U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2019, 03:41 PM

9,950 posts, read 5,542,104 times

Advertisements

Parents had a rule growing up. I was allowed to drink but afterwards I had to stay at home. I was a much more responsible drinker (still) than most of my friends as we turned legal drinking age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2019, 08:02 AM

1,229 posts, read 379,372 times
All those statistics about drinking in Europe are basically meaningless. There is a great divide between northern and southern European countries attitudes towards alcohol. Italians start drinking early but drunkness is considered bad whereas in the UK (for example) getting drunk and puking is considered part of being a young adult. They actually go to aboard on pub crawl tours.

The Italians are fed up with northern Europeans and Americans pub crawls in their cities.

Old 09-11-2019, 03:00 PM

87,342 posts, read 103,478,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
All those statistics about drinking in Europe are basically meaningless. There is a great divide between northern and southern European countries attitudes towards alcohol. Italians start drinking early but drunkness is considered bad whereas in the UK (for example) getting drunk and puking is considered part of being a young adult. They actually go to aboard on pub crawl tours.

The Italians are fed up with northern Europeans and Americans pub crawls in their cities.
This post frustrated me so much I shut down my computer and walked away. Now I'm back. If you bothered to open any of the links I posted, you'd see that it's not just northern Europe. In fact, one explicitly says that: "Heavy episodic drinking is widespread across all ages and all of Europe, and not only among young people or those from northern Europe."
WHO/Europe | Data and statistics

Of 15-16 year olds, the percentage of drinking in every western European country except Iceland is higher than the US', and Iceland is just 2 percentage points behind the US. Of the 15-16 year olds reporting being intoxicated in the last 30 days, Belgium, Italy, Portugal, Netherlands (by 2%) and Sweden (by 1 percentage point) are lower than the US; the rest are higher. (No data for Iceland on drunkenness.)

That is simply another urban legend.

Old Today, 07:38 PM

296 posts, read 61,977 times
HI went to high school with a kid who got drunk at a party hosted by another kids parents. The party involved college kids and high school kids graduation and teachers were even there. The parents had everyone hand over their keys when they arrived so they knew kids would be drinking and some were 21. Well one kid was 17 or 18 and he got a hold of keys, drove drunk, hit a tree and died. There were big lawsuits on those parents and I believe State laws were even put in place as a result. Something about hosts being responsible in these cases. It was bad. So no, I won’t be allowing drinking at my house.

Last edited by Bridge781; Today at 07:39 PM.. Reason: Added
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting