U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2019, 08:45 PM

17,438 posts, read 17,734,106 times

Advertisements

What horrible, horrible stories. I am so sorry that all of you had crappy parents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2019, 09:05 PM

727 posts, read 221,156 times
These stories make me want to cry. I am so sorry so many kids are abused.

Old 08-11-2019, 09:21 PM

5,669 posts, read 2,436,219 times
I was yelled at for a couple of hours by my father because my church group was stuck at a state park in a raging thunderstorm causing us to be late. I was in ninth grade working as a camp counselor a bunch of fourth graders, we were herding kids out in the woods with lightning popping every where, there were no mobile phones back then, and I had absolutely no control over the situation. But somehow the weather was my fault.

Old 08-11-2019, 10:53 PM

13,229 posts, read 20,997,023 times
I had a happy childhood, and my parents certainly were never abusive. But, I did have one instance of being punished for a ridiculous reason. I was in 2nd grade (so 7)in the 60s, it was winter time, and my mother had to run an errand. I was home with my brother, who was 4 years older, and my sister, 4 years younger. My brother went out to play, and shortly after, so did I. My mother came home to find my 3 yr old sister home alone. Since I was the last one to leave her, I got in trouble, not my brother. My punishment was to skip the holiday party at school that night. I hid in the coat closet waiting for my father to come home from work, and when he hung up his coat, turned on the waterworks. I don't know what he said to my mother, but HE took me to the party that night.

Old 08-12-2019, 04:17 AM

500 posts, read 382,777 times
There was one dish that my mother cooked which caused me to feel nauseous as soon as I could smell it . . . Roast Beef w/ Onions & Potatoes & Gravy. . . . I LOVED the same dish MINUS the gravy, though! But whenever the gravy was cooked I became nauseous, so it was something about that gravy. . . . For years I carefully scraped all the gravy off that I could before taking a bite! I never said anything about it until I was a teenager, and then as a plate of it was set in front of me one nigtht that I was very hungry, & having felt nauseous for awhile already, I calmly said . . . "That makes me sick". My father took it the wrong way, & instead of asking why I said that, immediately chastised me & sent me to my room without supper. And I was STARVING. . . . Communication was nearly zero in our house . . . even among the children . . . which was the reason I took so long to try to say anything about it. I remember hearing several times when very young: "Don't be a bother." I grew up feeling that if I said anything someone didn't like I might get banned to my room, & I was so very lonely already I just couldn't chance that, so kept silent.

Old 08-12-2019, 08:08 AM

1,826 posts, read 1,992,449 times
Folks, this thread proves that it’s a very bad idea to pressure people into having kids. When someone says “I don’t think I’m parent material,” take them at their word, and shut up already!

Old 08-12-2019, 12:25 PM

3,659 posts, read 2,450,273 times
OMG, these posts have me in tears! Some of the horrible things many of you have endured. I won't complain about my parents ever again! It breaks my heart to see children abused and I wish there was something I could do about it. Some of these parents did not deserve the gift of having children to raise and love. I honestly believe that if someone deliberately kills a child, he/she should receive a swift death sentence. For those who hurt and abuse children, they should draw an automatic 20 year sentence with no privileges whatsoever. There is nothing more disgusting than hurting an innocent child.

Old 08-12-2019, 12:57 PM

13,919 posts, read 19,019,508 times
I can remember one time when a little girl , a classmate handed me an invitation to her slumber party I was so happy . Then the time came and my mother drove me to the little girls house and her mother came to the door wearing a bathing suit and my mother yelled at me to get back in her car this minute , when I got back in the car she said "you lied to me , you told me it was a slumber party , it looks like a pool party and I don't believe in bathing suits or showing skin like that , you know that and then she slapped me really hard . She then sped off . The little girl called my house and wanted to know what happened and I had to tell that little girl that she and her parents were Godless and I was not allowed to have friends who are Godless . That little girl never talked to me or looked my way again . I hope she forgave me .

Old 08-12-2019, 01:19 PM

6,142 posts, read 6,740,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I can remember one time when a little girl , a classmate handed me an invitation to her slumber party I was so happy . Then the time came and my mother drove me to the little girls house and her mother came to the door wearing a bathing suit and my mother yelled at me to get back in her car this minute , when I got back in the car she said "you lied to me , you told me it was a slumber party , it looks like a pool party and I don't believe in bathing suits or showing skin like that , you know that and then she slapped me really hard . She then sped off . The little girl called my house and wanted to know what happened and I had to tell that little girl that she and her parents were Godless and I was not allowed to have friends who are Godless . That little girl never talked to me or looked my way again . I hope she forgave me .
The immense amount of hatred I have for your mother is off the charts.

What Id like to call her would get me permabanned.

Old 08-12-2019, 01:41 PM

6,142 posts, read 6,740,129 times
I don’t remember any punishments for no reason but I do remember her throwing fits over very illogical things.

I wasn’t allowed to use any type of toy guns until my brother came along and was interested in that kind of thing. Not even water guns. I wanted a super soaker so bad growing up and never got one.

I wanted to go to a lock in at the local church when we lived in Texas with my friends, I was 12/13 years old. She let me go for a few hours but wouldn’t let me stay over night. Once I got home she accused them of being cultist and told me weird **** would have happened if I stayed. It was some non-denominational mega church that was brand new and run by basic average every day people.

Also about the same her her dad and her step mother took me shopping and she basically started shrieking in the middle of a Kohl’s about the low rise jeans they were buying me. They had to calm her down and remind her I was a teenager and that’s what we wore.

Again around 12/13 I asked my mom to buy me tampons because I hated pads and she again freaked out, started screaming and then asked me if I was ready to have sex because only women were sexually active used them.

She wouldn’t let me watch “You Got Served” with Matthew Perry because she was afraid of getting served by my brothers dad and didn’t want the “bad luck”. I had a massive crush on Matthew Perry and was irate I couldn’t see the movie.

When I was 15 her ex was cheating on her and she kept deleting all my messenger programs like AIM because she thought he was using them. That caused a massive fight because I messaged my friends everyday and it was really making it difficult. I had to redownload them every time I used OUR computer. It wasn’t even his. It was the computer my brother and I used for school.

When she talk about my grandmother or anyone else negatively she’d make me shut my phone off because she’d be so paranoid someone would butt dial that person or something. Which was really inconvenient because I never wanted to stop what I was doing to listen to her complain about people I cared about and didn’t share her same opinion on.

She once told me when I was 17 that if she could have gone back in time to when I was 12 she wouldn’t have let me wear low rise jeans, no make up, she never would have given me a phone and never would allowed social media. She was like I wish I could go back in time and keep you from ever starting any of it. I looked at her and was like “so you want to go back in time and make me a freak? I’m glad time travel isn’t possible.” Cue the screaming on her part and she even tried to take my phone over what I said but I just locked myself in my room so she couldn’t till she calmed down.

Months before turning 19 I went and attended Prom with my friends from the class below mine and she told me I had to attend “after prom” at the high school because there was adult supervision. (I didn’t go. I went to a house party and come home soaking wet at like 1am.) She didn’t even say a word, she just glared at me from her bedroom door as I walked to my room.

I still have to hear it and I’ll be 30 this month.

I just went skydiving and I’m about to take a solo trip and she keeps blowing up my phone complaining. I wish she’d just tell me to have fun and bring her back a pukka shell necklace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or