U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 09:18 AM

44,486 posts, read 43,005,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
I get preparing them and all but I donít think I had homework until 4th grade.
What does his homework consist of?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 09:21 AM

79,605 posts, read 72,125,585 times
Quote:
Heís there from 8am to 2pm. He actually likes homework at the moment. I think it makes him feel important that he has something to do.
You haven't told us the nature of the homework, so we have no way to evaluate the situation.

However, it doesn't seem to be too much for him, since he's enjoying it. Light homework can provide structure for a child, and begin to get them accustomed to discipline and time management, not that a lot of that is required at that age, but it's more about preparing the ground for later grades. It's the first stage of establishing good study habits: some easy training wheels.

OP, if it's not broke, don't try to fix it.

Old Yesterday, 09:25 AM

79,605 posts, read 72,125,585 times
Quote:
I get preparing them and all but I donít think I had homework until 4th grade.
I think I had homework in 1st grade already; simple addition for math, spelling practice of some sort, reading the Dick and Jane books at home. 2nd grade built on that, and also had reading assignments about nutrition, the food groups, etc.

Old Yesterday, 09:28 AM

363 posts, read 76,750 times
It’s like tracing letters, circling then object that begins with a certain letter, counting objects and indicating the number of them. Things like that. It is also just one more thing for DH and I to do. I know homework is coming. It’s not a huge deal. I just wonder why someone decides there needs to be homework in kindergarten. Just feeling like things are getting more intense.

Old Yesterday, 09:32 AM

44,486 posts, read 43,005,036 times
Quote:
It’s like tracing letters, circling then object that begins with a certain letter, counting objects and indicating the number of them. Things like that. It is also just one more thing for DH and I to do. I know homework is coming. It’s not a huge deal. I just wonder why someone decides there needs to be homework in kindergarten. Just feeling like things are getting more intense.
Things are getting more intense.

Back when we all were in school, it wasn't a given that everybody went to college. So now that a college degree is the new high school diploma, education is different, and kindergartners have to do a worksheet for homework.

The part in bold ^^^ is the one thing that you need to work on. Being a parent definitely doesn't ease up as they get older. Certain things fall by the wayside, but I constantly had to combat my inner lazy streak.

Follow his lead and encourage that excitement. He'll develop that bad homework attitude soon enough.

Old Yesterday, 09:43 AM

9,800 posts, read 5,932,436 times
Quote:
Itís like tracing letters, circling then object that begins with a certain letter, counting objects and indicating the number of them. Things like that. It is also just one more thing for DH and I to do. I know homework is coming. Itís not a huge deal. I just wonder why someone decides there needs to be homework in kindergarten. Just feeling like things are getting more intense.

The expectations have changed from when I was a kid. Kindergarten was half day and was mostly just fun and used as a way to help kids transition from being home to being in school. I remember lots of playtime and art projects. Kidís are now expected to learn to read in Kindergarten and teachers are under pressure that just wasnít there before. Kindergarten in the news first grade, whether the kids are developmentally ready for it, or not.

Old Yesterday, 09:55 AM

5,354 posts, read 2,062,844 times
I'm amazed there are so many drone parents who allow the schools to infringe upon their family lives.

It has been proven that rote homework is not useful, and is, in fact, damaging to the child and the family.

Pretty soon the schools will be dictating that you "assist" your child with the disgusting homework, and you will have no choice, but to comply or leave - they can actually MAKE YOU DO WORK - It's a very sick system.

Homeschool or find a private school that has respect for children, parents, and family time.

Old Yesterday, 10:40 AM

3,444 posts, read 3,295,705 times
Quote:
Itís like tracing letters, circling then object that begins with a certain letter, counting objects and indicating the number of them. Things like that. It is also just one more thing for DH and I to do. I know homework is coming. Itís not a huge deal. I just wonder why someone decides there needs to be homework in kindergarten. Just feeling like things are getting more intense.
It's not for you and your DH to do, it's your son's homework. Have him do it and then you check it. Get in this habit now or you will be the one doing all his work for years to come. Each phase is a stepping stone for the bigger picture.

One of my children is in a Mandarin immersion program and one of the positives is I can't help. My child has been in it for 5 years now, they've found a way to complete it correctly without help. I do help in the traditional work when needed, but it's more of you don't understand let's Google to find some examples and then we will do a couple together and then do some on your own.

My other child is in the first year of middle school. We are only 4 weeks in but they are handling the responsibility of homework and knowing what's due when and having it complete by due date beautifully. I couldn't be more proud. I am dialed into all the apps, so I see what needs to be complete and I see grades, but I'm the second line of defense not the first.

Old Yesterday, 11:25 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,153,469 times
Quote:
If you already feel like this after 3 weeks of kindergarten homework, you are in for a rough road.

Old Yesterday, 11:30 AM

886 posts, read 311,724 times
My kindy kid has more homework than my 8th grader. I don't really get it unless it's to establish good study habits. He has a half a page of writing (like, the same number and same letter multiple times) and then 10-15 min. of reading.

I'm really more curious about why my 8th grader doesn't have more homework!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or