U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2019, 09:54 AM

3,455 posts, read 3,311,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
My sons used to kick a playground ball back and forth on the trampoline for hours. They "invented" knee ball and all kinds of games.

Not sure it would work with a 3-year-old but when she's a bit older, yep
My niece who is now 5 jumps on our trampoline every time she comes over and has since she was 3. The older kids just have to tone it down when she was on it, but she loved it. The kids can take turns on it if need be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2019, 01:11 PM

17 posts, read 2,589 times
I found a fun that calms my little son down on a bike ride with me. Now I'm picking up a bicycle helmet for him, check. Two years later, when he is five, I will buy a bicycle for him.

Old 10-01-2019, 08:37 PM

427 posts, read 97,663 times
An example of this was yesterday at the library. I was waiting in line to check out books, person in front of me was taking a while. Kids thought it would be funny to look at me in line and run into other rooms of library laughing. I had told them to sit and wait for me. They’d look me laugh and run off to a room. I felt helpless because I could say anything really since we have to be quiet. I also wanted to get the hell out of there and didn’t want to lose my place in line.

Old 10-01-2019, 08:42 PM

44,790 posts, read 43,259,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
An example of this was yesterday at the library. I was waiting in line to check out books, person in front of me was taking a while. Kids thought it would be funny to look at me in line and run into other rooms of library laughing. I had told them to sit and wait for me. Theyíd look me laugh and run off to a room. I felt helpless because I could say anything really since we have to be quiet. I also wanted to get the hell out of there and didnít want to lose my place in line.
Next time put the books down and leave.

They have to learn that there are consequences for their actions. You are not a hostage, Mom.

Old 10-01-2019, 08:47 PM

427 posts, read 97,663 times
I know. My DH one time did take away movie night and my 5 yr son basically cried himself to sleep. Broke my heart.

Old 10-01-2019, 08:57 PM

44,790 posts, read 43,259,455 times
Quote:
I know. My DH one time did take away movie night and my 5 yr son basically cried himself to sleep. Broke my heart.
Consistency is key at that age. They have to know you have a zero-tolerance policy for this kind of BS.

Not only is it very inconsiderate to others for them to run around the library, but it's not safe.

Old 10-01-2019, 09:29 PM

5,931 posts, read 4,335,293 times
I was a stay-at-home-mom and I found it very difficult at times too when my two boys acted up. They were very noisy and rambunctious too, believe me.

OP, what you need to do is have one night/weekly or a few hours on the weekend that you go out and do something. Join some kind of sports (bowling, riding, tennis, etc) that is only for YOU.

Maybe there are other mothers in your group of friends that would all like a night out?

I know that I had two afternoons that I got a babysitter and went out for 3 hours at a time. (riding my horse) It saved my sanity knowing that I had those 6 hours weekly that I could count on to escape the noise and confusion with two small kiddies.

Old 10-01-2019, 09:33 PM

1,285 posts, read 462,945 times
Quote:
I have two kids, my son is 5 and my daughter is 3. On their own and at school they are very well behaved but together they have been making me crazy. They act wild, bicker and argue and go out of their way to annoy each other and me. My DH and I have tried doing things like putting them in our yard to have them play alone for a bit but they donít want to be out there if one of us isnít there. I recall my brother and I spending hours playing in the yard and this seems to be pretty common for kids to play in the yard on their own for an hour or so but not my kids. I feel like the only time they behave is if Iím reading to them, theyíre watching tv, occasionally playing with their own toys or if weíre out doing a family activity

I feel like I am stressed when Iím in the house with them because they end up being wild and not listening. I work full time so I donít even see them between 9 and 5. I want to enjoy my time with them but they donít behave. I find myself yelling my DH ends up telling as well and it feels chaotic. I feel like they donít listen to me so I will often leave the room. Then my DH gets mad at me. I donít see this getting any easier or better. DH is like you just want quiet kids who just sit there. Well yes sometimes I do! I often feel like I want to leave the house and drive away. Iíd come back of course, lol but theyíve really been putting me on edge lately. They are in kindergarten and preschool and donít seem all that tired when they get home. I think maybe they are tired but just act badly because they are. I just want them to listen and I want things more peaceful.

Any ideas on after school activities? We sometimes do the library or the park if itís nice. Thereís only so much I can do being at work during the week but dinner time, bathtime and bedtime have been unbearable lately. I worked from home today and it was one of those days I wanted to run screaming out of the house. I never thought Iíd be annoyed by my own kids and I do feel bad. When I spend time with them on their own itís great.
Reminds me of something my divorced mother of 4 used to say when raising us in the 70's. Throw in 2 more cousins she took care of after school and you can imagine the stress she was under. It wasn't until we got a little older that mom figured out a way to stop the tattling/arguing. She said to us 6 "if anyone comes in here and tattles, EVERYONE is going to go take a nap. I dont care if you are sleeply or not. You guys are not going to drive me crazy."

Surely she's bluffing. She wasn't. We learned to work out our problems ourselves. Smart move mom.

Old Today, 06:44 PM

2,731 posts, read 2,116,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert&Ripley View Post
Reminds me of something my divorced mother of 4 used to say when raising us in the 70's. Throw in 2 more cousins she took care of after school and you can imagine the stress she was under. It wasn't until we got a little older that mom figured out a way to stop the tattling/arguing. She said to us 6 "if anyone comes in here and tattles, EVERYONE is going to go take a nap. I dont care if you are sleeply or not. You guys are not going to drive me crazy."

Surely she's bluffing. She wasn't. We learned to work out our problems ourselves. Smart move mom.
I should do this with the kids I babysit for who are close in age
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or