U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2019, 09:31 AM

10,572 posts, read 6,535,240 times

Advertisements

4 p.m. to 6 p.m. were always the hardest in my household. The kids were getting tired, vying for attention, hungry and so on. I also noticed this while watching my nephew day before yesterday. He was getting so bad, I fed him dinner at 5 (an hour early). He mellowed right out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2019, 09:44 AM

12,903 posts, read 10,226,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
Running around, jumping, fighting over toys, constantly asking for snacks, not picking things up even when asked.
As long as their "fighting" doesn't escalate to the point they are seriously trying to hurt each other, it's nothing to worry about.

Sounds to me like you are just exhausted a lot sooner than the kids are.

Old 09-15-2019, 09:48 AM

32,772 posts, read 20,725,546 times
I think it is normal BUT.... you need to establish parameters.

If you do not pick up your toys then X will occur. (always follow through)

If you want me to read to you, then you need to do X.

If you do not play nicely together, then X will happen.

They are young, so you will have to help them with the concepts a little and give some fair warning. A pain, but it should pay off in the long run.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 09-15-2019, 01:23 PM

5,604 posts, read 3,034,319 times
Quote:
...but together they have been making me crazy. They act wild, bicker and argue and go out of their way to annoy each other and me.
Have you ever asked them why?

I don't think it is normal. How do you handle it? Are you taking sides? Do you unknowingly dot on one more than the other? Are you more protective of the three year old girl? Kids can sense favoritism quickly and use it against the other or for an advantage.

My three sons played well together. They were two years apart, give or take a couple of months. The times they would have a problem I would send them upstairs to the hallway to work it out. When everything was good between them, they could come downstairs. I would not get involved.

Old 09-16-2019, 06:20 AM

372 posts, read 276,509 times
Who is watching them while you are at work? Is that caretaker letting them run wild? Are there rules in your household?

Good luck!

Last edited by bbtondo; 09-16-2019 at 06:32 AM..

Old 09-16-2019, 07:03 AM

5,823 posts, read 5,003,420 times
Mom had rules, if you didn't pick up your toys you lost them period end of discussion.
I respected my mother because she stood by her rules.and her word. not, I'm giving you till 5 to do something.
You don't give children choices they do not have the knowledge/ skill/right to reason against you. they are your children, not your friends. friends earn respect, it is not an automatic debit. unless you are raising liberals.
I respected my parents because their word was believable. Though I did not always agree I knew they had the best intentions for me.
The first 5 years are the formative years you have to be straight and tough. these are strangers looking for your limitations. and you must stick to your word which means you need to be sure about what you demand and hold to it.
Never undermine your spouse especially in front of your kids, they will use it AGAINST YOU. If you disagree discuss it privately. (this is concerning the kids ) other disagreements need to be seen by them "as you work them out". Kids need to see you resolve issues honestly. it matters.

Old 09-16-2019, 03:48 PM

1,271 posts, read 402,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
They undoubtedly need

1. to get their energy out.
2. attention from you.
When you get home, start a ritual. They can pick out one book each for you to read. A friend read on chapter of a long book before dinner each night. Whichever, give them your undivided attention.

I also had play dough and coloring books/crayons for a quiet end of the day activity. While coloring, I asked them about their days. It's is easier to talk to kids when their hands are busy. Then it gets much easier to talk to teenagers when you are in the car with them.

Very soon, after dinner is going to become homework time so set a pre-dinner routine.

Old 09-17-2019, 08:10 PM

427 posts, read 97,663 times
I was pretty frustrated when I wrote this. They their moments but the past few days have been ok. Their listening skills really need to improve. They just seem wild at times but I donít have anyone else to compare them to so maybe itís me.

Old 09-18-2019, 07:01 AM

13,473 posts, read 10,303,709 times
Quote:
I have two kids, my son is 5 and my daughter is 3. On their own and at school they are very well behaved but together they have been making me crazy. They act wild, bicker and argue and go out of their way to annoy each other and me. My DH and I have tried doing things like putting them in our yard to have them play alone for a bit but they donít want to be out there if one of us isnít there. I recall my brother and I spending hours playing in the yard and this seems to be pretty common for kids to play in the yard on their own for an hour or so but not my kids. I feel like the only time they behave is if Iím reading to them, theyíre watching tv, occasionally playing with their own toys or if weíre out doing a family activity

I feel like I am stressed when Iím in the house with them because they end up being wild and not listening. I work full time so I donít even see them between 9 and 5. I want to enjoy my time with them but they donít behave. I find myself yelling my DH ends up telling as well and it feels chaotic. I feel like they donít listen to me so I will often leave the room. Then my DH gets mad at me. I donít see this getting any easier or better. DH is like you just want quiet kids who just sit there. Well yes sometimes I do! I often feel like I want to leave the house and drive away. Iíd come back of course, lol but theyíve really been putting me on edge lately. They are in kindergarten and preschool and donít seem all that tired when they get home. I think maybe they are tired but just act badly because they are. I just want them to listen and I want things more peaceful.

Any ideas on after school activities? We sometimes do the library or the park if itís nice. Thereís only so much I can do being at work during the week but dinner time, bathtime and bedtime have been unbearable lately. I worked from home today and it was one of those days I wanted to run screaming out of the house. I never thought Iíd be annoyed by my own kids and I do feel bad. When I spend time with them on their own itís great.
They are

1. Badly behaved kids AND
2. Just acting their age.

First get rid of the notion that kids of any age beyond newborn will just sit there quietly coloring or playing outside without interaction/supervision/learning.

Then get over to something like this

https://parenting.vickihoefle.com/av...online-courses

Old 09-18-2019, 08:07 AM

1,271 posts, read 402,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post

First get rid of the notion that kids of any age beyond newborn will just sit there quietly coloring or playing outside without interaction/supervision/learning.

Honestly, I would find more time for them. Could you work at home or leave work an hour earlier. Obviously they are looking for your attention.

Years ago, I was at a park with my kids. A woman came to pick up her six or seven year old daughter. The girl kept playing by herself, ignoring her mother. Her mother said her daughter was so busy playing, she must be happy.

OMG, I wanted to shout at the mother. Her daughter wasn't happy. She was withdrawn and unconnected to her mother.

Be happy your kids are looking for your attention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or