reading about your summer travel plans. Can you dial it back a bit?
My recommendation is to send the wife to the weddings and stay home with/without the kids. You will thank yourself (and me) later.
And, you're welcome!

Trust me, I tried. I've already put in a request to tone it down next year to two trips max. FIVE out of state trips is too much.

As we speak...starting to gather our belongings for trip #2....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or