U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 11:09 AM

212 posts, read 666,297 times

Advertisements

If you caught someone who is a peer (not sure it can be said it's a friend?) of your child ringing and running or ding dong ditching your house, would you let it go? Would you address with the parents of the children doing such? And the biggest question is do you think it's simply innocent fun or do you think it's generally a way to make a jerk or mockery of someone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 11:24 AM

6,606 posts, read 7,925,541 times
It could be a way to be a jerk or it could be innocent fun. It just depends on the background with the two children.

If it was a friend of my child, I'd address it with the child in a friendly way. Given it's only a peer, I'd still probably talk directly to the child first and then the parents.

I maybe picking up something that's not intended, but if you think your child is being mocked by the kid, be very careful in talking directly to the kid. That can lead to more mockery of your child.

Old Yesterday, 11:47 AM

1,250 posts, read 833,964 times
We use to ring the door bell and ditched and it was all in fun, personally I would leave it alone to see if it stops. As kids we thought it was funny and we didn't have a agenda. Maybe this a way to get his attention.

Old Yesterday, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tottsieanna View Post
We use to ring the door bell and ditched and it was all in fun, personally I would leave it alone to see if it stops. As kids we thought it was funny and we didn't have a agenda. Maybe this a way to get his attention.
As in, get attention so the kids could spend time together? I actually "caught" the kids and spoke to them casually (but not confronting about ring and run). They never once asked if my child was home and was available to hang out. They made phoney small talk to cover up when they got caught (again, I did not say anything regarding the prank).

Old Yesterday, 11:58 AM

13,222 posts, read 20,968,638 times
I'd also let it go, unless it went on for a few weeks. I know it's annoying, as kids frequently can be.

Old Yesterday, 12:00 PM

44,035 posts, read 42,618,966 times
All of my sons went through a phase of this between 10 and 13, at varying degrees.

With my youngest, the friend group often had sleepovers, and sometimes they would do this kind of thing. The ding dong ditch was taken care of one night when a homeowner called the police, and the police brought them all home. They were traumatized enough to cut it out.

Besides, once we found out they were doing it to random homes, all the parents talked and we stopped the boys from doing it.

I would have talked to the other parents if we felt targeted or if it was too much.

And I can attest that ding dong ditch is a million times better than having your yard TP rolled by scholarship baseball players. That got old REAL quick and stopped when we made them all come over and help clean up early on a Saturday.

Old Yesterday, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I'd also let it go, unless it went on for a few weeks. I know it's annoying, as kids frequently can be.
That was my gut. I do believe it happened once before but at that point I did not think ring and run. Second time this has happened, and based on the chain of events, it was 100% ring and run. And considering they aren't "friends" as in they aren't coming by to ask my child to hang out, I have to wonder if my child is being targeted to make a mockery of? This is why I debate on how to proceed.

Old Yesterday, 12:06 PM

4,449 posts, read 2,622,818 times
Oh the joys of living on the main route to school and being the parent of girls. We've already had a few boys ring/knock on the door and run away and our kids are only going into 3rd & 4th. Hopefully as these boys grow older they'll smarten up to the fact that our entire living room facing the front is windows and all we have to do is turn around and we can see them before their feet leave the stoop .

All in good fun and nothing to worry about. I've never done any more than turn around to look out the window.

Old Yesterday, 12:43 PM

6,440 posts, read 3,670,297 times
This subject recently came up on our Neighborhood Watch online site. Some woman was so angry she wanted to call the police. She described the children with malice.

I had a different view having seen my son go through an uncomfortable misunderstanding at about that age. A group of his friends came upon a wrecked bicycle and instead of knocking on the nearest door or coming home to ask someone to report it to the police (which would be the correct decision these days) they did what a group of ten-year-old-boys might do - they wrecked it some more. Argh. So much for good judgement.

Anyway a woman looked out her window and saw them, called the police, and he ended up with something on his juvenile record. That was not a good experience for a somewhat shy boy and a really bad first experience with law enforcement.

So I told the story of what I did and it worked for me. I, too, live on the route home from school and I've always enjoyed seeing the kids walk by in the morning and afternoon. Once every few years there'll be a few boys who do this. I'm a young "old" lady but to them I'm "that old lady" and that gives me a certain amount of scary authority around here.

They ring and run to hide behind the nearest tree or bush. I know the spots and could blow them up just like in a Monty Python skit if I wanted to. LOL

Instead I go out on the porch and say in my best loony old lady voice, "Come over here. I'd like to get to know you better" or something similar. So far that has taken care of the problem for me.

I imagine once they tell their parents that old lady tried to get them up on her porch they are forbidden to come anywhere near me. Smiling.

I have a good laugh, problem solved and no kid got labeled as a young criminal.

Old Yesterday, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
T

So I told the story of what I did and it worked for me. I, too, live on the route home from school and I've always enjoyed seeing the kids walk by in the morning and afternoon. Once every few years there'll be a few boys who do this. I'm a young "old" lady but to them I'm "that old lady" and that gives me a certain amount of scary authority around here.

They ring and run to hide behind the nearest tree or bush. I know the spots and could blow them up just like in a Monty Python skit if I wanted to. LOL

Instead I go out on the porch and say in my best loony old lady voice, "Come over here. I'd like to get to know you better" or something similar. So far that has taken care of the problem for me.

I imagine once they tell their parents that old lady tried to get them up on her porch they are forbidden to come anywhere near me. Smiling.

I have a good laugh, problem solved and no kid got labeled as a young criminal.
The thing is I know my home is being chosen because my child lives there, based on the kids doing it. They aren't true friends, despite being the same age. This is why I know it's being done directed towards my child, not so much to bug or annoy me or the adults in the home. So while I find your way of dealing so amusing, I feel there is more to the reasoning behind it and wonder if I should address it now somehow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting