Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2019, 07:49 PM

2,068 posts, read 998,988 times

Advertisements

I personally would not attend a drag show. Why would I subject my child, or any child, to such?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2019, 08:11 AM

1,495 posts, read 1,672,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly1983 View Post
Have you looked at the research about autogynephilia? It is an artform motivated by a sexual fetish. Many cross dressers admit this.
That's false equivalence. Some people get turned on by eating ice cream, but we don't assume that anyone eating ice cream in public is getting some kind of sexual pleasure form it. Given all the tucking involved, I expect that getting turned on would be a detriment to being a drag queen.

Old 09-30-2019, 06:36 AM

538 posts, read 385,839 times
There was a video that had the drag Queen and librarian singing with the kids. Little boys not more than 3 years old where singing “The blush on the Queen goes brush brush brush, the wig on the Queen goes toss toss toss”. And acting it out. I think that’s disturbing.

Old 09-30-2019, 08:38 AM

6,560 posts, read 8,391,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriank7 View Post
There was a video that had the drag Queen and librarian singing with the kids. Little boys not more than 3 years old where singing “The blush on the Queen goes brush brush brush, the wig on the Queen goes toss toss toss”. And acting it out. I think that’s disturbing.
Here's a very simple solution: Don't watch videos that you find disturbing. Easy peasy.

Old 09-30-2019, 08:54 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,397,020 times
My kids are too old now, but my thoughts are pretty whatever. It doesn't bother me, but I wouldn't have specifically gone either. If we happened to be out and my kids wanted to stop and listen (they generally loved storytimes), we would have stopped. No big deal.

Old 09-30-2019, 01:55 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,025,141 times
I used to think I was a conservative person: until I read what other 'conservative' people say, and then it makes me wonder just what exactly, I am.

I haven't got a problem with drag queens reading to kids. I just don't. My boys are older now, but maybe I would've taken them to the library back in the day, if a drag queen was reading. I don't know. Seems pretty benign to me. But you know...I don't have a ton of experience with drag queens. All I know is what I see in movies or on TV. It all seems pretty light hearted to me.

Didn't even know I was supposed to be outraged at men portraying women. How about that.

Old 09-30-2019, 03:41 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,380,774 times
Men actually did portray women (and vice versa) in stage and theater, back in the 1800s and earlier. Even in the early 1900s this was still common.

Old 02-24-2022, 10:43 AM

16,395 posts, read 8,187,139 times
I just find this to be a strange concept. How about a woman dressed up as a man reading books to kids? I mean the kids who go to storytime are generally toddlers/preschoolers. I typically see story hour at 11am on a weekday when school aged kids who might have a clue as to what is going on are in school. A 2 or 3 year old might not pick up on a man dressed as a woman reading a book. So what is the point really? Why do kids at this age need to know about gender issues? I have no problem at all with transgender people or my kids being around them but a children's story hour dedicated to them does seem odd.

Old 02-24-2022, 04:19 PM

20,390 posts, read 14,656,708 times
I can see two sides of this, because on the one hand, I have more contact than most with the LGBTQ+ folks...and on the other, I raised two kids and lived in a very "wholesome/family oriented" mindset for a bunch of years, most especially when they were little.

But I also have to say that I don't really see drag queens as being very much like most of the gay, lesbian, and in fact even trans people that I know. I realize that to most this won't make much sense...but while a drag queen might ALSO be gay or not, there is a very dramatic and performative aspect. Most of the gay, lesbian and trans people I know want to just live their lives for the most part. Sure, they might go loud for Pride, but their identities are not always like a shout in the face. Mostly they want to have jobs, pay the rent, walk the dog, have a partner...life pretty normal ish kinds of lives. Again, even the trans people I've known, many of whom you would not even know that they are trans, unless they told you.

But there is something more....clowns meets Kardashians meets burlesque with the drag folks. Lots of loud drama, more volatile energy. The thing itself, I respect as an actual art form. I have known many who craft their own clothing and spend years perfecting their character for the stage. The makeup is often a pretty amazing skill, in my opinion, since even though I am an artist, I absolutely suck at doing makeup. I can appreciate and admire the skills, I don't generally have a problem with drag queens.

But this... Look, I just want to sigh and say, "can we just admit you're trying to provoke people?" It's an exercise in edginess, to get people all upset, and then be able to say, "What? I'm not doing anything wrong? What is more wholesome than reading to children? Do YOU read to children?" But it's a set up. And to me there is just something tiresome about that.

Like in a way, I almost wish it were truly as altruistic as it could be. Like I can imagine children being perhaps more apt to sit and listen to a story told by a flashy, dazzling, super dressed up person. Maybe it would keep their attention, I dunno. But it's the deliberately provocative nature of it, it feels like using kids as pawns for a culture war. And it doesn't much matter that I am on the side of people who dress in drag being treated kindly...in fact, I am...but I still feel more than a bit "come on...really? Must you?" about it.

And they know, and I know, that there's not likely any element of sexual perversion, but it just INVITES all the pearl clutching types to freak out, and of course they know it. It reminds me more than a little of the Satanic Temple people's shenanigans. Which I am all for, when it's adults engaging other adults on ideological freedoms and whatever, sure...sue the state of YeeHaw over their courthouse statuary, it'll be a hoot, why not. But trying to start Satanic clubs for schoolkids and making kids' coloring books... I was not so much outraged as I was, again, like "come on you guys." I outgrew the need to be that edgy just to provoke outrage, pretty much around the time I stopped being a teenager. It comes off to me just as over the top attention seeking.

And frankly, non-mainstream religions and the LGBTQ+ community don't really benefit from these kinds of outliers basically convincing the mainstream types that they are big scary boogyman threats to the children.

Old 02-25-2022, 11:59 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
And here we are still discussing this topic. Are the drag queens still reading to kids?

My thought on this, children are constantly exposed to people in costume. School mascots, Halloween, salesmen dressed up as cowboys, or dogs, or gorillas, or Disney princesses. I don't think that turns kids into bulldogs or whatever costume they have seen. As far as I am concerned, this is just another person in a costume, and that is not difficult to explain to a child.

As I said before, my child won't be going to story time in drag, but if you want to take your kid, I don't really see any difficulty with it as long as the parent doesn't get all upset about it. Kids will just take it in stride and accept whatever explanation the parent gives.

(I would worry about taking my child if angry protestors were lining the streets chanting hate slogans. That's no place for a child to be, but is that what is happening about these library reading sessions?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting