U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2019, 08:24 AM

2,771 posts, read 9,671,224 times

Advertisements

If you leave your reg in your car and it is broken into, a thief gains access to your personal info. If you have a garage door opener and it's taken you can have even more problems. The Natl Ins Crime Bureau suggests taking a pic and store in on your phone. Another idea is to make a copy and white out your address and keep that in your car.

Old 09-28-2019, 10:26 AM

6,151 posts, read 5,069,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blistex649 View Post
There's definitely states that ask for registration. Not sure which ones.

In any case, next time, leave the insurance and ownership in a clear ziplock bag and keep it in the glove compartment. Whenever a cop pulls you over, literally grab it and have it read. Cops actually like it when you do that.

Now, in the US, the level of paranoia for cops is off the charts. No different than the TSA basically treating a 5 year old like a terrorist when they do their search.
No, they don't like that! It's a good way to get a gun pulled on you and ordered out of the car. Police, very rightly ,worry that someone rummaging around in the glove box could be getting a weapon. They appreciate it if you roll down your window and keep your hands on the wheel until you're told to do otherwise.

Old 09-28-2019, 10:42 AM

1,180 posts, read 322,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
No, they don't like that! It's a good way to get a gun pulled on you and ordered out of the car. Police, very rightly ,worry that someone rummaging around in the glove box could be getting a weapon. They appreciate it if you roll down your window and keep your hands on the wheel until you're told to do otherwise.
This. During any car stop, the Police must assume worst case scenario for their own safety. That is why "keep your hands on the wheel" is delivered in an authoritative voice.

Old 09-28-2019, 10:49 AM

10,904 posts, read 14,660,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
No, sorry, but it's not excessive. While it would probably be the first thing most females do, grab their purse for their ID, he couldn't be sure why she grabbed her purse. She learned a valuable lesson. It's also made me think about my own future actions should I be pulled over--wait to get my ID until asked and then explain what I'm doing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
They appreciate it if you roll down your window and keep your hands on the wheel until you're told to do otherwise.
I learned this a few years ago when I got pulled over for speeding at night. I actually knew the cop as he was a regular customer where I work. For some reason I thought it would be a good idea to get out and stand beside my car. He let me know real quick like (and somewhat forcefully) that was NOT a good idea, to just sit there with my window down and hands on the wheel. I'm pretty sure this was never addressed way back when I took drivers ed, before shooting cops turned into the huge problem it seems to be now.

Old 09-28-2019, 10:52 AM

23,218 posts, read 29,694,259 times
I ought to yell at you for not teaching your daughter how to behave in a traffic stop, but apparently, you don't know yourself. Tell your daughter she is doing well to be yelled at and not shot.

Put your car in park, roll down your window, and place both hands on the steering wheel where they are easily seen. Wait until the officer gets to the window and asks to see your license and registration. If it is in your purse or glove box, tell the officer that you are going to get it and where it is.

Stay calm and do not make fast movements. Be polite and cooperative.

Traffic stops are the second most likely place for a police officer to be murdered, so police are very cautious during traffic stops. (first most dangerous is the domestic violence call).

When you are stopped, you have no idea what has happened to the officer earlier in the day. He might be edgier than normal. Don't do anything that could be misconstrued as threatening. Just because you are safe and law abiding does not mean that every traffic stop is a safe one. Officers must be cautious.

Old 09-28-2019, 10:55 AM

23,218 posts, read 29,694,259 times
While you are at it, explain what those speeding tickets are going to do to her insurance costs. My suggestion is that she stop speeding.

If she doesn't speed, doesn't run through stop signs, and checks her taillights frequently to make sure a bulb hasn't burned out, she might be able to go through the rest of her life without ever being stopped again.

Old 09-28-2019, 10:59 AM

4,409 posts, read 1,775,859 times
"...but is it excessive for him to yell at her just for looking for her license in her purse?"
no.
established protocol.

Old 09-28-2019, 11:10 AM

938 posts, read 365,062 times
Heck no. Not excessive. She should be crying and upset - she was breaking the law and got caught, and now has a ticket to pay (and maybe increase in insurance?). She should remember, and you can remind her, of the consequences of speeding and not to take driving so casually. If you are saying "poor baby, he shouldn't have yelled at you!" as your main reaction to this experience, you have missed a valuable teaching opportunity.

Old 09-28-2019, 11:28 AM

117 posts, read 135,721 times
Not excessive. You should have taught her how to interact with police properly when you taught her to drive. When officers get tense they yell and try and control the situation using a certain voice. It's how they are taught. Simply sit in the car with the window down, lights on and hands on the steering wheel until directed otherwise. As for her crying it's not that bad. She knew she did something wrong and felt bad about it. Pretty normal for a healthy person.

Old 09-28-2019, 11:41 AM

17,667 posts, read 17,936,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reebo View Post
No, not excessive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
No. She could have been reaching for a gun.
I agree with the other posters. No, the police officers actions were not excessive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or