Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2019, 02:48 PM

277 posts, read 771,947 times

Advertisements

My gf's kid was diagnosed with ADHD and she would like to try a more natural approach before medicating him with drugs. Has anyone seen positive improvements with ADHD in their child using non-prescription remedies?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2019, 03:42 PM

16,010 posts, read 21,025,382 times
I've not heard of any type of OTC med that would help with ADHD, but we were shown some techniques to use with my son to help him handle some aspects of the ADD better.
https://www.understood.org/en/learni...-focus-in-kids

Old 09-05-2019, 06:56 PM

1,159 posts, read 614,676 times
Some people try removing gluten from person's diet. Breathing techniques. Search for a holistic dietitian and see if diet change or other things could work.
I have had ADD all my life and as a child I never did good on medication. Learning to manage the disability without depending on meds is often better.
What does the child's school for to assist? Special class size? Extra time on tests?

Old 09-06-2019, 06:53 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,208,181 times
Diet, high EPA fish oil, aromatherapy... I guess it helped a *little*. But as she got older, it became apparent that it just wasn’t helping with the big issues, like inattention and impulsively.

Old 09-06-2019, 07:24 AM

407 posts, read 368,615 times
I have not dealt with this personally, but friends have said that changing their kid's diets have helped. However they said it was not a complete "fix". Eliminating dyes (red dye was a key one), gluten and other things. In most cases, it was just a complement to additional treatments.

Old 09-06-2019, 08:47 AM

13,262 posts, read 7,978,903 times
My youngest son took Ritalin growing up, and it helped tremendously, as far as improving his grades, concentration etc. However, he never liked taking it. (He told me this as an adult.) He did a little research, and decided to start taking Gingko biloba supplements. You can google Gingko Biloba and ADD and see what it says.

My son thought it was helpful. Now...he doesn't take anything I don't think.

Old 09-06-2019, 11:31 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,748,914 times
There is none. Please don't encourage her to torture her child with food restrictions, or to endanger him with "supplements", which are all untested, and unapproved. If the child's ADD/ADHD is interfering with school and life-functioning, they should see their pediatrician or a child psychiatrist, and follow the doctor's recommendations.

Old 09-06-2019, 01:00 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,257,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grassroots View Post
My gf's kid was diagnosed with ADHD and she would like to try a more natural approach before medicating him with drugs. Has anyone seen positive improvements with ADHD in their child using non-prescription remedies?
I was urged to take a nutritional approach so, after seeing references to the Feingold diet, decided to read Dr. Feingold's book. He did 20 years researching allergies, stumbled upon this and spent another 20 years researching the effects of artificial colors and flavors on some children. It was life changing for me and my son.

"Torturing" is not what you do by feeding them healthy. That would be what you do by putting those chemicals into them.

They recognize the difference. It's easy and only takes 3 days for the chemicals to leave once you start.

Old 09-06-2019, 02:06 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,251,941 times
There are behavioral approaches, too, depending on how severe it is. My son did well in a military boarding school (structured environment) but then had issue sin college where he was more on his own. We finally got him a good therapist (and insurance covered diddly) who started him on Adderall while they worked on other techniques. Some of the requirements: no video games, regular sleep hours, no junk food, physical exercise, and some specific techniques to help him get organized.

Now, thank heaven, he's 34 and happily married with a good job and wonderful kids. Interestingly, he ended up in a field (claims adjusting in insurance) that suited his need for variety in his work. You get bored with one claim file, you work on another. He gave up the Adderall long ago- said he felt better without it than with it- but he still plays basketball regularly, eats healthy and sleeps regular hours. I don't know what the psychologist's bills added up to but he was worth every dime. And, while I'm glad DS is no longer on meds, they were a good "bridge" while he attacked the issue from other angles.

Old 09-06-2019, 02:13 PM

13,262 posts, read 7,978,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
There is none. Please don't encourage her to torture her child with food restrictions, or to endanger him with "supplements", which are all untested, and unapproved. If the child's ADD/ADHD is interfering with school and life-functioning, they should see their pediatrician or a child psychiatrist, and follow the doctor's recommendations.

Since OP said that the child was recently diagnosed, one can assume the child IS under a doctor's care. But I would agree with you, GF should consult with her doctor rather than ask us really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting