U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 04:32 AM

18 posts, read 2,502 times

Advertisements

I don't have kids and most my friends and people around me have kids, yeah most the time "I cant relate" oh yeah and I almost dropped one of my best friends one year old baby or toddler (not even sure) cause I didn't know how to hold her properly... This doesn't affect my friendships with these women but I can relate to people assuming something is wrong with me cause I'm single and don't have kids yet at age 28.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 06:29 AM

2,821 posts, read 1,723,992 times
We have two groups of friends, those with kids, and those without. We have found that it's not a good idea to mix the two. We have one kid, and get along just fine with other parents who have children, we're going through the same stage in life that they are, which makes it easy to talk about virtually anything.

When we hang out with friends who do not have kids, we try to limit conversation about our kid and talk about other things, because we know it's simply not going to be that interesting to someone who doesn't have kids. They have no interest in hearing about problems with the PTO, or soccer practice, etc. They don't have anything to add to those conversations in most cases, and we get it.

But it's important to try to maintain friendships with people who have no kids... They're the ones who are able to meet up at a moment's notice to go out to dinner or drinks when you have plans that have suddenly fell through for whatever reason, they are far more easy to do something spontaneous with than couples that need to plan around kids.

Old Yesterday, 06:45 AM

6,478 posts, read 6,567,327 times
I donít exclude people without kids from any event except kid related events. My single friends donít want to go to the trampoline place. However, I have occasionally excluded friends who bring their kids everywhere, even if itís an adult only event.

Old Yesterday, 06:46 AM

6,478 posts, read 6,567,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destar Menen View Post
I don't have kids and most my friends and people around me have kids, yeah most the time "I cant relate" oh yeah and I almost dropped one of my best friends one year old baby or toddler (not even sure) cause I didn't know how to hold her properly... This doesn't affect my friendships with these women but I can relate to people assuming something is wrong with me cause I'm single and don't have kids yet at age 28.
You still have plenty of time to have children if you want them.

Old Yesterday, 09:14 AM

87,301 posts, read 103,436,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
Couples without children invariably think that breeders are fascinated with their younger relatives.
They're not.

Giving birth has little to do with whether people are interesting.
Referring to people who have kids as "breeders" is not the basis for a good friendship.

Old Yesterday, 09:35 AM

527 posts, read 437,187 times
Find better friends. I know plenty of people who don't have kids. Goodness, I am married does that mean I can only talk to married people. NOOO!

Old Yesterday, 11:30 AM

4,081 posts, read 1,753,254 times
Years ago, I was chatting with a man who spent 20 minutes or so complaining about how much work his kids are. When he paused to take a breath, I said, "I understand, that's why I don't have kids."

He just about lost it, told me it was my duty to god to have children.
Yet another reason to embrace atheism.

That's the only truly negative experience I've had with judgmental people and my lack of progeny, but I've never had friends with kids. We just aren't on the same page.

Old Yesterday, 11:35 AM

1,054 posts, read 757,133 times
Chippish:

Someone who is bothered about not being invited to a gathering of moms. That's how society works. Someone who complains that the entire social strata won't bend to their special snowflakey sensibilities.

Child-free people don't want to hear about my kids, and I don't have the time to waste listening to the pointless crap that fills up their time, either.

Going on a model train forum and complaining about how all my friends have taken up modeling, and all they talk about is their H-O scale locomotives, and which track cleaner is best, and how they never invite me out for a drink with their model train-building buddies, and how the movies and TV show non-model-train-ers in a negative light, indicates I have a chip on my shoulder about model trains. I don't want to build a model train, so I should probably move on and find new friends who are less into trains.

Old Yesterday, 01:28 PM

13,233 posts, read 21,017,668 times
When my kids were young, we mainly, but not exclusively, socialized with other new parents. Singles and couples without kids weren't excluded, but they gradually faded away, and I understood why. We could no longer be spur of the moment people, and our nights ended a lot earlier than theirs did.

Once the kids hit their teens it was almost a non-issue between us and the child-free people we know. I went back to work, and the kid talk was a lot less. Until, at least, the grandkids started coming. Grandparents can be worse than new parents.

Old Yesterday, 02:09 PM
DKM

3,028 posts, read 1,085,036 times
Moving to a new area kind of makes you reset your friends. You have a lot more interaction with other parents with kids your age and frankly the vast majority of people where I live have kids. So we basically made friends with other parents. I know few on a personal level over 30 who don't have kids.

As for friends from my old life, I can only think of 2 people who never had kids and its harder to relate to them as time goes on. I don't know what people do with their lives when they are 40 and childless/single. It is so hard to imagine what it would be like...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or