U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2019, 02:02 PM

210 posts, read 68,672 times

Advertisements

It is NOT difficult (based on my experience) to have your child proficient in their knowledge of shapes, colors, basic numbers, alphabet...etc. by the time they enter kindergarten. If done properly it will NOT stifle or discourage the desire to learn and the child will have NO IDEA they are developing a basic skill set to later build on. Physical developmental skills/coordination like hopping, skipping, etc. may require more time.

We had many books in the home, wooden puzzles of colors and shapes, colored building blocks, tinker toys, etc. Money was supplied (under adult supervision) and our kids were allowed to make small purchases.

All of this instruction was passive. It doesn't require much time by a parent and the prep work does pay off.

Scientific research has shown it's quality of curriculum..not classroom size that impacts student learning. It's the same with your child and how knowledge is imparted in the home and with what. JMHO

Note - We did not have video games in the home. I feel it's counterproductive at a early age and can say it had NO negative impact on our kids and the advanced computer skills they now have.

Last edited by CentralUSHomeowner; 09-19-2019 at 02:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2019, 06:01 PM

2,854 posts, read 785,614 times
Does the Chinese educational system assign homework in Kindergarten? That's the competition, after all.

We raised our daughter, now an adult, in a competitive school system in Silicon Valley with a very large Chinese population. Typically, both Mom & Dad were born & educated in China, and came to the USA for graduate school. Armed with PhDs in technical disciplines (e.g., Chemical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Solid State Physics, Software Engineering, etc etc), they stayed in Silicon Valley to seek their fortunes. Mom typically worked part time - if that - while raising the children.

I mention the above to describe what these mothers did at the elementary school. They came to the elementary school for recess, and took their children into the library for drill-and-kill. Their children were not allowed to play on the blacktop. They complained to the Principal that there was not enough homework. They took their children after school to Kumon or equivalent private math & reading tutors.

Read https://www.amazon.com/Battle-Hymn-T...581/ref=sr_1_1 . That's your competition.

Last edited by RationalExpectations; 09-19-2019 at 06:10 PM..

Old 09-19-2019, 06:23 PM

12,921 posts, read 10,240,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
He’s there from 8am to 2pm. He actually likes homework at the moment. I think it makes him feel important that he has something to do.
If he really wants to do it, then let nature take its course. He may get tired of it at some point and need a break. I'm sure a lot of kids in the class aren't ready for it, and they can't fail the whole class, can they?

It won't be long before he probably picks a "favorite subject" to prioritize, and puts less effort into some of the other stuff. That's perfectly fine too. I am definitely in the "John Holt" camp that thinks children learn best when they are allowed to judge for themselves what they are ready for and what they are not.

Most of all, never quash a genuine interest in a particular subject. Having a passion is necessary to stay motivated in life, whether you are 5 or 45.

Old 09-19-2019, 06:26 PM

469 posts, read 165,191 times
Chinese children who are overworked to the point of exhaustion and suicide are not my sons competition

Old 09-19-2019, 06:37 PM

451 posts, read 105,024 times
With all due respect I’m not an Asian mother and I don’t feel the need to complete with them. Since 2005 I’ve been employed by either Harvard or MIT in higher education departments and I have a masters so it’s not like I’m an uneducated slacker who doesn’t care about my kids education. I figured someone would want to throw me in that category because I complained about homework in kindergarten. I just don’t see it as necessary. They are in school from 8 to 2, 5 days a week, they are 5 years old. There’s just no need for the school to be assigning more work outside of this. So far he hasn’t complained about it but it’s only the 3rd week of school.

Old 09-19-2019, 10:04 PM

79,876 posts, read 72,563,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Things are getting more intense.

Back when we all were in school, it wasn't a given that everybody went to college. So now that a college degree is the new high school diploma, education is different, and kindergartners have to do a worksheet for homework.

The part in bold ^^^ is the one thing that you need to work on. Being a parent definitely doesn't ease up as they get older. Certain things fall by the wayside, but I constantly had to combat my inner lazy streak.

Follow his lead and encourage that excitement. He'll develop that bad homework attitude soon enough.
This is a great idea! Foster a love of learning!

Old 09-20-2019, 12:42 AM

16,259 posts, read 18,239,356 times
Homework in the elementary grades is really not necessary or helpful.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/eleme...b03a166e940fc7

Quote:
In truth, data indicates that homework for the youngest students in the elementary grades has, at best, has no bearing on achievement. And the studies that do suggest homework has positive effects can only prove correlation, not causation. That’s because it’s incredibly difficult to control for all of the other variables that can lead to better academic outcomes, including factors like teacher quality, parental involvement, amount of sleep a child receives, proper nutrition, and — here comes the big one — socio-economic status. And, yes, there is research that suggests homework can have negative effects.

“There’s a lot of evidence that it’s putting too much stress on families,” Vatterott explains. “And that it’s contributing to whether kids like school or not. We certainly don’t want kids to hate school.”

Old 09-20-2019, 04:55 AM

6,254 posts, read 3,232,820 times
Quote:
Does anyone think kindergarten is a bit early for teachers to be assigning homework? My son is in his 3rd week and he has homework. Is it not enough for a 5 year to go to school everyday, do work and activities there and come home to do more at night?

I enjoy reading books to my kids at night at their ages. I am a little annoyed that there are already homework assignments to attend to. He just came out of my belly 5 years ago and here we are already hitting the books! 😭
Usually homework is 10% or so of the grade. My kid isnít spending hours and hours everyday of his childhood doing homework. If he get any a B so be it.

Thereís a lot more to learn in life than from the communist mills

Old 09-20-2019, 05:49 AM

13,470 posts, read 10,316,434 times
Quote:
Does anyone think kindergarten is a bit early for teachers to be assigning homework? My son is in his 3rd week and he has homework. Is it not enough for a 5 year to go to school everyday, do work and activities there and come home to do more at night?

I enjoy reading books to my kids at night at their ages. I am a little annoyed that there are already homework assignments to attend to. He just came out of my belly 5 years ago and here we are already hitting the books! 😭
Homework in kindergarten is a Very Bad Thing in my opinion. Heck, I am not a fan of assigned homework for middle schooler.s

Old 10-07-2019, 11:14 AM

31,885 posts, read 14,279,217 times
My grandson is in the 2nd grade, he goes to a fundamental school where homework is required even in Kindergarten, he spends about 30 minutes a night on homework, more if there is a project that he also needs to work on. He doesn't seem to mind, the minute he gets home he starts on his homework, no one has to remind him about it, it's become a normal part of his day. I'm not convinced that homework is beneficial in lower grades but it sure has taught him self discipline
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or