U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 03:09 AM

18,131 posts, read 4,378,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
Does anyone think kindergarten is a bit early for teachers to be assigning homework? My son is in his 3rd week and he has homework. Is it not enough for a 5 year to go to school everyday, do work and activities there and come home to do more at night?

I enjoy reading books to my kids at night at their ages. I am a little annoyed that there are already homework assignments to attend to. He just came out of my belly 5 years ago and here we are already hitting the books! 😭
i think kindergarten is too young for hw.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 06:25 PM

12,349 posts, read 18,280,723 times
My daughter started kindergarten this year. 745 am to 245 pm.
They have math and writing/reading everyday. Plus sight words and 20 minute reading.
It's a lot.

Old Yesterday, 06:30 PM

12,349 posts, read 18,280,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus2 View Post
My kindy kid has more homework than my 8th grader. I don't really get it unless it's to establish good study habits. He has a half a page of writing (like, the same number and same letter multiple times) and then 10-15 min. of reading.

I'm really more curious about why my 8th grader doesn't have more homework!!
That's exactly what I was talking about with my husband the other day. My daughter has hw every day.My 8t grader comes home with nothing many times.
Me: "what did you do in school today" ..
My son: " gardening!
Me thinking : WTF!

Its funny how we both have a kid in K and in8th grade. My son was struggling a lot in school. ADHD, immature, no good friends. Now in 8th grade he finally starting to come around. And of course we get an email from his teacher about inappropriate behavior regarding my daughter hugging everybody she sees. Where does the madness end.

Last edited by glass_of_merlot; Yesterday at 06:43 PM..

Old Yesterday, 11:37 PM

1,739 posts, read 1,547,236 times
I think what used to be Kindergarten is now being done in Preschool. I do not support homework for Kindergarten. The teacher can let us know what is going on in the class without homework.

I have a 3 almost 4 year old and I am debating what to do with him for school. I have older kids and I know how much effort a college prep school is going to take. I don't want that effort to be in full swing at age 5.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or