U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2019, 10:50 AM

7,817 posts, read 9,171,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I had an allergic reaction to tampons when I was 13 and we were at the beach. I had a 105 degree fever and kept fainting. Every time I woke up, my mom was yelling at me for being a drama queen and trying to wreck the vacation.
You fainted numerous times while your mom sunbathed? Talk about abuse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
Is this common behavior for her? In the case of a death, it could be she was just stressed out by the whole experience, having to travel for a funeral and also having to bring children along is never pleasant.

I was never punished for a ridiculous reason, but some of the punishments I was given were ridiculous.
Stress? What a cop out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by May0Daddy54 View Post
Yeah, i got punished for passing out during a heat wave on the line to refill my water bottle at an amusement park because the hospital bill was expensive.

I got video games taken away for 2 years. But i made do with drawing and reading so then they took away drawing as best they could, then because they knew that was hard I got grounded from reading then they realized that was dumb as hell so i got reading back. They should've grounded me from reading though because some of those teen romance books are prrrrretry erotic.

I also got scolded once because my mom missed her highway exit and it was my fault because I was holding the phone with the gps she failed to follow.

The list goes on really, I was never mad because I never took it seriously. I always took what I wanted back when i was left alone and watching people over react is funny sometimes.
I never got yelled at for an expensive hospital bill but I practically had to be dying for any doctor visit. I got yelled at once for navigation. This was before GPS. We were in Minneapolis and Mom just started driving out of the Metrodome parking lot. About two blocks into it she said tell me how to get out of here. I was trying to locate the Metrodome on the map to get my bearings and she started screaming because I wasn't finding it fast enough. All the while aimlessly driving in Minneapolis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Here's a short list:

1. My dad beat the crap out of me once because my brother reached across me to get some food at the table and knocked over my glass of milk. Guess I was in the wrong because it was my milk.....

2. I was often punished (spanked) by my parents for failing to prevent my younger siblings from doing something they weren't allowed to do. They explained to me that as the oldest child, I was responsible for their behavior.

3. I used to get spanked as a very young child (age 4-5) for being carsick and vomiting in the car during road trips. That was because my dad had a weak stomach and they said I ruined their trip. I hated those trips, spent most of them extremely nauseated, trying not to throw up, because I knew I'd be spanked, then berated for the rest of the trip.

4. My mother once spanked me, then yelled at me nonstop for making her feel bad, for quite a time after that. My offense? I had found some beautiful lily of the valley flowers outside, picked them and brought them in as a little gift to her. I didn't know that she had an aversion to these flowers as they reminded her of her father's funeral (he had died when she was six, and there had been lilies of the valley at his services). I was crushed, had no idea what I had done wrong, and after she got herself together (took a few hours), she informed me that he smell of lilies of the flowers reminded her of her father's death, and though I had no idea, I was still wrong because I had made her feel so bad. Well, that was the last time I ever gave flowers to my mother.
I got yelled at for vomiting in first grade. Had a very high fever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2019, 11:25 AM

6,439 posts, read 5,515,476 times
My mother used to slap me for giggling. I had a habit of thinking of something funny that I'd read, heard, or seen (usually earlier that day) and would burst out laughing to myself about it. She'd slap me hard on the mouth, saying it got on her nerves or made me look like a "retard". Her words. It just wasn't one slap either, she'd grab my wrists with one hand so I couldn't cover my face, and slap and slap. I could just feel her rage.

I was also often hit for screaming or yelling at my younger brothers to stop doing something, usually wrecking my things (once was when one of them was trying to rip a poster off my bedroom wall). Another time, I screamed at one of them for trying to smash a praying mantis's nest in the yard. We had learned in school that that was illegal. He was only four, and I ten, but I remember my grandmother holding my arms down so I couldn't protect my face, while my mother kept slapping me in the face numerous times.

Last edited by Mrs. Skeffington; 08-11-2019 at 11:44 AM..

Old 08-11-2019, 01:08 PM

22,999 posts, read 29,287,308 times
Sure, they would be mad about something else and take it out on me. Nothing I did to draw their ire.

My father was absolutely furious with me because his boss molested me. That seemed pretty unreasonable, even at the time.

Old 08-11-2019, 01:16 PM

1,220 posts, read 413,151 times
Oh christ almighty, the horror stories I could tell, but since some mod would likely get "offended" and censor me for it I will limit it to these three more recent ones:

First car wreck (not my fault; rear-ended by an F250) my mother attempted to take away the keys and "driving privileges" for a year until, in her words, I "learnt to drive more attentively". I guess she didn't get the memo that I was 25 and she had no power over my "privileges" and it had nothing to do with how attentive my driving is. (I have a clean record otherwise.) So upon realising this she played the "la-la-la I can't hear you la-la-la-la-la" game for a week like a three year old. The car was a write-off, so now I could finally justify dumping that old Subaru that I had constant problems with since day 1.

When I pierced my nipples at age 20 (already moved out) it threw her into a huge religious, well, I don't know what the term would be. Anyways, any attempts at rationalisation were met with the usual "created in god's image and destroying my temple and I'm going to hell now and the family circle is broken as a result of my spiritual transgression and blah blah blah blah blah John 3:16 blah blah blah Psalm 3.141592654 blah blah blah blah blah blah blah" rhetoric. Well, good, she'll be the first one I look up when I get there. And they wonder why I'm an atheist.

Oh yeah, atheism. I am now permanently banned from all family Thanksgiving gatherings because I don't lock-step follow their same superstitions. Yeah, umm, I'm really, uh, hurt? Yeah, that's it.

Old 08-11-2019, 01:24 PM

8,211 posts, read 5,012,274 times
I must have been nine or ten.

We were at a park. It was very windy. The adults wouldn't even get out of the cars, but a bunch of us kids were running around outside. I saw something (can't remember what) that I was excited about and I wanted to tell my mother.

I ran over to the car, she rolled down the window, I started to tell her when she grabbed my hair with both hands and yanked it, hard enough to pull some out. "STOP SHOUTING!" she shouted.

I had thick wavy hair then, so the bald spots didn't show. I wish I'd told a teacher or someone outside my family.

Old 08-11-2019, 04:01 PM

1,820 posts, read 1,984,521 times
My parents got on us kids for some mighty trivial things (you'll excuse the oxymoron) but they were both old-school, so no use in holding it against them at this late date.

Old 08-11-2019, 04:12 PM

4,037 posts, read 1,730,776 times
My mother spent my childhood and much of my adulthood punishing me because her mother had adorable twin girls. Mom resented her little sisters and to her, as a younger sister, I represented those girls. My older sister got treated the way mom would have liked to be treated.

For instance, my sister damaged a favorite garment of my mom's. Mom told everyone--for decades--that I did it, despite my polite corrections.

Best thing I ever did was write her out of my life. My sister still treats me like mom did, so I don't have much to do with her, either. I get along with my brothers, who probably had their own childhood traumas.

Old 08-11-2019, 05:40 PM

4,043 posts, read 1,598,976 times
sometimes, on various forums, people post about "daddy issues".
it is my opinion that "mommy issues" are more prevalent.
this topic kinda/sorta shows that.
maybe Mommy is around
and Daddy is not.

Old 08-11-2019, 07:06 PM

26,363 posts, read 33,362,178 times
Yup. I was probably 13...mom found gouges in the bar soap in our bathroom. She accused me of digging in the soap with my nails (I did have a habit of digging/picking at things with my fingernails) and she took a yardstick to my legs - she didn't believe me when I told her I had not done it. I still think my brother did it knowing I would get accused and punished.

Old 08-11-2019, 07:11 PM

56,002 posts, read 75,050,144 times
No I was beaten unconscious for ridiculous reasons
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or