Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2019, 07:52 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,186,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptt View Post
I wonder if any of your kid become what they wanted to be when they were young? My 12 years old wanted to be a doctor since kindergarten and i do hope that he changes his minds to something else.
I grew up in the Fifties and my parents had my life planned for me from cradle to grave. For my mother I was supposed to be a stud bull and produce grandchildren for her, and my father leaned toward having me take over the small business he started. Period, my input not required.

I liked to write. Majored in journalism and anthropology. Never worked for a publication, but did spend much of my life writing reports, papers, etc. for people who couldn't manage it. Wrote a novel which sold modestly and was enjoyable to write.

As for my parents road maps for me: I had an illegitimate child, but never informed my mother as she would have ram-jammed her way into the life of the couple who raised him as if it were her right. My father at a young age, and when I had a decent job that I enjoyed teaching far away from my old home town and his business was sold. My parents were thoroughly disappointed with my life.

I have one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel, and have no serious regrets about my life or my livelihood....the good, the bad, the beautiful, the end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2019, 08:00 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,450,731 times
One child is happily working in her desired career field, the other is still figuring things out. Has a decent job a couple of years out of college, but it isn't what he's particularly interested in or has a passion for.

Old 10-04-2019, 08:34 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,540,599 times
Not sure if this is allowed here, so delete if not...

Thank you to the person who wrote me a nice message and a rep about my oldest son. Very appreciated

Old 10-04-2019, 09:20 AM

1,013 posts, read 724,840 times
Sometimes people can’t support themselves in a field that nourishes their passion. I’ve known a few who have a regular job to pay the bills, but find fulfillment in an avocation. Writing, community theater, coaching youth sports, art. It doesn’t always work out to be a career, but what they do in spare time can make for a fuller life.

Old 10-04-2019, 10:26 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,131,933 times
My youngest did. I remember as a little kid his fascination with fire trucks and ambulances. He never missed a repeat episode of "Emergency" about Squad 51 of the Los Angeles County Fire Department from the 1970s.

He was just 14 when 911 happened, but it hit him hard and he was motivated to go into emergency medical services. After working as an EMT for an ambulance company, he was promoted to supervisor, then became operations manager at another company. Most recently he took a job with a nearby county in their EM department, and was just promoted to director of emergency medical services at age 32.

Old 10-04-2019, 10:53 AM

12,038 posts, read 8,411,860 times
I think my daughter did. Since age sixteen she wanted to run a restaurant. She's presently a private chef, caterer and is helping to plan a new restaurant opening where she will cook.

My son wanted to be a ninja, an apple-picker operator, Michael Jackson, a break dancer, Tony Hawk, a Lamborghini racer, Phil Collins, an Army guy and a Duke of Hazard. But most of all he wanted to avoid college. He achieved that.

Old 10-04-2019, 12:27 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,476,643 times
Have a couple of stories about my family members:

Husband dropped out of college due to illness and enlisted in the Army during Vietnam to get his choice of job(he knew he did not want to get shot at.) A teacher told him there was a future in "computers" so he got in that class on the ground floor of punch cards and grew with the industry to retire 40 years later.

My brother was a fully certified and experienced civil engineer. He needed health insurance and found that he got good coverage as a postal carrier. Since he had lived in his town his whole life, he could work any route. Gave up being a civil engineer, took the postal job and retired after about 15 years. He loved it but was so overqualified.

Old 10-04-2019, 06:25 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,142,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLfan1977 View Post
Sometimes people can’t support themselves in a field that nourishes their passion. I’ve known a few who have a regular job to pay the bills, but find fulfillment in an avocation. Writing, community theater, coaching youth sports, art. It doesn’t always work out to be a career, but what they do in spare time can make for a fuller life.
Excellent points.

Old 10-04-2019, 08:32 PM

7,322 posts, read 6,922,759 times
My son always enjoyed carpentry and that is what he is doing now.
My daughter enjoyed baking and that is what she does now.

Old 10-05-2019, 12:02 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,491,098 times
No. My daughter wanted to be in entertainment, but ended up in a managerial type of job. She's an expert in her field, but laments not having been able to pursue what she really loved. She's in her early 40's now. Makes really decent money for the area, but isn't really happy other than just knowing she's really good at what she does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting