U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2019, 11:59 AM

40,362 posts, read 15,306,487 times

Advertisements

I got my class ring as a gift from my sister when I was a junior in high school (fall of 1971). She couldn't afford the ones Herff-Jones was selling, so she went to a local jewelry store which had a license to use our school logo. She chose an onyx ring from the store and they put our school logo and my graduation year on it. School colors were black and gold, so it was perfect.

The ring cost a LOT less than the ones sold by the vendor that came to our school. It's a beautiful ring, and I still wear it from time to time.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Automotive, Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 08-22-2019, 12:32 PM

1,945 posts, read 991,497 times
I got mine at the beginning of my junior year, in 1963. It was from Herff-Jones and if I remember correctly, it was under $50, maybe $40-ish. I paid for mine by opening a huge piggy bank that I got for my 1st birthday and had saved coins in since then. I had just over $50 in the bank.

Junior year, we wore the rings facing "outwards" and then changed them to facing toward the hand the last day of junior year, indicating that we were now seniors.

I still have mine but I'd never be able to get it on. I wore it on my little finger at my 50th high school reunion.

Back then, when you were "going steady", your boyfriend wore your class ring on a chain and you wore his on your finger, wrapped in angora yarn to match whatever you had on. I carried a toothbrush in my purse to comb and fluff up the yarn several times a day. It was a big deal, y'know.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2019, 12:47 PM

9,583 posts, read 7,265,436 times
I get that he'll probably not wear it after high school, but I still have mine even though I don't wear it, it sits on my 'shelf of life' with various other 'collectible' items that i've acquired.. but i'm still glad I got it. I didn't get a college ring, but.. Then again, I only went for an associates degree, not a bachelors degree.

We did the boyfriend/girlfriend traded rings as well.. Though I didn't because my parents threatened me that if I lost it by hook or by crook they'd kill me. lol.

he's in marching band, so.. I suspect he'll get a letter in that and I agreed to get the jacket as well if he wanted it. But they saw my class ring on my shelf many years ago and asked about it and I said that I'd buy them for them so long as they did well in school. They have, so, can't dangle the carrot and then yank it away, so.. If they want it, which I suspect they will.. They'll get it.

Old 08-22-2019, 12:56 PM

37,373 posts, read 46,090,354 times
None of my kids bought them, and Iíve never seen anyone ever wear their high school ring. In my opinion, itís just a racket.

Old 08-22-2019, 02:53 PM

37,373 posts, read 46,090,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamary1 View Post
I got mine at the beginning of my junior year, in 1963. It was from Herff-Jones and if I remember correctly, it was under $50, maybe $40-ish. I paid for mine by opening a huge piggy bank that I got for my 1st birthday and had saved coins in since then. I had just over $50 in the bank.

Junior year, we wore the rings facing "outwards" and then changed them to facing toward the hand the last day of junior year, indicating that we were now seniors.

I still have mine but I'd never be able to get it on. I wore it on my little finger at my 50th high school reunion.

Back then, when you were "going steady", your boyfriend wore your class ring on a chain and you wore his on your finger, wrapped in angora yarn to match whatever you had on. I carried a toothbrush in my purse to comb and fluff up the yarn several times a day. It was a big deal, y'know.....
I had forgotten the going steady and yarn on the ring thing. It conjures up cardigan sweaters, buttoned up the back. I am your age, and back then, kids were getting married out of high school. Nowadays, we donít want our kids ďgoing steadyĒ in high school, so that might be why the rings have gone out of favor since then.

Old 08-22-2019, 04:37 PM

17,358 posts, read 17,669,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
None of my kids bought them, and I’ve never seen anyone ever wear their high school ring. In my opinion, it’s just a racket.
I think that decades ago more HS graduates did not go on to higher education so having a HS ring was more of a sign of honor. Times were different then. Heck, my older sister was valedictorian of her graduating class of over 600 students in 1961. School administration would not allow her to give the commencement address because "It is not proper for girls to give speeches", so the boys who were #2 and #3 in the class each gave a speech.

The HS guidance counselor said that she should become a secretary or get married because "she wouldn't ever graduate from college" even though she was a National Merit Scholarship Finalist and valedictorian. When she was selected to Phi Beta Kappa she sent him the notice. BTW, she had straight As in both undergraduate and graduate school. She is 75 years old and still a little miffed at the guidance counselor.

Yes, times were different then.

I have personally seen people in their 20s and 30s, who did not go to college, wear their HS rings.

But, I do not believe that either of my children purchased HS rings, nor did very many, if any, of their friends (all who went on to college).

Old 08-22-2019, 04:54 PM

3,837 posts, read 983,958 times
The same company has been providing low value for class jewelry for decades.

For my graduating class of 2006, there were options mostly in the $200-300 range, with options to include diamonds and other customization that brought it up to $500-600. My parents offered, but I did not opt for a ring.

While not expensive in the jewelry world, it's expensive for something just to keep in a box and look at once every 5-10 years. It's not an engagement ring. Or a *cough cough* wedding dress.

Old 08-22-2019, 08:03 PM

8,056 posts, read 9,849,790 times
I went to a small, private high school where EVERYONE got a ring. The school had a specific ring ceremony, and a few traditions around the rings (turning them a number based on your grad year - I was '93 - ugh).

The rings offered to us had little options (metal selection, only), and resembled every other year's ring exactly except for the graduating year.

So, I, too, knew in High School that this was a waste of money. My older sister, two years older, hadn't worn hers since starting college.

So, I just asked her for her ring; had my name engraved inside under hers ($30, maybe?) and just wore that for the remainder of college. If we hadn't moved away, I believe my younger sister would have used the same ring.

Old 08-22-2019, 08:45 PM

10,166 posts, read 8,335,916 times
I ignored Jostens. In 1986 we shopped around and I got an alloy ring (silver in color) from Zales for $75. Parents were relieved with my choice. Came with a lifetime warranty including resizing. I say shop around. Check jewelry stores and department stores with a jewelry department. You may find cheaper and better quality than the vendors that come to the school.

Old 08-22-2019, 09:55 PM

7,034 posts, read 3,978,318 times
I didn't buy one. I thought they were ugly, especially for girls. And I knew no one in college wore their high school ring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting