U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2019, 04:58 PM

23,094 posts, read 15,078,499 times

Advertisements

My kids never expressed any particular desire to be anything. My oldest two decided in college what they wanted to do. My third sort of fell into a career after studying something else for years. I think the last child wanted to be a programmer maybe. But that never happened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2019, 06:56 PM

13,258 posts, read 21,123,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptt View Post
Our current healthcare system doesn’t support doctors and patients. Everything seems to dictate by insurance companies and big pharmaceutical. It is very hard and demanding career. Medical school would take away his twenties if he survived that then feeding into extremely long hours of residency. But that was just my opinion.
That was the experience of my son. He always wanted to be a surgeon, finished college and grad school then began med school. After a year, he left, having realized that he never saw his wife and would miss the childhood of his own baby. He has a great job, and a lot more free time to enjoy his family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
My kids never expressed any particular desire to be anything. My oldest two decided in college what they wanted to do. My third sort of fell into a career after studying something else for years. I think the last child wanted to be a programmer maybe. But that never happened.
Only one of ours had a goal, the other two also figured it out in college. It worked out for all of them, thankfully, they have careers they enjoy.

Old 10-03-2019, 07:19 PM

312 posts, read 108,638 times
Other than fantasizing about being a professional football player or baseball player, they had nothing more realistic in mind.

The older son is a classic first child, wants to help/care for others and majored in psychology. He’s made a career out of it without advanced degrees.

Younger son used to complain our vacations always had something educational. So he has a B.A. and M.A. in history and works for an educational media company. Too much cramming museums into our trips I guess.

Old 10-04-2019, 02:47 AM

6,681 posts, read 3,126,866 times
Eldest son- Chose the longest train ride around to get to his desired and long term aspiration.

Did 6 years of college to attain a masters in Journalism. Worked at a huge Print publication firm.
Got burnt out after two years,and went back to college another two years to get his teachers license.
Teaches English to 7th graders.

His real aspiration? To be an author/writer. So far he has published two sci- fi books. Although his talent is in poetry and short stories. He collaborated with his son on the sci-fi , just to see if it would peak any interest.

My Youngest son, has a massive talent for anime in computer and graphics. He has though had to do that as a "hobby" because his health requires him to have full time employ to receive some of the benefits necessary to keep him well.

Old 10-04-2019, 03:58 AM

3,770 posts, read 9,714,866 times
At 12, I knew I wanted to be involved in money and loved detective type work. Went into accounting and ended up working in the Taxpayer Advocate's office of the IRS. All about money and trying to figure out problems with systems.

What is funny is that I studied occupations and educational requirements and decided that any degree that required a foreign language was not for me. So this also helped to focus my occupational ideas. I was very analytical.

Wish I had better instructors in secondary school for the sciences as this occupational area might have been even better for me. But they were generally awful.

Old 10-04-2019, 05:12 AM

1,278 posts, read 855,244 times
My daughter wanted to be a astronaut and my son a rockstar, dd is now a RN and son worked as a cameraman and sound tech for a news station for awhile and is now working for a company and taking classes in accounting paid for by the business.

Old 10-04-2019, 06:47 AM

10,772 posts, read 12,673,961 times
Children today should focus on a career that makes them happy........and a decent living.

I have a sister that is a teacher and she loves it, really feels she is making a difference in kids lives.

Old 10-04-2019, 07:16 AM

5,947 posts, read 4,348,418 times
My oldest son had no interest in pursuing a career. He never talked about what he "wanted to be when he grew up"
He cuts firewood for a living. It pays the bills, but we often help him with groceries. We tried to encourage him to get into anything. He would have loved racing dirt bikes, but unless you are tops, there is no money in that. We would have gladly paid his way to college or university. Zero interest and is one credit short of a high school diploma. Also drinks too much when he has the money for it. He is single, no kids TG!
Yes, it is disappointing, but he's a very nice, respectful and well mannered person, and we are still very proud to call him our son.

My youngest son wanted to be a real estate agent like his dad. Tried reading the books for the first course and said "no way" He took a course in heavy equipment and now works on the railroad repairing/welding ties together. Good pay, long hours, but loves it. Happily married and they have a sweet little 31/2 year old daughter.

Old 10-04-2019, 07:39 AM

10,950 posts, read 14,692,868 times
My nephew wound up in the career he picked out when he was around twelve.
My son is in the field he chose when he was around sixteen, with a few detours along the way.
My daughter, well her path looks a bit like a scribble on a page, she's never had a clear idea of what she wanted, and at this stage of the game I'm not sure she ever will. The one thing that stays consistent is that she'd eventually like to wind up living and working overseas.

Old 10-04-2019, 07:47 AM

4,202 posts, read 2,906,804 times
I don't think anyone in our family ever had a clear career goal from childhood who followed through. Everyone has had twists and turns and different opportunities and experiences that has changed their minds and/or led them to what they're doing today.

Our one daughter who wanted to be a pediatrician and got a full ride scholarship, gave it all up when she didn't like her chemistry classes and wanted to follow a boy to another college. But she is extremely successful in business and sales, that's her thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or