U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 12:26 PM

8,363 posts, read 3,280,751 times

Advertisements

I think it is strange how drag queens seem to be taking over libraries across the country, but so long as kids aren't being forced to go to these events by their schools or something, they are nothing to lose sleep over. I'll just not send my children to any of these events, and get on with life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 12:34 PM

5,284 posts, read 2,014,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
The thread, drag queens, or story time?
The drag queens . . . what is the point of them reading to kids?

Old Yesterday, 12:53 PM

44,121 posts, read 42,667,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
The drag queens . . . what is the point of them reading to kids?
There's a nonprofit organizing many of the events that has 35 chapters in the US and 5 overseas.

They say it's to teach the kids acceptance, not bullying, learning to make good choices, how to be nice to other people, etc.

Some organizers have been quoted as saying they aren't there to recruit little drag queens. They do have protesters at most every event now, which some of them address in their presentation.

One of the guys who founded the nonprofit says there is a need for it (LGBTQ representation) in rural communities that aren't big liberal cities.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/06/u...tory-hour.html

Old Yesterday, 09:11 PM

18,772 posts, read 23,507,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriank7 View Post
Drag queens are fun for adult entertainment. But for 2 to 8 year olds?

https://calendar.vapld.info/eventsig...&page=&pgdisp=
My opinion doesn't matter. I am not a drag queen and I don't have young children or grandchildren.

In other words, I have no stake in the issue. Do you?

If you don't like the books, don't read them to young children in your life. That's al.

Old Yesterday, 09:13 PM

56,029 posts, read 75,074,816 times
I think public places have been high jacked

Old Yesterday, 09:19 PM

32,415 posts, read 20,419,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
I think public places have been high jacked

By the public?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old Today, 12:43 AM

10,352 posts, read 6,435,663 times
I think it's degrading to women, my children would not attend.

Last edited by elan; Today at 02:03 AM..

Old Today, 12:50 AM

9,289 posts, read 11,015,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
To the kids, they're just people in fancy costumes and makeup reading books.
Right? The children aren't being kidnapped off of the street. Either sign your kid up or don't.

Old Today, 05:09 AM

1,001 posts, read 231,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseWords View Post
I find it extremely inappropriate and insane to be honest. I would never bring my children and I would have a big problem if my library did this. There is no need for children to be read stories by men who choose to dress as women.
Really, it's all about conforming to gender roles. Some people are upset by men and woman who decline to adhere to the roles that society dictates they assume based on their sex. One sort of conformity that is demanded is attire.

Remember, as recently as within the last half century, people were prosecuted in the United States for such crimes. In 1974, there was a conviction of a man wearing a dress in public under Section 909-5 of the Cincinnati Municipal Code, which read as follows:
Quote:
"No person within the city of Cincinnati shall appear in a dress or costume not customarily worn by his or her sex, or in a disguise when such dress, apparel, or disguise is worn with the intent of committing any indecent or immoral act or of violating any ordinance of the city of Cincinnati or law of the state of Ohio.

"All of the surrounding circumstances and behavior of the individual charged with the violation of this section may be considered as relevant in regard to showing the existence of the required intent.

"Whoever violates this section shall be guilty of dressing for illegal or immoral purposes, a misdemeanor of the fourth degree."
Happily, the conviction was thrown out by a sensible appeals court. But these laws were very common. Of course, they were primarily aimed at women, who - if they weren't kept 'in their place' - might get crazy ideas and start doing things like ... wearing pants!

It wasn't until 1969 that a female member of Congress for the first time appeared in the House chamber wearing pants, and a woman winning an Oscar for the first time accepted her award in pants. Both events made a lot of news, and the reach-for-the-smelling-salts crowd was, of course, appalled.

It wasn't until Title IX passed in the 1970s that mandating the wearing of dresses by girls in public schools was prohibited.

And the United States Senate didn't get around to lifting its requirement that female Senators wear dresses until 1993.

In a nutshell, a lot of people are outraged when individuals choose not to stay within the social niche that the conformity scolds and the lecturing finger-waggers demand they stay. And they know that unless children are specifically taught to share this outrage and the demand for conformity, they will accept individuals for who they are.

Old Today, 06:52 AM

13,024 posts, read 14,288,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
To the kids, they're just people in fancy costumes and makeup reading books.
I cannot imagine that little kids attach any more meaning to these costumed people than they do to people dressed as clowns, animals or imaginary creatures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or