U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2019, 08:34 PM

1,562 posts, read 1,004,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
This is just another thread so that people who are "old school" or people without children can dump on "new liberal parents" and how horrible the next generation is going to be raised by these people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Probably.

I always suspect that people who start these things don't actually HAVE children.
I always suspect it is that or people whose childen cut them out of their lives due to their toxic personalities.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2019, 07:12 AM

7,295 posts, read 2,632,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I took the OP to mean cases where the children are what is called "Parentified". That is, they have an incapable parent and so they do the household chores like cooking and laundry at the age of 8, get themselves up in the morning alone and get on the elementary school bus with a lunch they packed, take care of younger siblings, and cover for mom who is either not at home or unwilling/unable to get out of bed.

And yes, I do know families like that. Very sad.

I knew a family like that as well.

Old 08-15-2019, 01:37 AM

313 posts, read 131,144 times
https://parent4success.com/2012/01/2...our-household/

Old 08-15-2019, 07:44 AM

5,320 posts, read 2,441,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I took the OP to mean cases where the children are what is called "Parentified". That is, they have an incapable parent and so they do the household chores like cooking and laundry at the age of 8, get themselves up in the morning alone and get on the elementary school bus with a lunch they packed, take care of younger siblings, and cover for mom who is either not at home or unwilling/unable to get out of bed.

And yes, I do know families like that. Very sad.
Yes, that would be a 'child-ran household'. I'm wondering if the OP meant a child-centered household; where the children become the 'center of the universe' & everything revolves around them.

This is thought to evolve from a social trend of dropping fertility rates/delayed parenting were parents have the time & money to be 'helicopter' parents & sometimes results psychologically from having problems with infertility; the 'highly-prized child' phenomena.

Old 08-21-2019, 07:07 PM

338 posts, read 70,380 times
I donít know of any child run households either. I know some parents are more strict than others but most put their foot down somewhere. I think Iíve seen parents give in when a kid is really persistent and they are just sick of listening to them. Iíve done this with my own. Itís usua over junk food or wanting to play with something they shouldnít be.

Old 09-04-2019, 07:12 PM

7,233 posts, read 4,036,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenstyle View Post
^ or weirder yet, a child *ran* household, as in the thread title?
:d

Old Today, 04:16 PM

3,075 posts, read 3,090,764 times
I teach in a lower-income urban area. There are plenty of "families" where the children are self-raised.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or