U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2019, 02:53 PM

1,213 posts, read 1,553,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
I'd repeat this very real story, guy opened the door and shot the kid (claimed later he thought the kid was a burglar)

https://www.palmbeachpost.com/articl...NEWS/812038340
Kid was 16, shooter never did anything more than weekends in jail for a year.
Ugh. Seriously, OP. Talk to the parents. Right now it's your kid. Doesn't mean it will stay that way. This is a safety issue. The above example illustrates how you have no idea who will be behind that door, what they will believe the intentions of the "pranker" are, and what their mindset will be. What a terrible tragedy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2019, 02:54 PM

216 posts, read 671,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
What does your child say about it? Is s/he aware?

Do you think it's being done in an antagonistic way?
My child thinks they are being jerks, as even my child said, they did not come looking for me to join them in hanging out.

Old 08-26-2019, 03:29 PM

13,229 posts, read 21,000,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Well, I know that as a kid it's one thing to play practical jokes or whatnot on each other. Sometimes friends, sometimes not.

Now if we were talking about vandalism or a fight then that's a whole other animal.

But for ding-dong-ditch, contacting the other kids parents....is an extreme escalation.

If you escalate this very very minor thing, it could look really bad starting with other kids thinking your kid runs to mommy and other parents being leery about having their kid interact with yours for fear of what an argument or minor fight between the kids might turn into.
I completely agree with this, especially since the kids haven't done it again since you caught them. It really IS a minor bit of childhood stupidity, nothing threatening. This could become an unnecessary mess for your child if you make a big deal out of it.

Old 08-26-2019, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I completely agree with this, especially since the kids haven't done it again since you caught them. It really IS a minor bit of childhood stupidity, nothing threatening. This could become an unnecessary mess for your child if you make a big deal out of it.

Yes, my concern about my child suffering a repercussion. Which is why I wanted to discuss with some other adults. But this just happened, so I can't say it hasn't happened again because it was just last week (and the last one a few months ago). I 99% likely will just let it go for now but if it happens again, then I will address for sure with the parents. It's not the inconvenience of the prank, it's the fact that I feel my child is being set up to be targeted as the "joke".

Old 08-26-2019, 08:35 PM

44,267 posts, read 42,777,047 times
How old are these kids in this situation?

Old 08-26-2019, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdiebelle View Post
how old are these kids in this situation?

Old 08-27-2019, 07:18 AM

781 posts, read 710,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseWords View Post

If they're ding-dong ditching at 12 I'd call it somewhat of a win, honestly. I know, I know, that may not be the most popular opinion but considering what a huge majority of kids that age are doing these days- drugs, alcohol, extreme bullying, suicide, sex, social media obsession, etc.- if the worst thing your kid is doing is ringing some doorbells and running away, I think you're doing okay.

We live in a society where EVERYTHING LITTLE THING gets under our skin and the hypersensitivity people have goes beyond what is healthy.

OP, if the ding dong ditching continues and it becomes a big nuisance or the kids are picking on your kid, then yes, address it. Otherwise, chalk it up to what is most likely is- a lame prank.

Old 08-27-2019, 08:19 AM

6,029 posts, read 4,987,925 times
^^^^^^^^^^^^This! Seriously, a mockery? It can't make a jerk of someone. You either are a jerk or you're not. But seriously, how does it make a mockery of you, or your child? It's a harmless prank. At least they didn't leave you a flaming bag of dog poop. Lighten up.

Last edited by TheShadow; 08-27-2019 at 08:32 AM..

Old 08-27-2019, 08:21 AM

6,540 posts, read 5,228,547 times
It happened to us. The next day my roommate was waiting for them. Gave them a good talking to and also had the cops go talk to them.

They were doing it all up and down the street.

Never happened again.

Old 08-27-2019, 08:35 AM

44,267 posts, read 42,777,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseWords View Post

... it's the fact that I feel my child is being set up to be targeted as the "joke".
Your child is 12 now, though, and he has to learn how to effectively deal with this kind of thing and when NOT to mess with it. You can set the example of that for him as he navigates middle school.

I would not overplay it, but just play it off like, "Man, that's dumb. What a waste of their time!" and move on.

I wouldn't set him up to feel like a victim but more like an amused observer, immune to stupidity like that.

He doesn't have to attend every conflict he's invited to, and now is a great time for him to learn that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting