U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2019, 11:51 PM

287 posts, read 160,193 times

Advertisements

I'm surprised at all the people stating that a young female in the car alone should wait *with the window open.* I'm not an alarmist by any means, but basic common sense says that you don't roll down the window until you verify who it is that has stopped you.

Old 09-29-2019, 05:47 AM

1,180 posts, read 322,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msgenerse View Post
I understand what you're all saying, but she's a real innocent looking girl and really, how many women have pulled a gun from their purse just to shoot a cop? He didn't need to yell.

You stated it was "very authoritarian tone" which is appropriate for the situation. He was following protocol and that should be applied uniformly to everyone. I think you may be missing the larger point for a teachable moment. I don't know how old your daughter is but she would be better served by you preparing her to develop a harder shell for when she is in the outside world.

Coaches, bosses, etc. are not known for speaking in a polite tones.

One mom told me when her daughter was complaining about how her high school coach spoke to her in a harsh tone, she told her, "your coach doesn't care about your feelings, your coach only cares about winning." The mother gave her daughter a reality check and she accepted that explanation.

Last edited by Maddie104; 09-29-2019 at 06:10 AM..

Old 09-29-2019, 05:59 AM

5,915 posts, read 4,330,916 times
Cops have no idea if the person they have pulled over has a gun. People can appear to be very nice and respectable, when in reality, they are hardened criminals who will shoot a cop without hesitation. Cops know this, and can't tell the difference just going on looks or a pleasant attitude.

They are just protecting themselves.

Although it scared her, your daughter learned a valuable lesson that she most likely won't repeat... do ONLY what the cop says, nothing more, nothing less.

Old 09-29-2019, 06:49 AM

874 posts, read 1,467,557 times
Quote:
I understand what you're all saying, but she's a real innocent looking girl and really, how many women have pulled a gun from their purse just to shoot a cop? He didn't need to yell.
Should cops start profiling people they pull over then? If this is the daughter you suspect has autism, then I'm guessing she took an authoritative tone as someone yelling at them. If she was digging around in a bag while he's standing there, then I would expect him to yell. If she continues to dig around in the bag, I would expect him to pull out his weapon and continue to yell commands.

I have my license out, window rolled down, overhead light on if needed, and hands resting on top of the steering wheel before the cop typically even gets out of the car, for the one time every 5 years I seem to get pulled over. Insurance is on my phone, so I show him when he asks now, which is better than digging around the glove compartment looking for it. Never heard of asking for registration, except in old t.v. shows. It's typically on the car as some kind of sticker.

Old 09-29-2019, 06:58 AM

11,208 posts, read 4,564,087 times
Quote:
OP, are you communicating at all to her that you're not happy she got a speeding ticket? As in, well, there go your driving privileges for a month, and you're going to have to pay for Defensive Driving?

If this encounter with a brusk authority figure has really undone your daughter, this is a lesson she needed to have before she ventures out away from home.

It just seems like you aren't concerned at all that she broke the law, and you believe she should be treated tenderly by everyone she encounters, and that's just not reality, and that belief won't serve her well.

Last edited by ClaraC; 09-29-2019 at 07:29 AM..

Old 09-29-2019, 07:09 AM

23,218 posts, read 29,694,259 times
Quote:

Your protective parental outrage that anyone had the nerve to not see your daughter as the perfect creature that you see is not doing anything to help your daughter. You are fiercely backing her position that she was wronged, when in reality, she was in the wrong and needs to learn how to behave better.

Yes, women can own and shoot guns. Lots of women own and use guns. Adorable looking little girls can have outstanding warrants. They can have drugs in the car, They can have outlaw boyfriends hidden in the back seat. They can be drunk, stoned, or crazy.

And your little darling was not innocent. She was breaking the law, and not an obscure law that she might not be aware of. Everyone who has a driving license knows about speed limits and she was knowingly and deliberately breaking the law. So why on earth would a police officer assume that she was innocent?

Your fault. Tech her to behave better. You've failed in your parental duties to keep your child safe.

Old 09-29-2019, 07:17 AM

13,630 posts, read 18,184,951 times
Quote:
Your daughter got pulled over for speeding, rummaged in her purse and got the water falls going but the mean cop was not impressed and gave her a ticket any way. Innocent looking? Stop at the local police station and look at booking photos.
Time to teach her basic traffic regulations and how to respond when being pulled over. Isn't this part of driver's ed and in all the DMV booklets?
You did not hear here what you expected. What you posted is your daughter's version of the incident. There are generally three sides to a story - his, hers and the truth. She had to tell you about the ticket so she used "hers" and you bought it.

If this is the daughter you posted about previously she is a grown woman in her 30s not a girl.

Old 09-29-2019, 07:32 AM

30,804 posts, read 17,069,291 times
I've been pulled over for speeding and never once was asked to put my hands on the steering wheel AFTER being asked to produce my license;registration, etc. Or before for that matter.

Old 09-29-2019, 09:16 AM

4,171 posts, read 2,892,080 times
Quote:
OMG, really? You raised a snowflake, I'm sorry, this is the real world. Hands where they can see them as they're walking up. She should've been taught this!

Respect the police and the dangerous work they do!

Old 09-29-2019, 09:19 AM

4,171 posts, read 2,892,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaAma View Post
I'm surprised at all the people stating that a young female in the car alone should wait *with the window open.* I'm not an alarmist by any means, but basic common sense says that you don't roll down the window until you verify who it is that has stopped you.
Common sense says that if you're speeding and the blue lights come on behind you, you are getting a ticket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or