Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2019, 03:01 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,190,645 times

Advertisements

Another U.S. thread about their paranoid obsession with the flesh, nakedness and sex.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2019, 09:20 AM

3,155 posts, read 2,699,769 times
I'ma try an totally hijack this thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
Lol ... Might not be as abnormal as some may think.
I am a fraternal twin and my twin brother and I bathed together until we were about 10 and swam naked in our backyard pool until we were about the age of these boys. It just seemed pretty normal as we’d always done this together since we were very young. I never gave it a second thought.
Growing up I noticed a definite different relationship dynamic between twins/triplets and just normal sibs.
We shared a bond that was solidified by being constantly companions. We went to the same school, same grade, same friends, same activities. We walked to school together, studied together, did our homework together. We shared our deepest darkest secrets. We talked alike, thought alike, finished each other’s sentences or gave the same answer at the same time. We could communicate across the dinner table with just a look or facial expression. We even made up our own language. We were even room mates for our freshman and sophomore years in college. It’s like your twin is an actual physical part of you. People even treat you like a “set” rather than individuals. Where’s your “twin”? , these are the “twins”, where are the “twins”?
We’ve met other twins and triplets, identical and fraternal... and from what I’ve gathered, our behavior isn’t all that different than theirs, and there are a lot of people who don’t get the “bond” we share.
I don’t think it gets discussed much because people who don’t get it ...think it’s weird to be so close to a “womb” mate and their minds begin to wander into the dark side. like the dude who made the “soap on a rope” comment. My brother still helps me wash my hair ( in the sink). It’s time we use to talk, and catch up, laugh or talk about issues.
Last March we went to the Bahamas for our Birthdays. We met another set of brother and sister fraternal twins who were pretty close to our age. We got along great from the get go and spent a lot of time talking about how weird other people think we are because we get along so well. Wait, what? You’re going on vacation with your brother? There must something weird going on with those peeps! 😂
I'm a parent of B/G twins and this is so fun to hear. Neither my wife or I are a twin, so we have no idea what's going on in their heads. They are thick as theives all the time, and the dynamic in our house (and everywhere) is the pair of them v. the world. Mom and Dad are clearly the second and third most important people in their lives, after their twin.

I hope that their bond continues into adulthood. I think it's been a major benefit to them socially, emotionally, physically, and even educationally.

Any tips or things you wish your parents had known or done?

Yes, we generally bathe them together, but that's because we're lazy and they're young enough nobody would give it a second thought.

Old 08-09-2019, 12:15 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,651,220 times
It's weird beyond a certain point.

Are they going to continue showering together into adulthood?

Humans are sexual animals, so it would not be "unnatural" to have sexual responses. Do you want to encourage that?

I think privacy in teen-hood is a good thing for individual development and family relationships (in terms of boundaries).

Old 08-09-2019, 01:56 PM

4,488 posts, read 1,642,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
It's weird beyond a certain point.

Are they going to continue showering together into adulthood?

Humans are sexual animals, so it would not be "unnatural" to have sexual responses. Do you want to encourage that?

I think privacy in teen-hood is a good thing for individual development and family relationships (in terms of boundaries).
I’m not encouraging anything, my sister said this was normal for teen triplets to do this. I have no say in what happens as adults. I just provide them with what they need until their Mom gets back.

Old 08-10-2019, 10:06 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,940,699 times
I think it's weird for siblings to shower together and for an adult to wash his sister's hair. My $.02.

Old 08-11-2019, 07:04 AM

2,966 posts, read 3,916,019 times
This is a strange post. Aunt, how the HECK do you know that they're shampooing each other's hair? Very bizarre. And no, it's not normal for preteens/teens like that to be showering together, especially boys. Of course every family has their own standards but in the general populace- this is weird.

Old 08-11-2019, 04:13 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,940,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Another U.S. thread about their paranoid obsession with the flesh, nakedness and sex.
In what country is this behavior normal?

Old 08-11-2019, 04:18 PM

8,491 posts, read 4,738,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
This, and applying those standards to a bond very, very few of us can relate to or understand.

Old 08-12-2019, 04:17 AM

1,141 posts, read 2,203,381 times
Not sure what is the big deal about nudity, and it has become really a paranoid obsession in this forum. Actually, showering or bathing together is a cultural norm in East Asia and Europe. Until a generation ago, it was also very common in the US. Not sure about now, but the last time I was in a university in the US 20 years ago, there were still communal showers. And there were so many people who didn't bother using a towel to cover up and just walked around naked in the locker rooms. Many were comfortable with their nudity for various reasons. Older guys were used to it as it was the norm when they were growing up. Guys with military or athletic background are also very used to it. And it's not only in the locker rooms. In college, although they didn't really shower at the same time, many were comfortable enough to have other roommates access to the bathroom while they were showering while the other brushed their teeth or used the toilet.

There are obviously different comfort levels based on one's background, but in general, most guys who are fine with those arrangements have brothers who are close in age to them, and they generally don't mind being naked with their brothers when they were younger. The comfort level with classmates and roommates vary more, but I would say having seen one's brother naked or being naked around one's brother is seen as being to really no big deal at all. As one of my friends in high school puts it, we look both the same anyway. That is even truer for identical twins or triplets!

So aside from the shampooing each other's hair, which I still am not sure why they would tell their aunt about, there's really nothing to be worried about. My children are about this age, and their parents should be around my age. I don't understand why this will be a concern given what I experienced during my university days.

Old 08-12-2019, 08:05 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post

This, and applying those standards to a bond very, very few of us can relate to or understand.
You know, multiples aren't guaranteed to have a supernatural mysterious bond that makes them exempt from social mores.

Most are no more alike than any other siblings. They just happen to have been born at the same time.

This family has apparently extended the usual childhood bathtime habits into adolescence. That's their choice, and the kids will let them know when they are no longer comfortable with it.

It doesn't have to be a jumping-off point for the usual accusations about how "Puritanical" those who don't do that are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting