U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2019, 02:49 PM

205 posts, read 44,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccc123 View Post
That's disturbing.

He does have some special needs...major OCD and phobia's (one is getting "it" caught in the zipper) that limit him. Regardless of how many times I tell him to stop pulling pants down, he still does it. Annoying, but bigger problems in the world when you think about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2019, 04:59 PM

22,790 posts, read 11,757,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
Please. Iíve walked into airport bathrooms nay to see grown men with their pants down to their knees at the urinal. Guess they went to the wrong kindergarten.
Iíve never seen this in my life. Must be foreigners.

Old 08-18-2019, 06:50 AM

803 posts, read 222,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agarrison87 View Post
Help, my 5 year old boy recently started Kindergarten. When he pees he pulls his pants and underwear all the way down to the ground. I never thought anything of it, I'm just happy he pees in the toilet. However, his principal told me I needed to show him not to pull his pants all the way down because the other kids are laughing at him. I'm not sure how to teach him to do this since most of his shorts (it's summer in Alabama) are elastic wasted. I tried to get him to pee without pulling his pants all the way down and he got a little bit of pee on it. I know if he does this the kids will really laugh at him. Should I just tell my kid to tell the other kids to buzz off or try to get him to pee with his pants up? I didn't think I would have to worry about mean kids in kindergarten!
Maybe your child is of a German origin? They teach the boys to pee while sitting on the toilet - more hygienic. Some other European nations require it as well.
My friend insisted that her American husband change his ingrained habit or he should clean the toilet
He changed his habit!��
Just ask your boy to not use the urinal and use the cabin instead. Nobody can judge what he is doing there. Privacy is good!
Don’t make a big deal out of it.
https://i2.wp.com/berlinerisch.com/w...size=300%2C225
Attached Thumbnails
5 y.o. pees with pants pulled all the way down-4795cbb6-0ee2-4456-a1da-5358f0349a8d.png  

Last edited by Nik4me; 08-18-2019 at 07:15 AM..

Old 08-18-2019, 08:44 AM

5 posts, read 1,729 times
OP here with an update:
My husband showed him how not to pull his pants all the way down and he caught on quickly. We didnít have to raise our voices or threaten him with a spanking like someone suggested. It was an error on our parts. He is our first and we are still learning as we go. I appreciate everyone who commented with actual helpful responses. Everyone else who decided to be absolute *******s, continue to enjoy living your miserable lives!

Old 08-18-2019, 08:54 AM

Also to answer some of your questions, yes the principal is male and his teacher is a female. Iím not sure how this came about as the principal made the comment to my mom who picked him up that day. The kindergarten at his school does not have their own bathrooms. He went to pre-k and this was never an issue. I never thought about it being an issue because like I said, heís my first and Iím still learning. I honestly didnít think about them using urinals because he had been using the stalls or private bathroom in pre-k. Like I said before, heís caught on to not pulling his pants down and will hopefully stick to it!

Old 08-18-2019, 09:22 AM

463 posts, read 60,459 times
Quote:
Help, my 5 year old boy recently started Kindergarten. When he pees he pulls his pants and underwear all the way down to the ground. I never thought anything of it, I'm just happy he pees in the toilet. However, his principal told me I needed to show him not to pull his pants all the way down because the other kids are laughing at him. I'm not sure how to teach him to do this since most of his shorts (it's summer in Alabama) are elastic wasted. I tried to get him to pee without pulling his pants all the way down and he got a little bit of pee on it. I know if he does this the kids will really laugh at him. Should I just tell my kid to tell the other kids to buzz off or try to get him to pee with his pants up? I didn't think I would have to worry about mean kids in kindergarten!
Not a thing wrong with that. I have 4 boys and at one point in time or another, all 4 visited the toilet that way.

Old 08-18-2019, 09:27 AM

43,981 posts, read 42,565,198 times
Quote:

... the principal made the comment to my mom who picked him up that day.
I'm glad he's learned.

If I were you, I would meet with the principal AND the teacher and tell them that you would like to be contacted directly about sensitive issues like this. In my mind, anything related to personal issues like potty training should not be talked about just anywhere.

I'm not saying that the pants-down thing itself is a huge deal. But this kind of discussion should not have been made offhand to a third-party at pick-up. (Even Grandma.)

It's like the telephone game, and it's too easy for information to get mixed up. There's also a chance that your son will overhear something that he may internalize and get confused about. Sometimes kids that age need stuff to be filtered through a parent before they hear it.

Anyway, my concern was for the way the school handled this, that the chain of command got out of whack, since it seems more like a teacher issue and not something the principal would be involved in, and that your son was possibly shamed by school officials. Glad that's not the case. Still, it did not seem to be handled professionally in my opinion as a mom of three sons.

Here's hoping this is the worst school issue you have to face!

Old 08-18-2019, 10:17 AM

17,344 posts, read 17,654,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
My four year nephew's pants all have elastic waists. He drops them to his knees or the floor. Heck, all this time I was just glad he didn't pee on my floor.

That is not unusual behavior for a four year old in a private bathroom. It just gets a little less "socially acceptable" when boys are in school using public urinals

Quote:
Also to answer some of your questions, yes the principal is male and his teacher is a female. Iím not sure how this came about as the principal made the comment to my mom who picked him up that day. The kindergarten at his school does not have their own bathrooms. He went to pre-k and this was never an issue. I never thought about it being an issue because like I said, heís my first and Iím still learning. I honestly didnít think about them using urinals because he had been using the stalls or private bathroom in pre-k. Like I said before, heís caught on to not pulling his pants down and will hopefully stick to it!
I agree that it was somewhat unusual for the principal to mention it (instead of the teacher) and to Grandma and not you. But, IMHO, it just shows that it wasn't considered a "big deal" but more of a casual comment/observation. Just like if the principal was handling pickup and casually mentioned to Grandma "Johnny had a great day" or "I noticed that the kindergarteners played XYZ in gym today and Johnny really liked it."

Old 08-18-2019, 11:26 AM

That is what I am thinking. The principal is very involved with the school and helps out a lot from what I’ve seen. I think it was something the principal noticed and wanted to fix to keep my son from being made fun of. My mom could have easily misunderstood what he said. The kids could have been laughing at what my son was doing but not actually making fun of him, I just don’t know. My son never said anything about anyone laughing at him. When I ask him about school he talks about “playing with his friends” on the playground. It just made me feel bad that something I never thought to correct at a young age caused my child to be laughed at.

Old 08-18-2019, 03:17 PM

15,275 posts, read 8,705,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Is this serious?

It's highly likely his parents taught him to do that, to avoid wetting his clothes.

You do realize this child is doing this in the bathroom, don't you? And peeing in the urinal?

You're acting like this kid is purposely peeing on the bathroom walls!
Pretty doubtful his DAD taught him that. Kids need to learn stuff - including societal norms and etiquette. It's not all on other kids to be perpetually nice when kids do weird stuff...part of the onus is on the kid him/herself to at least minimally conform. Kids would never "mature" without a certain amount of peer pressure. And it's not conforming for the sake of conforming but to learn how society works and how society works more smoothly when some stuff is "standard".

Geez...otherwise we'd all still be in diapers as adults (before the age of 80) because "it's easier and cleaner" than risking wetting your clothes. Oh, we'd also all be drinking from sippy cups to avoid spills...etc., etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting