U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 03:08 AM

17 posts, read 847 times

Advertisements

What do you think of your experiences

Is reading really useful for children under 5?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 04:35 AM

10,886 posts, read 14,623,713 times
Reading with? Reading to? Trying to teach a child to read?

Old Yesterday, 08:37 AM

57,534 posts, read 55,737,003 times
Being read TO is very important.

I remember reading that kindergarten teachers can tell which children have been read to and which haven't.

Old Yesterday, 10:35 AM

23,161 posts, read 29,582,055 times
I would say so. Reading develops imagination. Reading is entertaining and little kids require a lot of entertainment. Early reading organizes the brain to function with math (as does music)

Most children learn reading just as easily as verbal skills when they are very young. A three year old can learn several foreign languages easily and reading is just another foreign language. They can pick it up quickly and easily.

Old Yesterday, 02:51 PM

366 posts, read 81,254 times
Yes. They say reading to babies is important.

Old Yesterday, 03:10 PM

4,946 posts, read 4,203,479 times
Reading is extremely important ...being read to, seeing others read for entertainment, & learning to read are all essential parts of "Reading". Also being read to helps a child develop good listening skills.

Old Yesterday, 04:06 PM

7,004 posts, read 4,347,320 times
Yes, it's important, but what's important is reading to the child, not trying to teach the child to read. You need to get the words in before trying to get the words out. I'm a firm believer in reading out loud to children as early as possible and up to 1 or 1.5 hours per day, and not always short picture books that are over in a few minutes. By age 5 a child should be listening day by day to longer chapter books like "Little House in the Big Woods" and "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe."

When it comes to actually reading, for preschoolers you should follow their lead. There is NO long-term advantage to being able to read at 2, 3, or 4, and you can do more harm than good by forcing reading skills on such small children. On the other hand, if the child shows early interest, then by all means teach them letters, sounds, and words, but I wouldn't do anything formal at that age.

I taught all three of my children to read (we homeschooled for the early years) but I did not start with any of them until 4.5, and with my second daughter, she was closer to 6. But they were all listening to long books read out loud (by me, my husband or on tape) long before that, and once we started reading lessons, they were able to read almost anything within a short time.

Old Yesterday, 04:51 PM

8,772 posts, read 9,849,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADAM Ebraham View Post
What do you think of your experiences

Is reading really useful for children under 5?

Absolutely! A child who can read and comprehend will do better in school. My dad taught me to read when I was four. In self defense I think since I was always after him to 'read me a story'. And, bless him, he taught me phonics, not sight reading. By the time I started school I had an impressive library of kids books. Probably every Golden Book printed up to that time plus a lot more. He taught me how to use the dictionary in 2nd grade. By 4th grade he was asking me how to spell words...probably testing me. The only reason I was allowed to start first grade was because I could read. Because of my birthday I would've had to wait another year. No. *I* was ready and raring to go. lol

I read to my kids all the time. My youngest impressed people being able to 'read' at age 3 but she couldn't, really. I had just read that book to her so many times she had it memorized. lol All my kids are still big time readers and so are their kids and grandkids. It's a great thing.

Old Yesterday, 05:01 PM

4,295 posts, read 1,729,012 times
"Is reading really useful for children under 5?"
yes.
they fall asleep faster.

Old Yesterday, 06:44 PM

3,485 posts, read 1,459,853 times
I was read to by every relative I had, all through my pre-school years. I had them read me The Wizard of Oz so many times I had half of it memorized. My grandmother read with her finger following the text along and the older I got, the more attention I paid to that.

Anyway, after first grade I decided it was time I read to myself and the first book was - can you guess? After that, I've just never stopped reading. I'm never without a book, I can read upside down or backwards through a glass door, I love reading. Good thing, since I'm now losing some hearing and have the closed captioning on all the time.

I also had good reading comprehension and never feared taking tests. I feel sorry for some people who struggle along while reading is like breathing to me. It's probably helped me with every application I've ever had to fill out, a better than average vocabulary (I sound smart!), as well as how helpful it is to have a good command of language when talking to anyone in authority. If I have one thing I'm thankful for from my not very good childhood, it is that people read to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or