U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2019, 10:40 PM

30,666 posts, read 47,874,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
I remember being 20 and being at parties where alcohol was available and my parents wouldn't even allow me have a sip of their spiked fruity drink or beer. Ironically, she allowed my brother do the opposite when he was about 20 hanging out with his friends.

I have one cousin and her parents allow her to drink socially all the time. She'll be turning 21 this year.

I think as long as it's done responsibly in a supervised setting and not letting them drive after the fact is okay. Letting them sample different drinks and not having an uptight attitude towards alcohol may lessen the curiosity and be be more responsible with drinking.

I've read articles online that households who forbid alcohol like it was some forbidden fruit, their underage children were more likely to have problems with alcoholism.

One thing I do agree on, is no alcohol should be given to their child's underage friends.
I though you were going to refer to 14 or 15 yr olds
20 to me might be under legal age but parents who drink at home are probably not going to stop a son or daughter who is 20 from drinking wine or a beer at family party
But if there are othersóno familyóof same age then no one under legal limit would be served if it were my house...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2019, 10:42 PM

30,666 posts, read 47,874,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
You have no idea what you are talking about with heroin.

People can and do drink their entire lives. Heroin kills first timers.
If heroin kills first timers, why are there any heroin addicts alive then?

Old 09-04-2019, 01:41 AM

9,301 posts, read 11,042,054 times
Legal age was raised to 19 from 18 when I was a teen. Raised again to 21 right when I was turning 21. This was in the 1980s. Texas is one of the few states that allows underage kids to imbibe when in the presence of their parents, though they can't purchase the alcohol. It's a bit complicated if you ask me. My kid, never interested. I never would have supplied her minor friends with alcohol. Shall we count the reasons?

Old 09-04-2019, 04:18 AM

9,016 posts, read 7,283,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccernerd View Post
Even when I was a teen, I never understood the "better in the house than them drinking and driving." Youíre their parent not their friend.
Am I their friend because I allow them to eat dessert with us after dinner instead of making them immediately start reading Shakespeare and cleaning until bedtime? What's different about a little sip of the drinks they see me enjoying fairly often?

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 09-04-2019, 06:13 AM

1,353 posts, read 609,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Am I their friend because I allow them to eat dessert with us after dinner instead of making them immediately start reading Shakespeare and cleaning until bedtime? What's different about a little sip of the drinks they see me enjoying fairly often?
Oh please. We all know that this thread isnít about parents letting their kids take a scotch from the liquor cabinet.

Iím referring to parents who let their children drink to excess at home because they think that itís better that way.

Old 09-04-2019, 06:42 AM

9,016 posts, read 7,283,856 times
I haven't seen a single post that implied heavy drinking.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 09-05-2019, 01:46 PM

9,813 posts, read 13,678,856 times
My parents were super strict. They would let us have a sip here & there if they were drinking something, but in the house, it was locked up.

I didn't drink til 21 anyway, largely b/c I look very young and couldn't get into any bars in college … even with my fake. And yeah there were house parties, but the cops always came & busted them and I looked really young, so yeah.

Even today, ripe old age of 37, I get ID'd. Just got ID'd for a rated R movie last month, they asked where my mother was.

Old 09-07-2019, 11:40 AM

13,339 posts, read 9,036,476 times
I started drinking alcohol at 10 yrs old. My uncle gave me cup of Johnny Walker and it tasted horrible. I refused to drink until I was 15 and I was able to drink beers and wines often at family gathering. My family never had issues with underage drinking during family dinners at home.

We don't have any alcoholics in the family. My dad regularly drinks alcohol but never more than 1-2 beers a night.

Old 09-07-2019, 12:08 PM

6,450 posts, read 5,532,621 times
Wow, I remember when I worked my first job at a bakery in a shopping center (I started at 15, this happened when I was 16), and I got friendly with the daughter of the furriers (this was over 40 years ago) in the shop next door. The furriers sold fur coats and stored them. This was long before PETA started throwing paint all over everything that used to be alive. The daughter was graduating and her parents hosted a party for her (basically a "booze party"). She used to come over to the bakery and kevetch to me about all the food her mother wanted to serve in addition to the booze (streudle, eclairs, cream puffs, sauerkraut, knockwurst). They were German. They ordered a lot of the stuff for the party from the shop where I worked. I was invited to the party (unbeknownst to my parents), but one time the daughter was in the shop kevetching about she only wanted BOOZE at the party and not all that food, in front of my mother (who'd come to pick me up). Wonder where that headed. I didn't go to the party.

Old 09-09-2019, 02:50 PM

1,350 posts, read 870,403 times
My mom used to let my brother and I and some of our very close friends drink in the house when we were high school seniors. She would just take everyone's car keys and made everyone stay the night. She would never let us get blackout drunk though. Most of the time we hung out and watched sports and played cards. Typically just beer and/or mixed drinks. We always had to give her the money, she never paid for it. Great times!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting