U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 06:19 PM

418 posts, read 94,375 times

Advertisements

Itís scary to be a cop these days. Maybe he truly was nervous when she reached into her purse. Seems like cops get shot everyday somewhere. So no not excessive. Driving is a privilege not a right. Iím sure Iíd feel bad for my daughter if she were spoken to harshly by a cop but I still get his side of things. They want to go home to their families too.

Old Yesterday, 06:44 PM

4,604 posts, read 3,425,679 times
I actually do think that the current antagonistic relationship between cops and the general public, as illustrated by an officer getting aggressive at a routine stop, is excessive. People always cite how dangerous policing is as the reason police have to be proactively aggressive, but the bad relationship between police and public is part of WHY policing is more dangerous these days. It's time to take a more community policing approach and remember that police are here to protect and to serve all of the public. I really appreciate how consistently polite and patient the Alaska State Troopers in my region tend to be, even in tense situations. I think it can help de-escalate potentially fraught situations, in addition to just making life more agreeable.

That said, all this officer really did was raise his voice at her and take a brusque tone. He didn't even say anything inappropriate, let alone do anything inappropriate. So do I think he did anything wrong, in context? No. If anything, his response was lower-key than current training and the current level of paranoia would often prompt.

Old Yesterday, 06:57 PM

Police aren’t there to coddle people, they’re there to enforce the law. Why do some Americans thinks it’s their job to be nice and polite about it? They are there to protect people so when they pull someone over for speeding they’re protecting other Americans from this speeder. It’s not their job to coddle the speeder, the speeder is getting fined.

I don’t understand when Americans became so entitled where they think the police need to kiss everyone’s ass. No one should be beaten or called names and I realize there have been situations where some bad cops have done that. But that doesn’t mean all cops should now be expected to be mr nice guy to every person they encounter who is breaking the law.

I have been pulled over numerous times and I’m a 41 yr old white woman. I’ve never had a cop be mean but they weren’t smiling or saying have a great day ma’am, I hope you enjoyed your experience today!

People should take police interactions for what they are. Interactions. Some cops are nicer than others. I’ve also asked cops for directions and they were friendly enough. Cops are judged very unfairly these days and they’re damned if they do and and damned if they don’t.

Old Yesterday, 07:07 PM

1,269 posts, read 358,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
Please consider that her sensitive idea of yelling maybe different than an officer's version. Using a stern, commanding voice is not yelling. Honestly it doesn't matter how many women pull guns from their purses and shoot a police officer. They are trained to tell people to put their hands on the wheel because this is a potentially dangerous minute for them. He was doing his job.
And some people use the terminology of being "yelled at" no matter the tone used; if they're being admonished, they describe it as being "yelled at" even if they don't mean that literally. For some people it is a turn of speech; I've heard it described that way and used it that way myself (usually in a context where the other person is aware there wasn't actually any yelling involved).

And, some people have a hard time handling any admonishment, no matter how gently it's delivered; and some take it very personally no matter what it is.

I'm imagining the conversation between me and my mom if this happened to me:

Me: "Mom, the cop yelled at me!"
Mom: "Why?"
Me: "When he came to the window I was rummaging in my purse!"
Mom: "Well, why were you doing that? You're lucky you only got yelled at. Did I not teach you what to do when you get pulled over?"
Me: *sniffle* "But... but... he yelled at me!"
Mom: "Then don't do that again!"

Old Yesterday, 07:12 PM

I had a cop yell at me because I accidentally stepped in hot tar that was being laid down. I didn’t know it was still not dry. I was a little upset but I didn’t let it get to me too much. I didn’t call any family members crying about it.

Old Today, 07:16 AM

13,596 posts, read 21,881,757 times
Closed for moderation
Dayton, Akron-Canton in Ohio

Last edited by Miss Blue; Today at 07:46 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or