U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2019, 08:11 PM

2,731 posts, read 2,116,755 times

Advertisements

Yes! I think it would be a disservice to the child who has been rarely read to before starting school. Some parents/caregivers may say the kid isnít interested in books. Sometimes, it takes time. Just start reading a book n the kid will most likely eventually come sit with you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2019, 01:52 PM

427 posts, read 97,663 times
I recall asking on here how old people were when they learned to read. I was amazed by the amount of people who were 2 or 3. Bunch of geniuses just hangin out on citydatas parenting forum.

Old 09-27-2019, 05:20 PM

16,700 posts, read 6,613,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CentralUSHomeowner View Post
What a garbage comment.

We have 3 with an IQ that puts them in the 99th percentile. They were tested by the local university....not the public school system. I could break it down further where they were within the 99th percentile, but that isn't relevant.
I have a 79 IQ and yet became a pretty good reader.

Old 10-01-2019, 01:12 PM

17 posts, read 2,589 times
If you choose the right books, then you can instill a love of reading from childhood.

Old 10-01-2019, 05:37 PM

1 posts, read 26 times
Default yes

Hello! As a preschool teacher of 7 years, my short answer is YES. Children need to be exposed to reading and books (read to, pretending to read you a story based on the pictures...), in order to develop emergent literacy skills. They acquire skills from these experiences that they need prior to learning to read. If anyone is interested in an amazing product that I refer many parents to, here is a link to check it out.

[url]https://1df1agpmnjdz9tbmgwngvannco.hop.clickbank.net/[/url]

Old 10-01-2019, 06:37 PM

16,700 posts, read 6,613,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendo77 View Post
Hello! As a preschool teacher of 7 years, my short answer is YES. Children need to be exposed to reading and books (read to, pretending to read you a story based on the pictures...), in order to develop emergent literacy skills. They acquire skills from these experiences that they need prior to learning to read. If anyone is interested in an amazing product that I refer many parents to, here is a link to check it out.
Welcome aboard and I hope this is the first of many posts. Even though I am almost illiterate and have an IQ of 79 I agree. You should probably remove that dead link though; its site has been disabled.

Old Today, 06:49 AM

43,853 posts, read 53,515,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
I recall asking on here how old people were when they learned to read. I was amazed by the amount of people who were 2 or 3. Bunch of geniuses just hangin out on citydatas parenting forum.
You don't have to be a genius to read at 3.

I'm not a genius.
My boy is not a genius.
My daughter might be...but she read at 4.

You just need someone there teaching you.

Old Today, 08:04 PM

3 posts, read 171 times
Adam

Never underestimate the mind of a child. Of course, reading to a child under the age of 5 is very important. Plant the seed. When I was pregnant with my daughter, I read, sang, and spoke to her while I carried in my womb.

Never stop teaching her, no matter her age. She's listening and taking in more than realize. As long as we have breath, we will never stop learning. Your daughter is no exception to the rule.

Do not deprive her of something so important. By reading to her at such a young age, exposes to another beautiful world.

I am a children's author, and it always amazes me and puts a smile on my face to see the reaction of children when they hear my stories. Checkot my book "Hey Look At Me!" by Desree Crooks at Nzuri Books. I would love to hear your feedback.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or