U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2019, 11:34 AM

9,112 posts, read 7,343,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Don't break your neck falling off your high horse! What about these families where one kid becomes an alcoholic and the others don't? What's your explanation for that?
I didnt purport to explain all aspects of this topic. Im simply stating that statistics dont explain the bigger picture.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2019, 04:19 PM

18,596 posts, read 23,949,973 times
I gave my son sips when he was a young teen of beer and whiskey....of course he didn't like it..
I took the mystery out of teen drinking so he would make better decisions when im not around

THE worst thing to happen to a parent is a call from a cop saying your kid died in a car accident.....sadly ive seen 3 of my friends...this happened to......they were messed up for life...

I never encouraged drinking of my kids,,,, but when my son was in his teens....a bunch of us parents had a meeting to discuss this...and we all agreed it was ok for them to have a beer or two as long as they didn't drive ...the keys were collected...

these were professional parents nurses....even a lawyer...

I had a buddy .his parents had ZERO tolerance with alcohol...and the kid did not drink...BUT when he went to college he went nuts drinking and partying and eventually had to drop out because he had no coping skills..
so be careful all you zero tolerance parents......you have all the right reasons to be this way .but you are not preparing your kid to make good decisions in the future

because we talked to our son...and had trust......we had no issues....his whole group of friends had no issues..

but two kids were buried that snuck some beer and then went playing chicken while driving......their parents were zero tolerance...they rebelled..

this is a tough issue....you want your teen to act like an adult...then treat them that way you want them rebellious....and sneak around keep treating them like they are 12

Old 09-03-2019, 04:34 PM

623 posts, read 215,623 times
If you give your kids too many rules, they won’t have anything to loose by breaking the rules. What’s the difference between being forbidden from hanging out with friends and being grounded as punishment? If you tell your kids, “You shall not ever leave the house or hang out with friends because they might offer you beer”, when they leave the house and hang out with friends, they’ll have nothing to loose by drinking.

Old 09-03-2019, 04:53 PM

10,947 posts, read 14,689,079 times
I think there is a huge difference between 'allowing' and 'encouraging'. I also think it probably makes a big difference as to what age children are when they are first allowed to have alcohol of any kind, and of course how alcohol is viewed and used at home by parents.
My kids were allowed a single drink at family holiday celebration dinners once they were sixteen. I guess I viewed it along the same lines as wanting them to have some experience behind the wheel of a car before turning them loose on the road, I wanted them to be somewhat familiar with the effects of alcohol before turning them loose on a college campus.

Old 09-03-2019, 05:37 PM

9,643 posts, read 8,620,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
Alcohol is a gateway drug. It is, and always has been, the most abused drug worldwide. The best predicter of future behavior is past behavior. Like smoking, the earlier you start drinking, the greater chance you will become an over user. Some people are more susceptible to alcoholism than others, the best thing for them is never to drink at all. Alcoholism is harder to quit than Heroin. Booze is legal, heavily advertised, and it's everywhere. The temptation to drink is infinitely more difficult than Heroin. Booze is on TV, in magazines, newspapers, convenience store windows, and almost every social event. It's almost impossible to avoid.

Don't let your kids drink, being a parent is much more important than being your kids friend!!!
You have no idea what you are talking about with heroin.

People can and do drink their entire lives. Heroin kills first timers.

Old 09-03-2019, 05:41 PM

775 posts, read 678,858 times
I’d allow it in my house. Rather they do it here than in the woods where everyone has to drive home. Ditto weed.

Old 09-03-2019, 05:41 PM

9,643 posts, read 8,620,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
Who here is advocating letting very young (your term) children drink?

Also, the plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'.

And who here is advocating plying middle schoolers with alcohol?

We were allowed one small glass of watered down wine with dinner on holidays and I was allowed to drink in high school.

Maybe in was being Catholic?

Old 09-03-2019, 06:21 PM

2,880 posts, read 1,778,926 times
The US has the wrong attitude towards drinking. By not allowing teens to enjoy it responsibly, they go overboard when they finally are of age, and binge drinking is more prevalent. And setting the legal age at 21 is pretty stupid... You can go to war at age 18 and fight for your country and kill people, but you can't have a drink when you get back to base? Idiotic.

Other countries have the right idea... a drink with dinner with the family, or special occasions, etc. It takes the "glamour" out of underage drinking, and they don't feel the need to go crazy with alcohol when they've been drinking responsibly for years.

My wife is Brazilian, she started drinking at age 14, beer and wine. It's a different culture there, letting your kids drink with the family at meals. Legal age is 18, but it's common for kids to be drinking at 16. France used to have their legal age set at 16, and teens growing up are accustomed to drinking at age 14 or so on up. They did change the legal age to 18, but nothing much has changed in reality. Spain is also 18, but enforcement is lax compared to the US, teens drink at 15 and 16, without much to worry about.

We need to be letting teens experience alcohol earlier, in a safe setting, before suddenly letting them drink whatever they want the second they turn 21 and their friends take them to a bar to do shots all night and they don't have any idea how to handle themselves.

Old 09-03-2019, 08:49 PM

1,425 posts, read 649,463 times
Even when I was a teen, I never understood the "better in the house than them drinking and driving." You’re their parent not their friend.

Old 09-03-2019, 09:18 PM

87,684 posts, read 103,851,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
The US has the wrong attitude towards drinking. By not allowing teens to enjoy it responsibly, they go overboard when they finally are of age, and binge drinking is more prevalent. And setting the legal age at 21 is pretty stupid... You can go to war at age 18 and fight for your country and kill people, but you can't have a drink when you get back to base? Idiotic.

Other countries have the right idea... a drink with dinner with the family, or special occasions, etc. It takes the "glamour" out of underage drinking, and they don't feel the need to go crazy with alcohol when they've been drinking responsibly for years.

My wife is Brazilian, she started drinking at age 14, beer and wine. It's a different culture there, letting your kids drink with the family at meals. Legal age is 18, but it's common for kids to be drinking at 16. France used to have their legal age set at 16, and teens growing up are accustomed to drinking at age 14 or so on up. They did change the legal age to 18, but nothing much has changed in reality. Spain is also 18, but enforcement is lax compared to the US, teens drink at 15 and 16, without much to worry about.

We need to be letting teens experience alcohol earlier, in a safe setting, before suddenly letting them drink whatever they want the second they turn 21 and their friends take them to a bar to do shots all night and they don't have any idea how to handle themselves.
Time to repost:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
I knew someone would say the above sooner or later. That is one of the biggest urban legends of all time. I have no idea where this came from, but it's not correct.

In point of fact, Europe has the highest drinking rates in the world, and the highest rates of illness and death from alcohol.
WHO/Europe | Data and statistics
First sentence in the above:
"The WHO European Region has the highest proportion in the world of total ill health and premature death due to alcohol."
More:
"At a societal level, the European Union is the heaviest-drinking region in the world, with over one fifth of the European population aged 15 years and above reporting heavy episodic drinking (five or more drinks on an occasion, or 60g alcohol) at least once a week. Heavy episodic drinking is widespread across all ages and all of Europe, and not only among young people or those from northern Europe."

Teen drinking is heavy in much of Europe, way heavier than in the US:
https://www.vox.com/2016/1/26/108332...r-drinking-age
"One of the most common arguments against America's legal drinking age is that Europe has a supposedly safer drinking culture despite its lower drinking ages. After I wrote an argument for keeping the US drinking age at 21, it's a question that readers raised in emails again and again: If a lower drinking age is so bad, why is Europe doing fine?

The answer, it seems, is that Europe is not doing fine. If you look at the data, there's no evidence to support the idea that Europe, in general, has a safer drinking culture than the US."

https://www.researchgate.net/publica..._United_States
"A greater percentage of young people from nearly all European countries report drinking
in the past 30 days;
A majority of the European countries have higher intoxication rates among young people
than do youth from the United States; and
For a majority of these European countries, a greater percentage of young people report
having been intoxicated before the age of 13."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting