U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2019, 12:23 PM

598 posts, read 262,334 times

Advertisements

Handling twins with a 2 year old running around is definitely not easy let alone going on a vacation with them. Was looking to see how some of you parents have come around motivating yourself to get out the house and making long trips and going on vacations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2019, 03:30 PM

4,828 posts, read 1,847,687 times
Leave them home?

Old 07-04-2019, 03:42 PM

23,785 posts, read 8,287,252 times
Sitting here and reading OP's post makes me dog tired. I'm thinking staycation, pool in backyard and nice foods brought in for mom/pop and just relaxing, travelling with 3 little ones!!!!! I'm of the belief that little little ones are best at home in their own environment until maybe 5 yrs on...

Last edited by jaminhealth; 07-04-2019 at 04:02 PM..

Old 07-04-2019, 04:15 PM

4,828 posts, read 1,847,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Sitting here and reading OP's post makes me dog tired. I'm thinking staycation, pool in backyard and nice foods brought in for mom/pop and just relaxing, travelling with 3 little ones!!!!! I'm of the belief that little little ones are best at home in their own environment until maybe 5 yrs on...
That sounds like a great idea . . . mom and dad can hire a babysitter to take care of the kids at home, and have their dinners catered, and do extra special things for all. I love the little pool in the backyard. My kids loved that. Popsicles for the kids - special foods for all - hire babysitter and cleaning person - could save a bundle and make it fun.

I bet there are a lot of ideas online on staycations for families with small children.

Old 07-04-2019, 04:39 PM

43,350 posts, read 41,900,880 times
With multiples, I always favored driving over flying so we could at least control the travel schedule and also carry whatever supplies we needed.

I had to let all my expectations out the window, go with the flow, stop when we needed to, and carefully watch that they didn't eat or drink too much of anything so they didn't get upset stomachs. (Sometimes the travel menu for little kids can tend toward too many chicken nuggets and lemonade, which can make them barfy.)

I also packed little cheap surprise toys that I brought out every few hours or so that kept them interested and occupied.

Since you're outnumbered by the kids, if possible invite grandparents or an aunt and uncle to meet you or go along for backup.

Old 07-04-2019, 11:54 PM

994 posts, read 720,560 times
We flew overseas once a year with twins from when they were 11 months. It got really easy after 3 years old.

Old 07-05-2019, 08:48 AM

11,088 posts, read 17,564,975 times
I'm nervous about my plane trip this month with ONE baby.

Old 07-05-2019, 11:34 AM

2,302 posts, read 2,685,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitalprophets View Post
Handling twins with a 2 year old running around is definitely not easy let alone going on a vacation with them. Was looking to see how some of you parents have come around motivating yourself to get out the house and making long trips and going on vacations.
Is it important to you that you get away and where do you plan to go and how - drive, train, plane, etc.?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Leave them home?
As long as you have reliable and trustworthy people, I think this might work. It all depends on your situation and if you have people to care for your babies that you can absolutely trust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Unless you really want to go out of town and would have fun staying at home, this staycation idea sounds wonderful. Sometimes though, you just want to get away and travel. Depends on what would work best for you.

Since you didn't say what your goals are as far as wanting to get out of town or see new places or just have a break from everyday life, I don't know what would work best for you, OP. You also didn't mention your budget or many other details.

If your budget allows it, and you want to actually travel and take your babies with you, what about hiring a young person to go with you on vacation and their job would be to take care of the children while you explore your chosen destination?

If you are planning to travel someplace fun, you could possibly get two young nursing school students or the like and have them join you on vacation with the primary goal of taking care of your children. They might even be willing to do it for "free" in exchange for the opportunity to travel. You could pay their way and they could take care of the babies, but still have a little bit of time off to have fun on their own.

When I was a nursing professor, several times I had people ask me for nursing school students that would want to work as nannies for their children for extra money, etc. If this interests you, you could contact a local nursing school and ask one of the professors to give you recommendations for students who would be interested in doing this and they would be able to give you the names of some young people who are trustworthy and reliable.

Like I said, I did this several times for different families and I always made sure to only recommend people who I would hire myself and that I trusted. It worked out quite well every time I did this. Some of the families developed long term and wonderful relationships with the students that I introduced them to.

Old 07-05-2019, 11:08 PM

598 posts, read 262,334 times
From all the feedback I'm getting. I feel most of the parents rather stay home or hire baby sitters. Some people like myself are not too comfortable with hiring a baby sitters for toddlers. I guess flying to UK for a cousin's wedding is out the option even though it would have been nice for family to see the babies.

It really came as a surprise of how much one has to give up to take care of 3 little ones. Family, friends continue to do things even if you can't make it. It wouldn't be fair to them if they didn't anyway. Overall I am truly grateful and couldn't ask for anything better, kids are a true blessing. It's just a matter of time they grow up.

Old 07-06-2019, 11:22 AM

4,129 posts, read 3,789,109 times
Capital, I feel for you! Twins are hard enough, but twins with a 2 yr old, also? I wouldn't even be able to get out of the house! It gets easier (unless you have more too soon). Are you near either of the grandmothers? Maybe you could travel to a grandmother, and leave the twins with her while you and spouse and toddler do something fun together? Better yet, could grandparents come to you to take care of the kids, and YOU and spouse leave for a vacation? Normally, I would say just dump the baby on Grandma and Grandpa and go on a vacation together, but I'm afraid that caring for a 2 yr old and infant twins would kill an older person!

Twenty years ago, we had to turn down an offer of an all expense paid trip to Israel when we had very young children. The grandparents were always oriented toward activities for the age of their oldest grandchildren, so a family trip to Israel for them, when they were ten and twelve years old was perfect, but not for us, with a baby and a two year old. This was just the way it was, and we had to accept it. It sounds as if you have a very good attitude about it. Remember, it gets a lot easier. Soon they will all be able to travel, and you can take some wonderful family vacations together in a few years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or