U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2019, 06:37 AM

460 posts, read 477,373 times

Advertisements

My son lives near the west coast and I live on the east coast. He lives by himself, lives a pretty frugal lifestyle and he makes a lot more money than I do. He recently needed me to stay with him for a few days since he had some minor surgery. He offered to pay for my plane ticket, and I didn't take him up on the offer initially. It somehow seems wrong for the child to pay for the parent. But he does make a lot more money than I do and traveling out there has impacted my finances to a degree. I bought a lot of groceries while out there, and had to buy quite a few practical things since my son lives so "frugally" shall we say.

So, would you ask your son to reimburse for the plane ticket?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2019, 06:50 AM

44,236 posts, read 42,757,083 times
I would not ask him to reimburse me once I had already declined his offer to pay for it, no.

Next time I probably would say yes if he offered to pay, though.

It's great that you were able to be with him for his procedure! I hope all went well.

Old 09-02-2019, 07:01 AM

15,122 posts, read 21,979,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
I would not ask him to reimburse me once I had already declined his offer to pay for it, no.

It's great that you were able to be with him for his procedure! I hope all went well.
^^^^exactly.

Old 09-02-2019, 07:33 AM

1,284 posts, read 398,777 times
If there's a next time, he should pay. You should have excepted his offer, but that ship has sailed.

And, should he ask you to come again and not offer to pay because he might assume you don't want him to now, tell him you can't afford it. Be upfront, saves trouble.

Old 09-02-2019, 07:44 AM

1,464 posts, read 1,145,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post

This

Old 09-02-2019, 08:42 AM

6,162 posts, read 3,427,077 times
This is family, and if you can’t ask them for help, who can you ask? I would tell him exactly what you said here, and make it not just about the flight but about the overall impact. In hindsight the expenses of the entire trip are causing a hardship for you and can he help you out?

Old 09-02-2019, 02:47 PM

17,438 posts, read 17,734,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
If there's a next time, he should pay. You should have excepted his offer, but that ship has sailed.

And, should he ask you to come again and not offer to pay because he might assume you don't want him to now, tell him you can't afford it. Be upfront, saves trouble.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
This is family, and if you canít ask them for help, who can you ask? I would tell him exactly what you said here, and make it not just about the flight but about the overall impact. In hindsight the expenses of the entire trip are causing a hardship for you and can he help you out?
Depending on your financial situation vs. his financial situation. Do either of these two things.

There are many situations where an adult child makes more than their parent, especially if the parent is retired. In those cases, IMHO, it is perfectly fine for the adult child to start to take over paying for things that the parent used to pay for, such as airplane tickets, restaurant meals and groceries.

Old 09-02-2019, 04:01 PM

21,468 posts, read 12,108,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
This is family, and if you canít ask them for help, who can you ask? I would tell him exactly what you said here, and make it not just about the flight but about the overall impact. In hindsight the expenses of the entire trip are causing a hardship for you and can he help you out?
This.

He has more money than you, and this turned out to be more of a financial impact than you realized it would be, so you'd like to accept his initial offer to pay for the tickets.

If he didn't have the money, then of course I would have politely refused the offer. But I saw my own father regularly pay for things for his own mother, because he had a lot more than she did. That's what made sense.

Old 09-02-2019, 05:55 PM

4,107 posts, read 1,637,980 times
"So, would you ask your son to reimburse for the plane ticket?"
already have.

Old 09-02-2019, 06:13 PM

6,476 posts, read 10,014,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakealope View Post
He offered to pay for my plane ticket, and I didn't take him up on the offer initially. It somehow seems wrong for the child to pay for the parent.

You need to let go of this "wrong for the child to pay for the parent" nonsense. He's a full-fledged adult, and behaved like it. Treat him like it. Why do you want to supress that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or