Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2019, 05:17 AM

158 posts, read 105,654 times

Advertisements

My daughter is 35, and while I always knew she was different, I tried to help her, yet she refuses to go to school or do anything with her life. I strongly suspect she has some autism. She has gotten jobs before but either gets fired or quits saying she just can't deal with working there. She has attended community College that I paid for, but quit that as well, twice.

She barely graduated high school as it is. I have tried to get her some therapy but she refuses to attend. She has had boyfriends but only for a short while, never any girlfriends. I just don't know what to do, I have tried everything, but it has been a very long and difficult time dealing with this. She spends most of her time browsing online, playing video games or just messing around in her room.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2019, 06:30 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,626,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msgenerse View Post
My daughter is 35, and while I always knew she was different, I tried to help her, yet she refuses to go to school or do anything with her life. I strongly suspect she has some autism. She has gotten jobs before but either gets fired or quits saying she just can't deal with working there. She has attended community College that I paid for, but quit that as well, twice.

She barely graduated high school as it is. I have tried to get her some therapy but she refuses to attend. She has had boyfriends but only for a short while, never any girlfriends. I just don't know what to do, I have tried everything, but it has been a very long and difficult time dealing with this. She spends most of her time browsing online, playing video games or just messing around in her room.
Did you not take her to a physician as a child or adolescent??

Old 06-08-2019, 07:41 AM

15,967 posts, read 20,946,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
My daughter is slightly younger than OP's, I don't recall autism being much of a 'thing' back then, at least as far as being something that was diagnosed AND talked about often. It probably wasn't on the radar for a lot of parents to ask their pediatricians about.

Old 06-08-2019, 07:57 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,720,453 times
Spends time in her room on videos at age 35??? She still lives with you?????

This first post seems a bit questionable but...

Insist she see a psychiatrist or evict her....you need to set boundaries that have consequences and she'll respond in kind, hopefully. If you don't change anything, she won't change...

Old 06-08-2019, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
My daughter is slightly younger than OP's, I don't recall autism being much of a 'thing' back then, at least as far as being something that was diagnosed AND talked about often. It probably wasn't on the radar for a lot of parents to ask their pediatricians about.
True ... especially for girls.

But developmental delays of any kind don't just show up when you're 35, OP.

Did she have issues as a child that you pursued with professionals?

Old 06-08-2019, 09:51 AM

30,585 posts, read 24,963,836 times
Quote:

This. 35 years ago we thought of autism as non verbal kids banging their heads into walls. It was rarer and generally appeared in boys. So, if daughter had issues, no one might have considered autism. But, surely there were signs of trouble? Has she had therapy? Is she able to take direction?

I do think that unless she is unable to work because of disability, in which case she needs to be on disability, she needs some tough love. Yeah, she need counseling or some type of therapy, but so does the OP. I sense that OP needs to set rules and enforce them.

But we don’t know why daughter refuses to engage with the world as an adult. So, there is a big question mark there. We don’t know if she has been spoiled, catered to, had a strict upbringing, is mentally deficient, etc.

Old 06-08-2019, 09:52 AM

Quote:

No, and I guess I should have. But still, at 35 she should be at a later stage of life.

Old 06-08-2019, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msgenerse View Post
No, and I guess I should have. But still, at 35 she should be at a later stage of life.
Well, sure, but you understand that if she does have some kind of impairment, she won't be able to progress through the typical stages like other people do.

We need more info in order to make helpful suggestions. How did she do in school? Has she ever worked?

Old 06-08-2019, 10:39 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,221,348 times
OP - this story sounds very familiar - what was the advice you received earlier?

Old 06-08-2019, 11:35 AM

Quote:
No, I get that I should have but I never did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting