U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2019, 06:46 PM

8 posts, read 3,140 times

Advertisements

I'll never forget when I was 13, my mother and I took a trip to a funeral of one of her friends husband, we stayed in a motel and were about to leave the next day when I had a seizure and had to be taken to the hospital. Fortunately I was fine but because of it she had to stay another night in the motel and she chastised me and was very angry and yelled at me...for having a seizure and ruining her plans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2019, 07:19 PM

4,251 posts, read 963,074 times
As if you chose to have a seizure, what if you had died? That really would have ruined her plans!

Old 08-10-2019, 07:26 PM

3,885 posts, read 1,511,905 times
chastised is different than punished.
punishment lasts longer.

Old 08-10-2019, 08:42 PM

1,238 posts, read 823,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
punishment lasts longer.
Still hurts when it is unjust

Old 08-10-2019, 10:09 PM

7,796 posts, read 9,124,443 times
My parents had a tendency to overreact on numerous things. While I thankfully never had a seizure, my parents were interesting in their response to any health concern. They either dismissed it, got mad, or overreacted.

Old Yesterday, 01:20 AM

11,195 posts, read 20,666,648 times
I had an allergic reaction to tampons when I was 13 and we were at the beach. I had a 105 degree fever and kept fainting. Every time I woke up, my mom was yelling at me for being a drama queen and trying to wreck the vacation.

Old Yesterday, 05:03 AM

3,178 posts, read 1,603,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
punishment lasts longer.
I hope the mom explained the difference to her child.

Old Yesterday, 06:41 AM

2,738 posts, read 1,671,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triniss View Post
I'll never forget when I was 13, my mother and I took a trip to a funeral of one of her friends husband, we stayed in a motel and were about to leave the next day when I had a seizure and had to be taken to the hospital. Fortunately I was fine but because of it she had to stay another night in the motel and she chastised me and was very angry and yelled at me...for having a seizure and ruining her plans.

Is this common behavior for her? In the case of a death, it could be she was just stressed out by the whole experience, having to travel for a funeral and also having to bring children along is never pleasant.

I was never punished for a ridiculous reason, but some of the punishments I was given were ridiculous.

Old Yesterday, 09:56 AM

8 posts, read 6,077 times
Yeah, i got punished for passing out during a heat wave on the line to refill my water bottle at an amusement park because the hospital bill was expensive.

I got video games taken away for 2 years. But i made do with drawing and reading so then they took away drawing as best they could, then because they knew that was hard I got grounded from reading then they realized that was dumb as hell so i got reading back. They should've grounded me from reading though because some of those teen romance books are prrrrretry erotic.

I also got scolded once because my mom missed her highway exit and it was my fault because I was holding the phone with the gps she failed to follow.

The list goes on really, I was never mad because I never took it seriously. I always took what I wanted back when i was left alone and watching people over react is funny sometimes.

Old Yesterday, 10:24 AM

9,814 posts, read 7,118,191 times
Here's a short list:

1. My dad beat the crap out of me once because my brother reached across me to get some food at the table and knocked over my glass of milk. Guess I was in the wrong because it was my milk.....

2. I was often punished (spanked) by my parents for failing to prevent my younger siblings from doing something they weren't allowed to do. They explained to me that as the oldest child, I was responsible for their behavior.

3. I used to get spanked as a very young child (age 4-5) for being carsick and vomiting in the car during road trips. That was because my dad had a weak stomach and they said I ruined their trip. I hated those trips, spent most of them extremely nauseated, trying not to throw up, because I knew I'd be spanked, then berated for the rest of the trip.

4. My mother once spanked me, then yelled at me nonstop for making her feel bad, for quite a time after that. My offense? I had found some beautiful lily of the valley flowers outside, picked them and brought them in as a little gift to her. I didn't know that she had an aversion to these flowers as they reminded her of her father's funeral (he had died when she was six, and there had been lilies of the valley at his services). I was crushed, had no idea what I had done wrong, and after she got herself together (took a few hours), she informed me that he smell of lilies of the flowers reminded her of her father's death, and though I had no idea, I was still wrong because I had made her feel so bad. Well, that was the last time I ever gave flowers to my mother.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or