Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2019, 11:25 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
Not sure what is the big deal about nudity, and it has become really a paranoid obsession in this forum. Actually, showering or bathing together is a cultural norm in East Asia and Europe. Until a generation ago, it was also very common in the US. Not sure about now, but the last time I was in a university in the US 20 years ago, there were still communal showers. And there were so many people who didn't bother using a towel to cover up and just walked around naked in the locker rooms. Many were comfortable with their nudity for various reasons. Older guys were used to it as it was the norm when they were growing up. Guys with military or athletic background are also very used to it. And it's not only in the locker rooms. In college, although they didn't really shower at the same time, many were comfortable enough to have other roommates access to the bathroom while they were showering while the other brushed their teeth or used the toilet.

There are obviously different comfort levels based on one's background, but in general, most guys who are fine with those arrangements have brothers who are close in age to them, and they generally don't mind being naked with their brothers when they were younger. The comfort level with classmates and roommates vary more, but I would say having seen one's brother naked or being naked around one's brother is seen as being to really no big deal at all. As one of my friends in high school puts it, we look both the same anyway. That is even truer for identical twins or triplets!

So aside from the shampooing each other's hair, which I still am not sure why they would tell their aunt about, there's really nothing to be worried about. My children are about this age, and their parents should be around my age. I don't understand why this will be a concern given what I experienced during my university days.
Big difference between a locker room communal shower and and a private bathroom. I played sports and used communal showers but people kept their distance. It's not the act of seeing someone that makes this situation wierd (we had twins on our teams and yes, they showered as well) it's the extremely close proximity that's wierd. The twins on our teams also kept their distance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2019, 04:52 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,746,538 times
I find it very weird. That would like me taking a shower with my brother and sister at age 14. Too odd for me. No can do!

Old 08-12-2019, 05:43 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,645,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
This, and applying those standards to a bond very, very few of us can relate to or understand.
Has nothing to do with bond, and everything to do with human sexual responses.

Old 08-12-2019, 06:09 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,009,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
What is that even supposed to mean?

Old 08-12-2019, 10:45 PM

4,488 posts, read 1,641,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Sorry, but to suggest that my nephews are having sex in the shower is not true at all, they are just really close and try to find creative ways to save time.

Old 08-12-2019, 10:52 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,243,709 times
I have boy multiples. And JUST NO.

Old 08-13-2019, 05:17 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,746,538 times
My personal opinion. You should know not know what your brother/sister looks like naked in the shower when they are hitting puberty. To me that is disturbing.

Last edited by WannaliveinGreenville; 08-13-2019 at 05:17 AM.. Reason: forgot a word..

Old 08-13-2019, 08:13 AM

1,141 posts, read 2,201,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Big difference between a locker room communal shower and and a private bathroom. I played sports and used communal showers but people kept their distance. It's not the act of seeing someone that makes this situation wierd (we had twins on our teams and yes, they showered as well) it's the extremely close proximity that's wierd. The twins on our teams also kept their distance.

Young people are very adaptable, and I don't see any reason why twins would share shower heads if there are enough available. I actually am not comfortable using communal showers myself and tend to avoid them. But I don't regard people who are comfortable in using them or in closer proximity than I am used to as weird.

I have many friends who are from countries with mandatory military service for all men. They said there were many instances when they have to shower under very limited time with so few shower heads available. It's part of their military training, and I can understand why they would need those time-saving skills in the battlefield. These triplets are no different from that type of military training. They are pretty much born in a world from the very start, to adapt to most places that are designed for one, but there are three of them instead. Sharing pretty much everything... I can see how exhausting and financially challenging raising triplets can be. Can most parents actually afford to give each kid their own bedrooms if you suddenly have triplets instead of only expecting one baby? How about their own bathrooms? Also will you spend time to individually bathe each baby? Or isn't it more time-saving if one just bathe them together? It's actually easier for the mother if they operate with military efficiency without much fuss about space and other considerations. I personally think they can learn adapt themselves later to whichever society they grow up in and figure out about privacy themselves. I don't regard my friends who had served in the military as having of a less need for privacy at all than those who have no military background at all.

Old 08-13-2019, 11:43 AM

2,966 posts, read 3,914,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapa1 View Post
Sorry, but to suggest that my nephews are having sex in the shower is not true at all, they are just really close and try to find creative ways to save time.
I'm still waiting to find out how you know they shampoo each other's hair.

Old 08-13-2019, 12:25 PM

4,488 posts, read 1,641,430 times
Did you not read my earlier post, one of my nephews told me they do that at times. Look, it may seem weird to most, but they seem happy and their mom is ok with it, so I will be too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting