U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2019, 01:29 AM

30 posts, read 13,874 times

Advertisements

Yesterday around 3:00 PM my daughter got pulled over for speeding, she knows to show license and registration and after she got pulled over as the cop was walking up my daughter was going through her purse to get her license, but while she was doing it the cop yelled "Hey! Put your hands on the wheel!" she was very startled and did but got upset and started crying and the officer explained to get her license and registration which she did, but she said the officer wasn't nice and had a very authoritarian tone.

He came back and gave her a ticket and told her to slow down and left and she came home in tears. I understand speeding is a crime, I am not disputing that, but is it excessive for him to yell at her just for looking for her license in her purse?

Old 09-28-2019, 01:51 AM

4,604 posts, read 3,425,679 times
Well, it's a cop. His job is to control the situation. In this case he did so with his voice rather than with a gun, at least. Now she knows how to behave correctly at a traffic stop, which might save her life someday, given the paranoid style of policing that currently en vogue in the US.

Old 09-28-2019, 05:11 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,868,910 times
No, not excessive.

Old 09-28-2019, 05:28 AM

6,673 posts, read 8,020,855 times
No, sorry, but it's not excessive. While it would probably be the first thing most females do, grab their purse for their ID, he couldn't be sure why she grabbed her purse. She learned a valuable lesson. It's also made me think about my own future actions should I be pulled over--wait to get my ID until asked and then explain what I'm doing.

Old 09-28-2019, 05:33 AM

6,748 posts, read 3,741,688 times
Very reasonable response by the officer. If he couldn’t see her hands and she was going into her bag he wouldn’t know what she was doing. Safety first.

Old 09-28-2019, 06:16 AM

2,725 posts, read 2,114,922 times
Well, it’s a police officer’s job to verbally control the situation. They can’t read the minds of other people why they’re digging around in their purse or bag. Fyi, registration supposed to be in glove box, not in purse

Old 09-28-2019, 06:44 AM

11,206 posts, read 4,564,087 times
Getting a ticket for the first time, for people who are rule followers is typically a little traumatic.

During the traffic stop, you can sense the inequality of the relationship, and it's a little humiliating. Authoritarian tones do feel humiliating. Especially for those who don't usually experience them.

Did they not teach her in drivers ed what to do when a cop stops you? Pretty much rule number one is don't be rifling through a bag or reaching under the carseat. Show your hands and be still.

Old 09-28-2019, 07:18 AM

1,867 posts, read 880,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
Well, itís a police officerís job to verbally control the situation. They canít read the minds of other people why theyíre digging around in their purse or bag. Fyi, registration supposed to be in glove box, not in purse
The registration belongs wherever the owner thinks it belongs. In Texas, we don't have to carry the registration at all, unless it's a commercial vehicle. I've never seen the point in asking for registration in other states.

Old 09-28-2019, 07:54 AM

443 posts, read 101,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
The registration belongs wherever the owner thinks it belongs. In Texas, we don't have to carry the registration at all, unless it's a commercial vehicle. I've never seen the point in asking for registration in other states.
There's definitely states that ask for registration. Not sure which ones.

In any case, next time, leave the insurance and ownership in a clear ziplock bag and keep it in the glove compartment. Whenever a cop pulls you over, literally grab it and have it read. Cops actually like it when you do that.

Now, in the US, the level of paranoia for cops is off the charts. No different than the TSA basically treating a 5 year old like a terrorist when they do their search.

Old 09-28-2019, 08:14 AM

4,861 posts, read 3,838,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msgenerse View Post
He came back and gave her a ticket and told her to slow down and left and she came home in tears. I understand speeding is a crime, I am not disputing that, but is it excessive for him to yell at her just for looking for her license in her purse?
No. She could have been reaching for a gun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or