Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 05:40 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,491,759 times

Advertisements

i would not yet put a 3 week old flat on his back
i would roll a spit up cloth into a roll and prop him on his side. he may feel like being on his back upsets his tummy and will need to burp and will therefor cry. in the bouncy seat he is kind of sitting up which is more comfy
i did this with my son until he was able to roll himself around,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2008, 05:43 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,144,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
The nurse in NICU told me the babies in there slept through the night because the lights were always on and this forced them to shut their eyes, so that is what I did with ALL of my children. The neighbors probably thought I was nuts.

I have 6 children and only 1 did not sleep through the night after 2 weeks. It's worth a try.
Didn't they wake up to be fed? I didn't think a newborn could go so long without eating.

Old 04-15-2008, 06:00 PM

1,244 posts, read 3,225,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnie741 View Post
I now have an almost 3 week old. Any suggestions on how to get him to sleep in his bassinette? He loves to sleep in his bouncy chair. However, getting him to sleep on his back in his bassinette is not happening. I hate to let him cry it out at such a young age. So far we have been letting him sleep in the bouncy chair at night but now eventually he is going to have to get use to sleeping flat on his back. Any suggestions would help or if anyone had a similiar issue.
My kids never did like sleeping on their backs. In fact, they are now 19 and 15 and mostly still don't do it. When they were little like yours they were placed in the bassinet and later the crib on their sides with either those baby blankets rolled up to prop them or (goodness it's been a long time, I don't remember what they are called lol) those things they sell at most baby stores to prop them up on their sides.

At 3 weeks old, I would feel this is the safest option for the baby. My son particularly quickly learned to turn onto his belly and slept best that way. It could very well just be that your baby does not like the feeling of sleeping on his back for whatever reason. I'd try the laying him down on his side first. If that doesn't work you may need to try on the belly. I'd put that off a bit longer still if possible but if not there are things you can do to prevent the concerns that come along with placing a baby on its belly, things like proping the head just a bit to ensure breathing room. Your pediatrician should be able to offer some more advice on that.

Old 04-15-2008, 06:01 PM

20,797 posts, read 9,743,388 times
May I suggest you put your baby on his side with blankets rolled behind him...you can buy one of those wedge things also..but why spend.
I run a day care and I have 2 babies that will only sleep in their seats also.. Maybe that is how they feel secure.
Good Luck!

Old 04-15-2008, 06:13 PM

149 posts, read 515,668 times
Id try letting him sleep on his tummy too. Both my kids slept on my chest, facing me for the first moth or so. Then i slowly started transitioning them. My daughter (eldest) HATED the bassinet- she had to be able to see what was going on. My son (now 2) loved his bassinet.

just like grown ups, babies have their preferences!

Old 04-15-2008, 06:15 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,251,255 times
My kiddos would sleep from 12-5 or 6 am, no problem. Maybe I was just lucky!

Old 04-15-2008, 07:12 PM

1,261 posts, read 6,105,626 times
When my girl was that age, she also fell asleep easily with movement (i.e., bouncer, swing, holding her in rocking chair), but she was able to stay asleep once I placed her in the crib. What helped keep her asleep was swaddling. The SWADDLEME worked great and was very easy to use.

Old 04-15-2008, 07:41 PM

895 posts, read 4,249,046 times
None of my four would sleep in the basinette for long periods of time. The bouncy seat and the swing is where they spent most of their sleep time for the first four or five months. And then I just threw them in the crib and they stay there until they can climb out and terrorize my other children

Old 04-15-2008, 08:15 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,940,609 times
My youngest had the same issue. The pediatrician said it was fine to let her sleep strapped into her carseat. It was only a problem with her overnight... she didn't mind napping on the floor during the day, but didn't want to go into the bassinet or crib.

At 6 weeks, I just got a wild thought. Instead of rolling up a CLEAN blanket/diaper/whatever, I placed a T-shirt I had slept in the night before around the pad of the bassinet and rolled up the one I'd been wearing that day to lay next to her. I put her down and she went right to sleep.

This child was my "good sleeper". She was sleeping 5 hours a night at least beginning at 5 days old. By the time I finally tried this, she was sleeping (on average) 9-10 hours overnight. (Before I get flamed for this... the ped knew about it and said that as long as she was healthy and gaining weight normally, this was fine)

Old 04-15-2008, 08:55 PM

110 posts, read 379,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlv311 View Post
When my girl was that age, she also fell asleep easily with movement (i.e., bouncer, swing, holding her in rocking chair), but she was able to stay asleep once I placed her in the crib. What helped keep her asleep was swaddling. The SWADDLEME worked great and was very easy to use.
Used the same thing (swaddleme) in addition to sleep positioner, rolled up blanket was not holding her in place, she was roling over it all the time, didn't like the bassinet at all. Good luck, it will pass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting