U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2019, 09:30 AM

21,740 posts, read 17,216,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msgenerse View Post
Yesterday around 3:00 PM my daughter got pulled over for speeding, she knows to show license and registration and after she got pulled over as the cop was walking up my daughter was going through her purse to get her license, but while she was doing it the cop yelled "Hey! Put your hands on the wheel!" she was very startled and did but got upset and started crying and the officer explained to get her license and registration which she did, but she said the officer wasn't nice and had a very authoritarian tone.

He came back and gave her a ticket and told her to slow down and left and she came home in tears. I understand speeding is a crime, I am not disputing that, but is it excessive for him to yell at her just for looking for her license in her purse?
I find this just to be the way cops are now. They have become more military and less community service through the decades. I feel intimidated even asking a question to a cop because often the response is not friendly but often snarky.

Your daughter could get shot today not having her hands where the cop can see them today. For all they know sheís looking for her gun. Traffic stops are actually a common way cops get shot. He yelled at her to drive it home.

Old 09-29-2019, 09:51 AM

4,171 posts, read 2,892,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I find this just to be the way cops are now. They have become more military and less community service through the decades. I feel intimidated even asking a question to a cop because often the response is not friendly but often snarky.
I have not noticed any changes in nearly 50 years of driving, the right thing to do is always show your hands, for everyone's safety. And our local police are wonderful and very involved in all aspects of our community. My friend holds law enforcement breakfasts to honor them at her restaurant a few times a year.

And this thread reminded me of the brave officer that pulled over the nice looking young man who was speeding. He did have a loaded gun in the car and had planned on murdering one of our family members after a break up. Thank God he was out of his mind and confessed his plans to the officer, along with a few other insane comments. The officer got the gun and took him right to the hospital to be placed in the psych ward.

They never know.

Old 09-29-2019, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
I have not noticed any changes in nearly 50 years of driving, the right thing to do is always show your hands, for everyone's safety. And our local police are wonderful and very involved in all aspects of our community. My friend holds law enforcement breakfasts to honor them at her restaurant a few times a year.

And this thread reminded me of the brave officer that pulled over the nice looking young man who was speeding. He did have a loaded gun in the car and had planned on murdering one of our family members after a break up. Thank God he was out of his mind and confessed his plans to the officer, along with a few other insane comments. The officer got the gun and took him right to the hospital to be placed in the psych ward.

They never know.
Yes, I agree about driving. But thatís not where Iíve seen the changes. Itís in more casual interactions. Asking about a detour, or even asking where a certain office is in the municipal building. Itís just a different attitude. I canít explain it well I know.

Old 09-29-2019, 12:58 PM

2,076 posts, read 1,338,880 times
Gosh, I started driving some 25 years ago (yikes), and was taught then to keep your hands on the wheel until the officer told me to get my documents. It's just considerate safety practices.

As a parent, I can't imagine teaching my kid that since they are so sweet and innocent looking, they get to not follow the rules. Yikes.

Old 09-29-2019, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post
Gosh, I started driving some 25 years ago (yikes), and was taught then to keep your hands on the wheel until the officer told me to get my documents. It's just considerate safety practices.

As a parent, I can't imagine teaching my kid that since they are so sweet and innocent looking, they get to not follow the rules. Yikes.
I wouldnít assume they taught her that. Iíve done that too....back in the day, it really didnít have to be taught because a cop shooting you during a traffic stop was really unheard of. I would imagine itís taught in poor communities but I donít think itís something most white middle class or higher people give a lot of thought to.

In any case, to a new driver it is scary to see the light behind you. Youíre nervous and not thinking clearly.

I just find it ridiculous to assume every error in judgement shown by a young person is a reflection of poor parenting. I think itís very unfair. All kids make mistakes, itís part of learning to be an adult.

Old 09-29-2019, 01:10 PM

44,726 posts, read 43,220,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I just find it ridiculous to assume every error in judgement shown by a young person is a reflection of poor parenting. I think it’s very unfair. All kids make mistakes, it’s part of learning to be an adult.
Her daughter is 35.

Very upset with daughter.

Old 09-29-2019, 01:17 PM

1,274 posts, read 852,218 times
My daughter got pulled over in her first year of college and complained how mean the officer was, my husbands and my opinion was good maybe she will slow down in the future.

A officer in Houston was killed after pulling someone over and yes they have to be stern.

Old 09-29-2019, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Her daughter is 35.

Oh. She might have been nervous anyway! I still get nervous and Iím 57. I learned a lesson in my 20ís though. One time I got pulled over and took my seat belt off to get my stuff from the glove box, and got a ticket for not having a seat belt on.

So a year later I get pulled over and started to do the exact same thing...then recalling what happened I was putting my belt back on while cop was walking up...and get ďWhat did you just put down the seat?Ē I tried to explain the story, but he made me get out, looked in my trunk and my purse. Wasnít allowed to search car but was so convinced I hid drugs down the seat he gave me a ticket that said I was going twice as fast as I was. When I said that he said ďSo go to courtĒ and left. It changed how I looked at police after that. And now I act like Iím at a foreign country checkpoint, and just sit still and wait for orders.

Old 09-29-2019, 01:28 PM

15,272 posts, read 13,684,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Her daughter is 35.

Good grief.....I assumed her daughter was a teenager.

Old 09-29-2019, 01:29 PM

44,726 posts, read 43,220,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Good grief.....I assumed her daughter was a teenager.
Yep. There's just a lot going on in this family regardless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or