U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2019, 05:57 AM

61 posts, read 18,633 times

Advertisements

I assume that most young adults/teens have part time jobs these days. I wonder what they spend their money on. Do you prohibit certain things like alcohol, weed, drugs or are you permissive of them. Do they pay rent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2019, 06:18 AM

376 posts, read 134,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by celticseas View Post
I assume that most young adults/teens have part time jobs these days. I wonder what they spend their money on. Do you prohibit certain things like alcohol, weed, drugs or are you permissive of them. Do they pay rent?
of course my teens aren't allowed to buy weed/drugs/alcohol as all those things are illegal. No they don't pay rent as they are still children under my care. If they have a car they will pay for gas, they pay for their clothes at the mall. They buy food when they are with their friends.

Old 07-22-2019, 07:21 AM

10,636 posts, read 14,432,518 times
Which is it, young adults or teens?
When my kids turned 21 what they spent their earnings on was no longer my business as long as they weren't doing anything illegal in my home. As young adults they were required to pay rent if they were not enrolled in school full time and attending classes with passing grades.
As kids in middle and high school they typically spent their money on going out with friends, computer hardware and software, video games, and any expensive name brand labels they wanted and could afford.

Old 07-22-2019, 07:57 AM

12,653 posts, read 10,017,404 times
Quote:
Our 1 year old has chosen not to pursue higher education at this time. She is looking for more gainful employment than she currently has. She will begin to pay rent soon. Our 15 year old buys whatever she wants. She wants to save for a car. Of course we don't "let" them by drugs. What kind of question even is that?

Old 07-22-2019, 09:09 AM

61 posts, read 18,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Our 1 year old has chosen not to pursue higher education at this time. She is looking for more gainful employment than she currently has. She will begin to pay rent soon. Our 15 year old buys whatever she wants. She wants to save for a car. Of course we don't "let" them by drugs. What kind of question even is that?
"our 1 year old".

lol....haha. presumably you mean 18-19yr old? I didn't think toddlers could not pay rent.

Old 07-22-2019, 10:18 AM

1,455 posts, read 1,132,628 times
Quote:
No my husband and I buy their drugs and alcohol, why should they have to spend their own money on the necessities? I hand it out on Monday mornings along with their lunch money for the week.

Old 07-22-2019, 10:24 AM

3,926 posts, read 4,683,164 times
Quote:
My teens don't pay rent and I certainly don't allow purchase of anything illegal.

However, one of my teens saved and bought her own car with her money, and now pays for her insurance (which is under my name but she submits to me her portion every month), her gas money, and entertainment (i.e., movies, books, etc.).

Her one vice is art, so she spends a lot on art supplies and is saving up for a legit pro drawing tablet to replace the cheap one she has now.

My other teen is not old enough to work yet, so he is in saving mode (all monetary gifts for birthday/Xmas and money earned for things like mowing the lawn) in order to buy his own car once he turns 16, with plans to begin working at that point in order to pay HIS portion of insurance, gas money and general entertainment as well.

Old 07-22-2019, 11:39 AM

12,653 posts, read 10,017,404 times
Quote:
"our 1 year old".

lol....haha. presumably you mean 18-19yr old? I didn't think toddlers could not pay rent.
LOL. My keyboard is being super flakey. Yes 18 yo.

Old 07-22-2019, 01:07 PM

5,346 posts, read 5,343,610 times
We pool the drug money so we can place a bulk order for the family. It's getting expensive because grandma has developed quite the tolerance.

Old 07-22-2019, 01:34 PM

11,185 posts, read 20,634,487 times
My kids are in high school, but they don't have jobs. I prefer that they focus on school, and also that they have some time to enjoy being kids before they have to start working. They get money for birthdays and holidays. They spend it on art supplies and video games. One of them wanted a 50" tv for her bedroom last year, so she pooled birthday money from us and her grandma, sold some toys she'd outgrown, and convinced us to pay the sales tax and buy the tv mount.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or