U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 02:19 PM

5,372 posts, read 2,460,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Coschristi, wow! Informative post. !
My grandson has that skill . I had wondered if he had a condition that created that talent. He is extremely introvert yet impressively intelligent. His social awkwardness just seemed his 'normal' . And it is his way ...he retains so much of what he reads. It's almost super powers.

But to answer this topic...yes . Read . Speak..use inflections. Animate...exagerate. get them to love the skill of reading!!!
I bet he's hyperlexic!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 02:29 PM

1,919 posts, read 856,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADAM Ebraham View Post
What do you think of your experiences

Is reading really useful for children under 5?

Hell, yes. Children should start reading and writing at 3.

Old Yesterday, 02:53 PM

343 posts, read 66,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
Totally agree on reading by 3 (I started to read even a little earlier), but writing is much harder - fine motor skill is not easy to develop. I had problems with calligraphy up to ~5 y.o. It was very hard to get letters and numbers to be same size and shape

Old Yesterday, 03:21 PM

7,012 posts, read 4,351,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
Many children are not developmentally ready to read and write at 3. Pressuring them to do so can create all kinds of problems, such as convincing them that they hate reading and writing, or that they are failures. Plus, there is no correlation between very early reading and eventually becoming a fluent, competent reader, or doing well in school, or anything, really.

I would only try to teach a 3-year-old who is truly eager to learn and showing clear signs of readiness (e.g. attempting to copy letters or words, asking how to write their name, pointing to words and asking what the letters are, etc.) Otherwise, just read to them, let them run around and play, and answer their questions about whatever they are interested in.

Old Yesterday, 05:37 PM

9,845 posts, read 5,941,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Many children are not developmentally ready to read and write at 3. Pressuring them to do so can create all kinds of problems, such as convincing them that they hate reading and writing, or that they are failures. Plus, there is no correlation between very early reading and eventually becoming a fluent, competent reader, or doing well in school, or anything, really.

I would only try to teach a 3-year-old who is truly eager to learn and showing clear signs of readiness (e.g. attempting to copy letters or words, asking how to write their name, pointing to words and asking what the letters are, etc.) Otherwise, just read to them, let them run around and play, and answer their questions about whatever they are interested in.

Totally agree with all of this. Most kids are not developmentally ready to read on their own at 3. There’s a wide range of what’s considered normal in terms of kids being ready to read.

Old Yesterday, 06:14 PM

11,105 posts, read 4,511,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
That's awesome! Typically, hyperlexia plateaus during late adolescence but mine did not & obviously; it didn't for you either!
I'm pretty sure that was a joke. Saying War and Peace was "something about Russia" I think?

Old Yesterday, 06:16 PM

11,105 posts, read 4,511,706 times
Reading stories to children is so very important. Gives them a context to tell a narrative. Not A is for Apple, etc., but a STORY, like Little Red Riding Hood or The Wizard of Oz. Of course, even reading A is for Apple doesn't hurt, and develops a relationship between the child and the caregiver.

Old Yesterday, 06:22 PM

2,584 posts, read 934,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Reading stories to children is so very important. Gives them a context to tell a narrative. Not A is for Apple, etc., but a STORY, like Little Red Riding Hood or The Wizard of Oz. Of course, even reading A is for Apple doesn't hurt, and develops a relationship between the child and the caregiver.
My oldest granddaughter let me know right away she didn't like the A is for Apple and the counting books. Okay, cool- plenty of other fun books! She's picked up those skills since then, but after that I focused on stories.

Old Yesterday, 06:31 PM

22,835 posts, read 14,945,483 times
I presume you mean, reading to very young children. The answer is yes. While you are reading to a child you are turning pages. The child senses this movement through the book, left to right. Later as you point out some words, she understands that reading involves left to right eye movement, which helps when she begins to learn to read.

Also, she will begin to pick up certain words on a page, especially when you read the same book repeatedly. She might memorize the words, and then figure out they represent spoken words.

All of this is termed Reading Readiness.

Also, teaching kids simple poems and songs helps them master language.

Young children love repetition. They will usually choose favorite books to be read again and again. This alone tells you that kids enjoy the stories, and get something out of being read to. My granddaughter has loved Dragons Love Tacos. I must have read it to her 100 times.

Old Yesterday, 06:50 PM

6,516 posts, read 3,719,685 times
I've been waiting for someone to talk about learning the rhythm of speech. Ever hear the reader who reads. one. word. at. a. time in a monotone? You can hardly understand what he's saying. Do you even care?

As Nov3 said, it's important to teach a child how colorful and interesting our language can sound. It will make him a better public speaker and conversant.

I started talking to my children from day one and also reading to them. My daughter was speaking in simple whole sentences by the time she was one. (Throwing in a forgivable brag, there.) The other one scarcely has said a word since then with a mom and sis who never shut up, poor guy.

No children now but I talk to new kittens and it's amazing how large an understanding vocabulary the cat will have if you are regular in using consistent speech with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or